Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Fast N' Loud New Bullit tribute tonight

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Fast N' Loud New Bullit tribute tonight

Old 07-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So did Fake and Loud end up making a decent tribute car or did they just gloss over the car for more tv drama?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Received 459 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
So did Fake and Loud end up making a decent tribute car or did they just gloss over the car for more tv drama?
I didn't watch the show, itself, but saw the previews a number of times. It looks like they took a decent, but somewhat rough, '68, and fixed it up fairly well.

But the premise of most of these "car rebuild shows" still kind of confounds me. Yes, in some cases, these builders take a basket case car and turn it into something that looks and runs pretty good, and they're pretty thorough in what they do. Maybe I'm too big a skeptic, because I live in the northeast US, commonly known as the "rust belt". As an example of what I'm getting at, I owned a 1977 Pontiac T/A for close to 25 years.

I bought the car brand new, in the fall of 1976. I never drove it in the winter, but it was a daily driver during the summer for about 10 years, meaning that it did see duty in the rain. Despite never being driven through the winter salt, the car still developed some serious, but random, rust issues. The RH rear quarter panel had gone bad, and the underside of the hood, where the inner and outer panels were welded together, began to rust pretty heavily. And even though the car was regularly waxed, and the last 20 years I had it, it was regularly garaged, the paint was starting to develop cracks. I wound up selling the car, and buying my C-5, as I didn't have the time or the $$$$ to restore the car, even though it was at least 10X better than the "wrecks" the car rebuild shows start out with.

Given my personal experience, I don't see how you can take a car that's 40 years old, in rough shape, and get it back 100%, to "like new" condition. There are just way to many "hidden areas" where corrosion can still be lurking. Just my $0.02 worth.....
Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I didn't watch the show, itself, but saw the previews a number of times. It looks like they took a decent, but somewhat rough, '68, and fixed it up fairly well.

But the premise of most of these "car rebuild shows" still kind of confounds me. Yes, in some cases, these builders take a basket case car and turn it into something that looks and runs pretty good, and they're pretty thorough in what they do. Maybe I'm too big a skeptic, because I live in the northeast US, commonly known as the "rust belt". As an example of what I'm getting at, I owned a 1977 Pontiac T/A for close to 25 years.

I bought the car brand new, in the fall of 1976. I never drove it in the winter, but it was a daily driver during the summer for about 10 years, meaning that it did see duty in the rain. Despite never being driven through the winter salt, the car still developed some serious, but random, rust issues. The RH rear quarter panel had gone bad, and the underside of the hood, where the inner and outer panels were welded together, began to rust pretty heavily. And even though the car was regularly waxed, and the last 20 years I had it, it was regularly garaged, the paint was starting to develop cracks. I wound up selling the car, and buying my C-5, as I didn't have the time or the $$$$ to restore the car, even though it was at least 10X better than the "wrecks" the car rebuild shows start out with.

Given my personal experience, I don't see how you can take a car that's 40 years old, in rough shape, and get it back 100%, to "like new" condition. There are just way to many "hidden areas" where corrosion can still be lurking. Just my $0.02 worth.....

I worked with a guy who bought a boss 302 new back in 1970. He said it immediately starting rusting and after 3 years in WPa (part of the rust belt) he got rid of it. Thats why I'm skeptical of all these old mustang restorations. Back then they were junk. Not just Mustangs either. I had a 67 firebird 400 that rusted out thru the trunk. If the rear window wasn't sealed properly it drained into the trunk.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 AM
psychodiagnostik
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't watched it in a long time, there's just so much better car content on YouTube. Comparing Rawlings to the current good YouTube stuff is like comparing pro wrestling to MMA.

Even my boomer father in law quit watching Rawlings & Stacy David once he figured out he can just watch endless top fuel/Winternationals "best of" type compilations on YouTube.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Received 459 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
……….I worked with a guy who bought a boss 302 new back in 1970. He said it immediately starting rusting and after 3 years in WPa (part of the rust belt) he got rid of it. Thats why I'm skeptical of all these old mustang restorations. Back then they were junk. Not just Mustangs either. I had a 67 firebird 400 that rusted out thru the trunk. If the rear window wasn't sealed properly it drained into the trunk.

I think that's what happened to my Firebird....

The other thing, is back then, the fast cars were selling as fast as they could make them. Make (produce) them faster, by cutting corners, the more that were available to be sold.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 PM
MAD IN NC
CF Senior Member

Received 1,771 Likes on 896 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by geewez View Post
...........I Googled 68 Mustang fastbacks for sale and all the listed cars for sale were listed for unbelievable prices now no doubt because of the movie.

really... doubt the movie had a $1 impact.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by terry82 View Post
they had 32 days to find a car ,build the car then ship it out to California.how can you do that in that amount time and do it right. I have always liked the 1968 bulllit car,but at the prices that they are wanting today,i think I would rather buy a new one and have a warranty.
80-90 man hours a day
unlimited amount of vendors helping to source parts
plenty of money
and the car if you watched, was fairly rust free and didn’t need loads of body work plus they were not customizing the car all that much.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Fast one
CF Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

The lack of advanced planning with meetings seems to be a problem there; typical example, someone buys a larger engine without researching resulting in headers that don't fit. No one asks the client exactly what he wants or what he will allow before the build starts so there is little information to share. One employee takes a truck that was repaired on a test drive and it gets totaled, the same employee breaks the transmission in the Mustang just as it's ready to ship causing more delay in a tight schedule. Nothing improves from one season to the next and the personel are oblivious to it.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 AM
ShagVette
CF Senior Member

Received 472 Likes on 255 Posts

Obviously mistakes happen and changes are needed, but a while back in an interview he said everything is planned way ahead of time, all parts are ordered etc. He was honest in saying that's the only way the builds can be completed in 30 days, so it's edited to create (more) drama.

They won't alter how it goes from one season to the next, unless ratings fall.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Chambered
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Z51 View Post
Can't stand that guy or the show. No plans to watch.
Same here. I don't have tats - I'm not in their league & have no right to hang with them. Just not cool enough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fast N' Loud New Bullit tribute tonight

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: