Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

66 caprice w/ 86 corvette engine should i buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 PM
collegekid
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 caprice w/ 86 corvette engine should i buy it?

Im looking to buy a 66 caprice...
its a 3spd auto, with a 86 vette engine (some higher pitch ticking when reved)
what engine(s) is it/could it be?
owner says it sounds like the exhaust is constricting flow w/ stock manifold... what do i need?
what would i be getting myself into?

im not familiar with older chevys, just datsun and nissan
thanks

oh and would anyone have an idea of what its worth? it runs fine (recent ticking in when revved), new paint, torn interior, def needs tlc.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, that depends....

1) Do you want to spend your weekends rebuilding, replacing, searching for parts, etc?

2) Are you young enough so that your back never tires after spending hours hunched over the engine bay?

3) Do you have a closet full of money that you can raid to throw money at the car every month?

4) Do you hate to take out your wife or girlfriend, even once a month?

5) Do you own an engine hoist and engine stand?

6) Do you have buddies who own a shop that does cylinder head work, cylinder boring and such?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you should buy the car!

And yes, I bought a 68 C3 when I was 21; dang, did I spend waaaay too much time on that thing......
Old 08-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

It sounds like an interesting car, post some pictures of it. Where is it located?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:47 AM
collegekid
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dave68
Well, that depends....

1) Do you want to spend your weekends rebuilding, replacing, searching for parts, etc?

2) Are you young enough so that your back never tires after spending hours hunched over the engine bay?

3) Do you have a closet full of money that you can raid to throw money at the car every month?

4) Do you hate to take out your wife or girlfriend, even once a month?

5) Do you own an engine hoist and engine stand?

6) Do you have buddies who own a shop that does cylinder head work, cylinder boring and such?
Answers:
1) Ya love to tinker and i won't be able to keep my little brother out from under the hood
2) Heck ya
3) Um not yet... how much do you think i could have to throw at it per month?
4) I don't understand this one.... but i like taking my girlfriend out.
5) No but im good at making the right friends
6)Same as 5

Ill get a pic up as soon as i can. im in the Cincinnati area, but its not online or in papers, i just saw it on in a driveway
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM
82Vettrin
Instructor

the '66 Caprice is a good body style/design which lends itself well in today's crowd of Sonic cruise-ins and WalMart parking lot car shows..
the engine ticking could be anything..... if you're dealing with an honest seller, take it by a mechanic for an analysis. could be as simple as an exhaust leak or as complicated as a wiped-down cam and lifters, rod bearing etc.
having an '86 Corvette motor means nothing much more than a 230HP/ 350; either port injected or throttle body fuel system.
some good fun driveability with a slight bit of uummph.. (as compared to the 327 which it probably had as the stock motor.)
without looking, I'd venture to guess meebe a couple'a~grand car ??
if you can get in cheap and leave your budget some room for expansion, I'd say it's a sound investment in a fun sport.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 PM
collegekid
3rd Gear

the guy seemed honest enough, but ill get it checked out before i buy it...

oh and the engine has a carb instead of a fuel injection system... im a little better at working on carbs, but what all changes when you switch?

i couldn't figure out how to get a picture to a web address, so i put the car as my avatar

the seller has it listed for 5,900 is it worth even 5,500?

Last edited by collegekid; 08-04-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 AM
82Vettrin
Instructor

looks good from what I can depict from the avatar shot.
the price appears fair, taking into consideration I would still have the engine checked (at a minimum).
I also suggest polling the owner thoroughly concerning what all has been done to the engine, post the findings, and allow others to comment.. I've not done it and don't want to post anything misleading on the subject of swapping an electronic controlled fuel system to carburetor. (it's possible they have taken the base Corvette engine and built a li'l street sleeper around her.)
as for the interior, you're lucky that we are located in a region which has many reputable shops which perform quality work, not overly priced.
I guess I'm showing an old fondness for the Caprice, coz Mom and Dad had a new one and it was schweet.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM
JimBeam
Racer

Default Buy!

Buy it! The old Caprices/Impalas are some of the best cars ever built. Maintenance is a breeze.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Comments in bold:

Originally Posted by collegekid
Answers:
1) Ya love to tinker and i won't be able to keep my little brother out from under the hood
2) Heck ya
3) Um not yet... how much do you think i could have to throw at it per month? That depends on how ofter you'll drive it. It seems like I had to allocate at least $200 a month for "maintenance" stuff when I had my 68.
4) I don't understand this one.... but i like taking my girlfriend out. Well, if you're spending $200/month (excluding gas money and believe me, you'll need plenty of that if you drive that thing, often), how much will be left for your GF? That's all I'm saying.
5) No but im good at making the right friends
6)Same as 5

A nice late-model Camaro would be much more enjoyable to drive, especially if you're the type who likes to drive faster than an old lady! Did you see the movie Transformers? Heck, get a Camaro like that and fix it up - far better sportscar, IMO. I had a friend who drove his parent's 67 Impala SS. That thing was scary the way it handled and drank gas like an H2 Hummer. Granted, the Corvette engine is a plus in that regard, but the handling will not be pleasant for anything but leisurely cruises.

Ill get a pic up as soon as i can. im in the Cincinnati area, but its not online or in papers, i just saw it on in a driveway
Old 08-05-2007, 11:44 PM
JimBeam
Racer

Says who? Big muscle cars are beautiful. The Camaro is nice in its own respect, but it's also cramped with a less comfortable ride.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Big muscle cars are boats with big engines. If you like cruising, that's great. I may when I'm 80.

Get notified of new replies

To 66 caprice w/ 86 corvette engine should i buy it?