Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Chevy Colorado, Anybody have one??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
vettegone
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevy Colorado, Anybody have one??

Title sez it all....if you have one with the 5 cyl, any comments??

TIA...Coot
Old 04-11-2007, 10:55 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a Canyon (GMC's version) with the 5-cyl. No speed demon, but gets out of its own way OK. Not bad on gas (17-18 city, 21+ on hwy). Only had it for 22K miles so far, but no problems at all.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

I used to have a 2000 S-10, and was really looking forward to the release of the Colorado/Canyon twins. Never got the Colorado, instead I bought an 03 Silverado. However, a few months ago, I had a chance to drive a Colorado Crew Cab for 3 weeks. I was underwhelmed. The 5-cylinder was loud and very rough, idle was high. The engine note was very rough, even compared to the 5.3L V8 in my Silverado. Suspension was too soft. Interior was no better than the S-10. I'm glad I didn't get that truck. There are other small pickup choices that are better.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
I was underwhelmed. The 5-cylinder was loud and very rough, idle was high. The engine note was very rough, even compared to the 5.3L V8 in my Silverado. Suspension was too soft. Interior was no better than the S-10. I'm glad I didn't get that truck. There are other small pickup choices that are better.
Even though I own one, I can't argue with anything you say here (except my idle isn't high; around 6-700 RPM). It *is* kind of noisy, and the interior is well laid out, but admittedly spartan.

I think the Tacoma, Frontier & Ridgeline are better trucks, but I also don't think you can get a 4-door crew cab with 220HP, 4WD, offroad suspension, side step bars, Onstar, XM, 6-CD, etc. for $22K new from Nissan, Toyota or Honda. From a quality standpoint, the only problem I've ever had in 22K miles is with the dealer-installed (3rd party) remote start. For value alone, I'd recommend it.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
vettegone
Racer

Tks guys, appreciate ur input. Tacoma "may" be a better long term buy, but I was initally interested in seeing what owners thought about the Colorado/Canyon. Trying to keep it American.....
Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by vettegone
Tks guys, appreciate ur input. Tacoma "may" be a better long term buy, but I was initally interested in seeing what owners thought about the Colorado/Canyon. Trying to keep it American.....

Why not get a V6 Silverado, or the 4.8 V8 Silverado? If you're concerned about prices and MPG.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:17 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I have a 2005 Canyon, Z-71 4x4, mainly for winter use. I replaced a 1997 S-10 with it. The I-5 has power, but as a "small" OHC engine, you have to "wind it up" to go anywhere in a hurry. It lacks the low end "grunt" that the V-6 had in the S-10, but on the other hand, the fuel mileage in noticibly better.

My only complaint is wind noise in the cab. I have the regular (short) cab, and there's just something in the shape of the "B" pillar that generates quite a bit of wind noise. It does get annoying at times, but otherwise, it's a decent truck.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:09 PM
vettegone
Racer

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Why not get a V6 Silverado, or the 4.8 V8 Silverado? If you're concerned about prices and MPG.
Actually, I had considered those; at the same time, I used to have a 305 cid silverado that almost killed me due to lack of pwr when I needed it, so I'm shying away from the V6's and smaller V8's in the bigger trucks. Even though I know (logically) that the newer engines prob have more pwr than the older V8's, it's a mental thing...................... I dunno, I'm looking for a smaller truck that will tote up to 5K lbs (the next purchase is a 17' fishing boat) and will be reliable while not costing me over, say $25K. Appreciate y'alls input, tho.

Coot (AKA Vettegone)
Old 04-16-2007, 07:44 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

I had a auto Colorado 05 with the I-5 engine for about 6 months.

Never had one prob, ran great and got around 25mpg.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy Colorado, Anybody have one??

Quick Reply: Chevy Colorado, Anybody have one??