Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Kinda OT Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Ruth Buckley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda OT Auto Transmission

My 84 Nissan 300zx automatic transmission is not wanting to shift. I was having the same problem real bad about a year ago, and had a fluid flush done on it. It worked great for about 9 months and has started the same stuff over.
When it is time to shift to third, you have to drop it down in low then it will shift and work fine for a while. Then here you go again the next time you drive it!
I have another old z that the transmission is suppose to be good in, but I guess I want to know that mine is trashed first, before I do that.
It is my car that I bought new, so I know that it has not been abused.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated!
Ruthie
Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 PM
senseless02
Advanced

You might look at replacing the vacuum modulator - they get old/leak/don't work, and the trans will not want to shift. The previous fluid change might have just bought you a little time. Also check the vacuum line from the modulator to the intake - it could be plugged up with crud, or otherwise not providing vacuum.

Replacing the modulator is about a 20 minute job (remove vacuum line, unscrew part, catch fluid that comes out, screw in new part, reconnect line, refill fluid), and the part (aftermarket) should run about $15 from someplace like rockauto.com.

In any case, it's cheaper and much easier than swapping a trans.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Ruth Buckley
Advanced

Thanks! I will give it a try!
Ruthie

Get notified of new replies

To Kinda OT Auto Transmission