Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Yellowstone Experts?

Old 07-11-2019, 11:45 AM
SilverBullitt
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Default Yellowstone Experts?

I'm thinking about taking my elderly parents on a trip to Yellowstone this Fall. They no longer feel comfortable traveling alone, but they want to see Yellowstone. I'm thinking of renting a house/cabin through VRBO or Air BNB rather than just getting hotel rooms, but I'm not sure what area is the best to stay. Have any of you been there and have any tips/thoughts on the best area to stay for access to the park? I've seen lots of listings in West Yellowstone and also some up near the North entrance to the park, but I have no idea what area is better. Suggestions appreciated!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM
mrscott25
CF Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Rent a hotel but only rent it for one night at a time. Most scientists agree that it's gonna blow within the next hundred thousand years or so.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:53 PM
fishingdan
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18'-19

If you get a chance to drive the Beartooth road on the eastern side it is well worth the time....don't know if the switchbacks will be good for your parents but I found it to be a great drive. Enjoy Yellowstone and also go to the Grand Tetons.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Uncle Meat
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

We stayed in some cabins in Montana just a couple miles outside the North entrance.

U.M.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mrscott25 View Post
Rent a hotel but only rent it for one night at a time. Most scientists agree that it's gonna blow within the next hundred thousand years or so.
seriously, go while you can because that **** is going to spew anyday now
Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 PM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 1,094 Posts

On one of our trips, we stayed in Gardiner, MT(several decent motels there)and then did a day long bus tour of the park. Well worth it. https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl...tone-in-a-day/

The tour bus will pick you up at your motel in Gardiner, MT or at the Mammoth Hotel in the park or at Old Faithful Inn in the park.

Then you can drive around the park visiting attractions in your car, on another day. A lot to see, so plan on being there for 3-4 days.

The place is busy so you had better be trying to lock down motel/lodge reservations NOW for next summer. Yellowstone is the only national park that opens up it's reservations for lodging within the park 18 months in advance
Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Jimnc
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

The West Entrance has by far the most hotel and dining options. You can access most of sites you want to see from there as day trips. You should also see the Grand Tetons and spend a night or two in Jackson Hole.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:47 PM
aligator
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Been snowmobiling there a lot. We always stay at West Yellowstone a lot. I would suggest you stay at a hotel. If some folks want to turn in early thete is still things to do. Some of the hotels have a tour desk. Don't know where you are flying/driving from but from Ca. We go 80 to 93 then N to Idaho. You will enjoy the park I'm sure.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Tuco
CF Senior Member

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Are you flying or driving?

Either way if they are aging take the time and let them also see the tetons and Glacier.
RV rentals go wayyyyy down in the fall.
A few hundred will get you a 5 person unit.
And then stay where ever the fug you like.
they can enjoy the views as you drive.

Don't forget...snow comes early so go right after kiddies got back to school.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:01 PM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

One of the most beautiful places on the planet.

When we went, we did a VRBO in Jackson and drove up each day. Expect big crowds, and leave early.

Don't forget to visit Teton NP and other local, interesting places while you're there. There's no shortage- you can fill 3-4 days easily.

Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:33 PM
SilverBullitt
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Are you flying or driving?

Either way if they are aging take the time and let them also see the tetons and Glacier.
RV rentals go wayyyyy down in the fall.
A few hundred will get you a 5 person unit.
And then stay where ever the fug you like.
they can enjoy the views as you drive.

Don't forget...snow comes early so go right after kiddies got back to school.

Renting an RV is an interesting idea. Do you know any good RV rental places with good prices in that area? Are the campgrounds in the park very expensive? We're thinking of going in October, so maybe it would be pretty cheap to do an RV, and they might like camping out. Something to consider.....
Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullitt View Post
Renting an RV is an interesting idea. Do you know any good RV rental places with good prices in that area? Are the campgrounds in the park very expensive? We're thinking of going in October, so maybe it would be pretty cheap to do an RV, and they might like camping out. Something to consider.....

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Kletis
CF Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I really can't recommend a place to stay, but I can recommend a place not to stay.........the lodges and motels in the main park by Old Faithful. Terribly priced. If there is a next trip out, will stay in West Yellowstone, one or two nights would be plenty for us.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Win Heger
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I've been twice, I'd recommend West Yellowstone, too. There is a lot of driving in the park, you'll need to be ready for long days in the car. On our second visit we split between W Yellowstone and Cooke City, the NE Entrance. That worked out great and you're right on the Beartooth Hwy. Get a good map of the park and take a look at the road system, it's a big loop with a road cutting across the middle.

You'll want get up early a couple of times and go to Lamar Valley or Hayden Valley, terrific wildlife sightings, we've never been disappointed. We've seen Elk, Pronghorn, Wolves a distant Grizzly some Eagles and the ever present Buffalo..

Maybe, it would be worth your looking into lodging in the park? Stay at Old Faithful and then maybe Mammoth?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Sabre34
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 392 Likes on 374 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-18-'19

Yellowstone, on my to do list.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife and I were planning on a Yellowstone and Grand Tetons trip for late summer or early fall, and our plan was to fly from CA to Salt Lake City, and then drive from there, staying near the west entrance. We've never been to Salt Lake City, either, and so we were going to spend a day or two there.

But then my sister invited us to stay with them at their house near Vail (Colorado), along with some of her husband's relatives, so we ended up doing that, combined with a couple of days at Rocky Mountain National Park.

This was a good year to go, as there was a lot more snow in the mountains than is usual for July. We had originally planned whitewater rafting down a stretch of the Colorado River, starting at the Shoshone exit of I-70, which takes you through Glenwood Canyon. But the river was so high that the rafting operators weren't going on that stretch of the river. So we started our rafting on the Roaring Fork (which flows north out of the Aspen area), merging into the Colorado at Glenwood Springs. Still some very nice rafting, and we saw multiple bald eagles from the water. (And in Rocky Mountain NP, we probably saw 40+ elk, plus two young bull moose.) Didn't see any bison, but ate a fair amount of it! (Bison ribs, bison filet, bison sausage, as well as elk stew and elk sausage.)

It was also nice to see a very patriotic 4th of July parade through Vail village, as well as an outdoor concert of patriotic music put on by the Dallas Symphony (also at Vail, in the Gerald Ford outdoor theater). Another fun thing was a bike ride down from the top of Vail Pass, into Vail Village. 95% downhill, and scenic!

Yellowstone and the Tetons will have to wait until next year!

Last edited by SilverC1; 07-11-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 PM
chasboland
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Going there next week, staying @ Gardiner MT after checking out Beartooth highway. Gonna do 4 days with a stop over at 1872 Hotel at west entrance. Later moving down to Park city UT for some zip lining. Should be a fun time minus the crowds.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:39 PM
mchar
CF Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

So as a Historical fact, John Colter, who was a member of Lewis and CLark's 1803 - 1805 mission asked permission to stay behind, trap beaver, and became the 1st Mountain Man.
He was the 1st American to see Yellowstone. He set up shop around there.
His story is ridiculously amazing.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Tuco
CF Senior Member

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by SilverBullitt View Post
Actually I had one rented last Sept/Oct out of Missoula, And I am pretty sure it was with Cruise America.
For on that sleeps 5 it's showing 90$ a night...
Might seem like a lot but to be able to park and eat/sleep anywhere you want it's not a bad gig.

I was hoping you were going to say earlier, but you never know when the snows going to fall at any of those places...

If I was to recommend anything I would get one out near Yellowstone for X amount of days while planning on dropping it off at another location to fly out of.
They come out with some really nice discounts when the kids are back in school, so keep your eyes open.
Honestly there's soooo much beauty up there.... it's a can't miss.

I just got back from 10 days in Montana doing the Smith River 5 day lottery float...My lord was it amazing.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:24 AM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Tuco View Post

I just got back from 10 days in Montana doing the Smith River 5 day lottery float...My lord was it amazing.
I did a week floating the Bighorn years ago.

So amazing. Had a little cabin right next to the water.

The fishing was incredible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yellowstone Experts?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: