Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

I had to use craftsman tools today.

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

I had to use craftsman tools today.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:34 PM
artz66
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I had to use craftsman tools today.

And boy do they suck compared to snap on. At work we all have snap on boxes that were assigned and hand receipted from Uncle Sam. Anything goes missing we pay out of pocket. There is one guy thatís a temp with us and he gets the only craftsman box. He had to go work at a different armory today and I had to finish up a job in his bay and use his tools. They just feel cheap and the ratchets and ratcheting wrenches are loose and have a sloppy feel, and most are newer.

Iíve seen full time mechanics use craftsman and I donít know how. I have husky at home and it does just fine for little jobs and tinkering but anything major I take to the shop and use my work tools.

Small rant over.

Last edited by artz66; 07-10-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:43 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Growing up, my dad had a decent collection of Craftsman tools of unknown age. When I started wrenching on dirt bikes, cars etc, if I ever broke one of his tools...I took it down to Sears and swapped it out for a new free like for like replacement, no questions asked. The lifetime warranty was pretty cool for me back then.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:46 PM
htown81vette
CF Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My father used to sell snap on tools during the 70's and 80's. They were top notch. I inherited alot of his snap on tools, and many of them had other peoples names engraved on the tools, since he had to confiscate them after they failed to make payments. Belive it or not he could not afford to buy his own tools even at dealers prices, but he could if his customers could not make the payments! LOL. It was a different time back then, people bought tools on revolving credit, then often could not make the payments. Most people did not have credit cards.

I even had to go with him on some weekends to collect money from those "dead beats". My job (I was only 12 or so). Was to start the car, have it running, have his door unlocked but mine locked if he came out of the house running. LOL!

Alot of people cry about snap on tools today say snap on tools are cheaply made these days. I interpret them really saying "I cannot afford snap on tools but want them, the next best thing to do is cry about it".

However, craftsman get the job done for what I need to do.

But I agree snap on tools are nice tools.

Last edited by htown81vette; 07-10-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Steve_R
ĎSack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,190 Likes on 992 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Kobalt tools at Lowes are made by Snap On. They just don't charge a home mortgage price for them like Snap On dealers do.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:00 PM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Kobalt tools at Lowes are made by Snap On. They just don't charge a home mortgage price for them like Snap On dealers do.
That used to be the case. Williams was the actual manufacturer, a Snap-on company.

Williams also made Kobalt.

Now Kobalt is made by Danaher, no longer made by Williams (which is a division of Snap-on).

At least that's the last I heard. My interaction with Snap-on isn't what it used to be, when I had my Snap-on corporate contact's name on speed dial a few years back.....

Last edited by scottycards; 07-10-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:04 PM
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a $29 3 piece ratchet set from Lowe's/Kobalt, 90 tooth. I grab those so I don't scratch my Snap-on's next to them. I actually like the Kobalt better than the Snap-on since it has the push button release. They look very similar otherwise.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:45 PM
my02cents
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I broke a Star Bit (T-30) the other day and went to Lowe's to get the Craftsman replacement but they hadn't stocked that item yet. They had a set there for $24.99. I said you know what, it's a small tool, I'm going to treat myself and buy my first Snap On tool. They are $389.00 for the same set of 10. I nearly **** myself. I'm scared to know what actual tools cost from there.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Gordon Shumway
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 View Post
Growing up, my dad had a decent collection of Craftsman tools of unknown age. When I started wrenching on dirt bikes, cars etc, if I ever broke one of his tools...I took it down to Sears and swapped it out for a new free like for like replacement, no questions asked. The lifetime warranty was pretty cool for me back then.

I was in a Sears about 25-30 years ago, when Sears/Craftsman were still relevant, and saw the damnedest lifetime guarantee situation play out. There was a disheveled looking guy that was likely homeless and on drugs trying to return for cash a big box of probably 30's era tools. There were hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, the whole works in the box, and every one of them was so rusted out, you could barely recognize them.

He clearly dug these up somewhere, and was absolutely insistent he get a cash refund for them. This went on on for a long time, and I finally walked away from the building audience of this train wreck in process. I doubt the guy won, as the manager was pretty insistent, and was playing the "show me the receipt" card, when I finally left.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Texan79423
CF Senior Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

I had to drive a ZR1 today as my Bugatti was in for it's annual $30,000 service. The 02019 Z felt so cheap to me
Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

S-K is running a 30% off till tonight

https://sktools.com/content/sktools/...SAAEgJkuPD_BwE
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM
Badger97
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
That used to be the case. Williams was the actual manufacturer, a Snap-on company.

Williams also made Kobalt.

Now Kobalt is made by Danaher, no longer made by Williams (which is a division of Snap-on).

At least that's the last I heard. My interaction with Snap-on isn't what it used to be, when I had my Snap-on corporate contact's name on speed dial a few years back.....
Danaher hasnít made Kobalt since 2011
Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 PM
noonie
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by artz66 View Post
And boy do they suck compared to snap on. At work we all have snap on boxes that were assigned and hand receipted from Uncle Sam. Anything goes missing we pay out of pocket. There is one guy thatís a temp with us and he gets the only craftsman box. He had to go work at a different armory today and I had to finish up a job in his bay and use his tools. They just feel cheap and the ratchets and ratcheting wrenches are loose and have a sloppy feel, and most are newer.

Iíve seen full time mechanics use craftsman and I donít know how. I have husky at home and it does just fine for little jobs and tinkering but anything major I take to the shop and use my work tools.

Small rant over.

Hard to switch once you get used to SnapOn

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
You can get great prices on Williams and can't really tell the difference between their retail SnapOn, just can't get them off a truck.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 PM
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts

So what you’re saying is Snap-on makes better quality tools than Craftsman??? Someone alert CNN, this is some serious headline news.....
Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by artz66 View Post

Small rant over.
no wonder our damn taxes are so high. Harbor Freight will do anything that Snap-On will do. Damn wasteful spending sob's . . .
Old 07-10-2019, 07:30 PM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Received 394 Likes on 293 Posts

If someone else was buying my tools I would probably use Snap-On tools, too, maybe some gold plated ones.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 PM
patriotpa
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

1950s Craftsman were some nice tools. My dad's got a bunch. I have a newer Craftsman set. Not nearly as good. The latest stuff is Chinese, and absolute crap. I rounded out the jaws of an open end wrench. Unbelievable. I didn't even even bother taking it back. Instead, I got on Ebay and got a NOS set of Atlas wrenches, still with the original labels on them, American made. No more Craftsman for me.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,659 Likes on 3,959 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not a pro mechanic, but I have used Craftsman tools for better than 50 years and have no complaints. But I will say Snap on are excellent tools also.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Yamoto
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some cheap brand tools are fine, but all my ratchets and most sockets are Snap On, same for pliers of all types.

You can't beat a SO ratchet for feel. People who don't sue them every day simply can't appreciate good tools and for valid reasons. However people that use tools all day absolutely can appreciate the finer qualities of expensive tools. Other brands are probably just as good, but SO is the only guy that comes around and has been in business for years. Twice now a Matco guy started up and neither made it 6 months. The SO guy wont give truck credit unless he really trusts you. The other guys were trying hard to get tools out there and could never get paid.

The SO guy was in 3 weeks ago and had just got a huge deal with the local airforce base, he was going on a vacation to Spain right after lol I hear he makes roughly 30% margin....if that's true, he's doing amazingly well.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Yamoto
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my02cents View Post
I broke a Star Bit (T-30) the other day and went to Lowe's to get the Craftsman replacement but they hadn't stocked that item yet. They had a set there for $24.99. I said you know what, it's a small tool, I'm going to treat myself and buy my first Snap On tool. They are $389.00 for the same set of 10. I nearly **** myself. I'm scared to know what actual tools cost from there.
Much of their stuff is priced insanely and I don't suggest them for every tool you need, a 3/8 rtchet was something like $189, gotta have a few different ones too lol.

The thing is, they don't position themselves to sell to regular folks, that's why they are on a truck and go to shops and military bases. When a mechanic needs some weird obscure tool that Sears/ HD/Lowes has no sweet clue that the tool even exists, the SO guy can say "oh yea, the '**** this ******* piece of **** car special tool Part # 214EFTLK" and hand it to you in 5 seconds....for $149.95.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 PM
artz66
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan79423 View Post
I had to drive a ZR1 today as my Bugatti was in for it's annual $30,000 service. The 02019 Z felt so cheap to me
Thats pretty much how I felt. They were adequate and good for the money but not the same.

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z View Post
So what youíre saying is Snap-on makes better quality tools than Craftsman??? Someone alert CNN, this is some serious headline news.....
Thats what im trying to do

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
no wonder our damn taxes are so high. Harbor Freight will do anything that Snap-On will do. Damn wasteful spending sob's . . .
I donít get to keep them. I know the box Iím working out of is 12 years old.

Originally Posted by juanvaldez View Post
If someone else was buying my tools I would probably use Snap-On tools, too, maybe some gold plated ones.
I should put in a request

Originally Posted by Yamoto View Post
Much of their stuff is priced insanely and I don't suggest them for every tool you need, a 3/8 rtchet was something like $189, gotta have a few different ones too lol.

The thing is, they don't position themselves to sell to regular folks, that's why they are on a truck and go to shops and military bases. When a mechanic needs some weird obscure tool that Sears/ HD/Lowes has no sweet clue that the tool even exists, the SO guy can say "oh yea, the '**** this ******* piece of **** car special tool Part # 214EFTLK" and hand it to you in 5 seconds....for $149.95.
True story but most auto parts are the same. I think I paid 36.00 for an O2 sensor socket for Chevy thatís basically a 3.00 crows foot just deeper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I had to use craftsman tools today.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: