Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

huntsville alabama

Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

I live in Huntsville and work on large, liquid-fueled rocket engines like RS-25, RD-181, Merlin 1D, and MvacD.

I'm going on a cruise in August, but send me a PM if you are interested, with your phone number and dates.

If I'm in town, I will show you around Marshall Space Flight Center (if you are a US citizen). Where our space program started. Should take a couple of hours, max.

Of course, the space museum is definitely worth a look, also, and how long it takes is up to you. They normally show some good movies there, but you will need to check the schedule. You could breeze through the museum relatively quickly, or spend all day there if you are really interested. I might have time to meet you over there, too, but I'm pretty busy these days.

By the way, the Saturn V that they have at the museum was built to fly. The vertical one is a replica but the one overhead in the Davidson Center is the real deal.

Last edited by Tonylmiller; 07-11-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:16 AM
rprice
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GEODON View Post
sounds like a hillbilly dump. Bunch of mom and pop shops pick up trucks everywhere and they park slanted. Everyone christian and square dancing on weekends. No thanks. Do they even have an airport?
Thanks! Sounds like my kind of place.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:16 AM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 334 Likes on 280 Posts

Not a ton to do here, Space Camp/Rocket Center is cool but its a few hours. I second going to Campus 805 and Yellowhammer/Straight to Ale. Food is good, beer is good. StA is a hoppy set of beers, YH has more Belgians and then the pizza next door.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I live in Huntsville and work on large, liquid-fueled rocket engines like RS-25, RD-181, Merlin 1D, and MvacD.

I'm going on a cruise in August, but send me a PM if you are interested, with your phone number and dates.

If I'm in town, I will show you around Marshall Space Flight Center (if you are a US citizen). Where our space program started. Should take a couple of hours, max.

Of course, the space museum is definitely worth a look, also, and how long it takes is up to you. They normally show some good movies there, but you will need to check the schedule. You could breeze through the museum relatively quickly, or spend all day there if you are really interested. I might have time to meet you over there, too, but I'm pretty busy these days.

By the way, the Saturn V that they have at the museum was built to fly. The vertical one is a replica but the one overhead in the Davidson Center is the real deal.
OP, DO THIS. Tony is a real deal rocket scientist. He was kind enough to show me and my mom around the site when I was back there last year. So totally worth it.

Wear comfy shoes, he walks fast.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners :yesnod:
Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by rprice View Post
Thanks! Sounds like my kind of place.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:48 AM
dwjz06
Dogface
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Doing my time until I can leave this crappy azz liberal state. (MD)
Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

did not know that.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dwjz06 View Post
did not know that.
I think they built 3 that they never flew. They shut the program down. I would think they would have flown the ones they already had built.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
OP, DO THIS. Tony is a real deal rocket scientist. He was kind enough to show me and my mom around the site when I was back there last year. So totally worth it.

Wear comfy shoes, he walks fast.
Hehe. Tell your Mom I said hello. She is a real sweetheart and a big space fan.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

I will do that!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 PM
dwjz06
Dogface
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Doing my time until I can leave this crappy azz liberal state. (MD)
Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I think they built 3 that they never flew. They shut the program down. I would think they would have flown the ones they already had built.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 PM
alamike
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In downtown, Pints and Pixels is neat if you like pub food, beer and pinball machines. You can take a short ride, and do the Jack Daniel's tour and eat lunch at Miss Mary Bobos. Yes, Hunts patch has an airport but it is expensive to fly into due to all the government and contractor frequent flyers.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 PM
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cuckslayer View Post
They have phenomenal German restaurants as they brought all the smart ***** there after WWII.. I am not joking.. Probably best German food outside of Germany! (Otherwise my Digium boys are there and that is the reason I go there as I am an investor in Asterisk/Digium)
A guy I knew who worked for NASA in California said there were so many Germans there they used to call it Hunsville.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 PM
jh225
CF Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

sounds like a hillbilly dump. Bunch of mom and pop shops pick up trucks everywhere and they park slanted. Everyone christian and square dancing on weekends. No thanks. Do they even have an airport?
Pretty amusing that the 1 person on these forums that most sounds (and types) like an inbred hick, is the guy that constantly has **** to say about other people’s towns and way of life..........
Old 07-11-2019, 06:51 PM
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

when they killed Apollo they had 3 moon rockets and 1 applications saturn. the moon rockets are in Huntsville and KSC I THINK the third is in the smithsonian. if not there then it's in Houston.
the applications bird put Skylab up
Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 PM
rgregory
CF Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Had to go to hunstville many times to meet military people at Redstone, rail impact testing there and had to go for meetings about military contracts. But there were a few decent strip clubs there years ago. That was the highlight of any trip there.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:06 PM
That Bad Man
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14,'16

Hopper's at the Holiday Inn Research Park use to be quite the fun spot...
Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 PM
GEODON
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
Pretty amusing that the 1 person on these forums that most sounds (and types) like an inbred hick, is the guy that constantly has **** to say about other people’s towns and way of life..........
so I would expect you to be in the chicago threads and call out those who talk **** about the city the people and the way of life? Or does it only apply for those that do it to mayberry towns?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:06 AM
jh225
CF Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

so I would expect you to be in the chicago threads and call out those who talk **** about the city the people and the way of life? Or does it only apply for those that do it to mayberry towns?
Here’s a thought. Why would you talk **** about a town you know nothing about, no matter where it is? But again, you are the one person on these forums that should NEVER talk about a townor a person being “country”, “back woods” , or uneducated considering the way you post 99% of the time (which as we know, is an act). It literally makes you look more ignorant. Then again, it is a free country and if you choose to make yourself look even more foolish, knock yourself out.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:52 AM
War Eagle ZO6
Loser Sr.

Received 105 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14, '16-'17

I grew up probably 25 miles away from Marshall Space Flight Center, I never once visited it even as a kid on field trips and stuff. How pathetic is that?.... and I was always fascinated by space.
I definitely plan on checking it out on one of my visits in the future, heck I think Denise has a relative that works there or something.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Tonylmiller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
Here’s a thought. Why would you talk **** about a town you know nothing about, no matter where it is? But again, you are the one person on these forums that should NEVER talk about a townor a person being “country”, “back woods” , or uneducated considering the way you post 99% of the time (which as we know, is an act). It literally makes you look more ignorant. Then again, it is a free country and if you choose to make yourself look even more foolish, knock yourself out.
Yeah, anyone who thinks Huntsville is a backward hick town either has not been here, or didn't get to see much of the city.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: huntsville alabama

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: