Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

I had to use craftsman tools today.

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

I had to use craftsman tools today.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 AM
lakota
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The push button release on the socket wrench was invented by a young SEARS employee in the 70's. Sears screwed the kid on the invention and a lawsuit followed. I hear the suit dragged on for years.

Buddy told me that SNAP-ON had the patent on sockets where they grab on the flat of the nut , not the corner. So no slip.The patent expired years ago, so others now use this method.

Last edited by lakota; 07-11-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:33 AM
NDMIKE88
CF Senior Member

Received 112 Likes on 96 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I have been using Craftsman tools for 50 years and never have had a problem with any of them. Maybe I have the old style before they went to everything being China made.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Badger97
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88 View Post
I have been using Craftsman tools for 50 years and never have had a problem with any of them. Maybe I have the old style before they went to everything being China made.
I have it on good authority that Stanley Black and Decker plans to bring most, if not all, Craftsman production back to the US and produce in their own factories.

Last edited by Badger97; 07-11-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
S-K is running a 30% off till tonight

https://sktools.com/content/sktools/...SAAEgJkuPD_BwE

wow $100 for a hammer.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:03 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
wow $100 for a hammer.

Looks like Trusty Cook make the ball peen hammer for them, nice ball peen hammers

https://trustycook.com/product/ball-peen-5-pack/

Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Mikeceli
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SK has some nice tools!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Mikeceli
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by lakota View Post
The push button release on the socket wrench was invented by a young SEARS employee in the 70's. Sears screwed the kid on the invention and a lawsuit followed. I hear the suit dragged on for years.

Buddy told me that SNAP-ON had the patent on sockets where they grab on the flat of the nut , not the corner. So no slip.The patent expired years ago, so others know use this method.

Both correct! The Sears employee DID win the push-button release lawsuit. it took decades, as I recall.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners :yesnod:
Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
1950s Craftsman were some nice tools. My dad's got a bunch. I have a newer Craftsman set. Not nearly as good. The latest stuff is Chinese, and absolute crap
This

/thread
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM
psychodiagnostik
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really, really hard to get decent home-gamer tools these days. Maybe SK but I've not found them locally, it's all been from Amazon. Craftsman & Kobalt used to be pretty good, a some of the Kobalt & Craftsman Pro tools used to be made by the same manufacturers that made the tool truck tools at that time. But now these "brands" are just that, a brand selections of tools that are pretty much the same as HarborFreight but more expensive.

There are all sorts of websites where you can cross reference a Matco/SnapOn/Cornwell tool to see if it's sold cheaper under another brand, but it's rare to be able to use this hack nowadays in a way that makes sense. There are some SnapOn tool codes branded as Caterpillar and the Caterpillar version is more expensive than the SnapOn!

Even though I work in the garage a ton & have always had a couple of project cars, I can't justify the cost of tool truck tools. These are beautiful tools & I love to get one here and there when I find a great deal on some used ones but I think these are for guys using their tools to make their living. New automotive dealer techs have "starter" boxes and sets that cost as much as an engineering degree and they have to keep buying new diagnostic software for as long as they're working.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:19 AM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

S&K are insanely good tools. I got a set of their wrenches 20 years ago, and the damn things still look brand new.

No idea what they cost, I had a g/f at the time give them to me for an x-mas present (her name started with a K, so S&K, get it?).

Yeah, the one that got away.......I shoulda married that chick. She ended up marrying a hedge fund manager and now lives on a vineyard in Sonoma. She won.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:48 AM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeceli View Post
SK has some nice tools!

Their OK. I have just about everything SK made in the 60s and let me tell you the difference between those made in the 60s and SK made in at least the last 20 years, Stevie Wonder could tell the difference. I worked PT at my buddies speed shop/garage in the 60s + worked a lot on my street racer and my tools got a real serious work out.

The fit and finish are easily noticeable. Another thing that is notable is the price, a tool I paid $5 is now $20+ and as stated not near as good as the old stuff.
I had to replace a couple lost sockets and naturally wanted to keep the SK family intact. I was amazed at not the cost difference but at the diminished quality would be a understatement.

Last edited by 6spdC6; 07-11-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM
artz66
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Mikeceli
CF Senior Member

It's not that there is anything really wrong w/ Craftsman tools, some of them are "clunky" to use. Example the old "cross bar" ratchet ratchet wrenches have a direction selector "cross bar" that requires re-positioning the wrench in your hand to operate. Not a problem if your working on a bicycle, but a PITA if your in a tight, engine compartment spot, fighting a tough to reach, fastener.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:57 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 597 Likes on 382 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Snap On......over priced re-branded tools.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Fastbird
Former Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Almost all my tools are Craftsman save for (what I can immediately think of) a Tekton Torque Wrench and four Snap On ratchets (dual 88's). I used all this stuff professionally for a few years and none of the craftsman stuff let me down. It's all 90's-2000's era stuff, so late USA made stuff. My favorite out of everything are the Professional wrenches and the USA made (short lived) reversible ratcheting wrenches. My basement box (used to be home toolbox) also has a full USA made compliment of sockets/ratchets and a smaller standard/metric Industrial wrench set. All good stuff, never let me down. I think in the 20+ years I've been working on things I've had a SINGLE socket fail on me, and that was my own stupidity (overtorqued a 1/4" 10mm deep socket and split it).

Stay away from the china crap though. Worlds of difference. Soft, and overcompensated for with extra metal added, etc.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:43 AM
lakota
CF Senior Member

The China crap that I loved is the Harbor Freight composite socket wrenches. Got all three, 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". Dirt cheap in price.

"composite socket wrench is a great tool for everyday use. It’s lightweight yet durable and feels great in your hand. The 72-tooth ratchet is made of chrome vanadium steel for long performance life. The lightweight composite handle features a comfortable rubber grip. And because the socket wrench is composite instead of metal, you don’t have to worry about touching battery terminals."

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-ei...het-66313.html

Last edited by lakota; 07-12-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Well holy ****, they can afford to give 30% off when they're priced 500% too high to begin with.

I own some SK tools (wrenches and I think one ratchet I seldom use). They're very nice wrenches, possibly the nicest I have, but the ratchet is meh.. Holy overpriced batman. They could not have been that bad when I bought them or I wouldn't own em. I don't know what happened there, but my god they gouge. Must sell to .gov only is all I can figure out.
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Snap On......over priced re-branded tools.
Stop the presses! Mok actually gets something!
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
The China crap that I loved is the Harbor Freight composite socket wrenches. Got all three, 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". Dirt cheap in price.

"composite socket wrench is a great tool for everyday use. Itís lightweight yet durable and feels great in your hand. The 72-tooth ratchet is made of chrome vanadium steel for long performance life. The lightweight composite handle features a comfortable rubber grip. And because the socket wrench is composite instead of metal, you donít have to worry about touching battery terminals."

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-ei...het-66313.html
Holy cow, I own 2 of them and didn't even know what they were! They were on sale one day a few months ago and I bought the 3/8 and 1/4 ones, they've become my favorite go-to ratchets. Used em when I pulled the rear/trans out of the Vette. Didn't realize they were anything 'special'. Showed them to a friend of mine who owns a boatload of Craftsman and Snap-off stuff and he really liked them too.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Pete2k_Z28
CF Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Kobalt tools at Lowes are made by Snap On. They just don't charge a home mortgage price for them like Snap On dealers do.
From what I can tell Kobalt is gone, and Lowes is all Craftsman now...
Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 AM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

Received 604 Likes on 428 Posts

Nothing like Snap on. I have some Craftsman at home. Can always feel the difference. Just bought a new 1/4 drive ratchet yesterday for $130. Definitely overpriced but nice to have in tight places.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 AM
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28 View Post
From what I can tell Kobalt is gone, and Lowes is all Craftsman now...

I was shocked this year to see my local Loweís go all in with Craftsman tools, they are front and center in their tool section. Last I checked they were still selling Kobalt though. If they arenít selling Kobalt, who is? Iíve bought quite a few Kobalt tools in the last few years while the future of Craftsman was looking questionable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I had to use craftsman tools today.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: