Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Does anyone have a Superformance cobra?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:12 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4dogman
I think it was the 2002 September issue

some of the numbers were

Lister - 0-100mph 6.8 sec -- 1/4mile 11.6 134 mph

TT Ling Vette - 0-100 8.2sec -- 1/4mile 12.3@132mph

TT 911 Porsche - 0-100 7.7sec -- 1/4 11.8@129mph

TT HennViper - 0-100 8.3sec -- 1/4 12.4@134mph

Olthoff Superformance Cobra
0-100 7.9 --- 1/4 11.9@120mph

BTW do you still have that bad-*** Supra I saw you with at Butler tires a few years ago??? Cool car!

Yep, still got her, for 9 years now! I've been enjoying some road racing with it and got computer and brake upgrades recently, the brakes are obscene!

It's funny, I've run similar numbers on street tires in the past as the Lingenfelter TT Vette (what traction?), I've always noticed even big $$$, big power cars are limited in the 1/4 regardless of how wide their street tires are, just the way it is, even the AWD Porsche was still high 11s in this test. The ol "the all run 12s" joke typically applies to TT Vettes and Vipers too on street tires! I don't really care enough about drag racing to bother with slicks, etc since I'm a road race fan anyway...

Regarding Superperformance, every magazine test I've seen of them has been very impressive, although they are considerably more expensive than Factory Five Racing kits. Not having the know how to build a car from scratch, for me the ideal setup would be to find a well built, complete example, I may just do it one day! The best thing about them is super light weight, of the class you just can't get with a production car.

Last edited by BoostManiac; 09-12-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Uncle Fester
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Superformance Cobra back in 1999. It is powered by a 600+HP 514ci Ford custom built engine. It weighs in at about 2470 lbs and is one heck of a ride. I have 50,000 miles on it and never a minutes problem. Superformance is not a "kit" by definition. It is factory built car and comes as a roller less engine and tranny. You can be up and running in a few hours after delivery. Most have the engine and tranny added prior to delivery and so they are typically a turnkey car.

Some of the nice things about Superformance is that they come with so many standard features that the "kit companies" charge extra for. You can buy most of the other kits, spend months putting them together and if you buy all the options similar to the SPF's standard roller, you will not only have time and effort tied up in the car but probably as much money or more. Superformance is a bargain when you look at it from that perspective. It comes with several thousand dollars worth of extras like a soft top, a tonneau cover, chromed roll bar, sun visors, carpeted truck, knock off wheels, wind wings....the list is long. With the exchange rate between the South African rand and the US dollar, now is a great time to pick one up.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Timpo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts

does Superformance Cobra come with an iron block V8? What if they ever went to LS1 or some aluminum block? how much weight would they save?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Caterpillar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gene Gorman
I have my blown '07 Vette,a '67 Vette,and a Audi TT. I'm thinking of getting a Superformance Cobra to have something different. I just need another toy. Just wanted to hear from some Vette owners that have a Cobra. What do you think?

I've had a Contemporary Classics (not made anymore but considered the best at the time) a Superformance and now I have a Backdraft Racing Cobra.

In my opinion my Backdraft is the best of the three I've owned. All of mine have been small blocks but I only went that direction because of the weight/handling and cooling issues I've seen with the big block cars. The small blocks today are putting down over 500 hp so you really dont need the big block.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Timpo
does Superformance Cobra come with an iron block V8? What if they ever went to LS1 or some aluminum block? how much weight would they save?

I have a Superformance Cobra with a Shelby alum. block 427 that is stroked to 484ci. It weighs 2400lbs.

It gets more looks than anything I have ever driven. I'm going to be selling it soon to expand our resturants.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Caterpillar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gene Gorman
I have a Superformance Cobra with a Shelby alum. block 427 that is stroked to 484ci. It weighs 2400lbs.

It gets more looks than anything I have ever driven. I'm going to be selling it soon to expand our resturants.

That is beautiful
Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 AM
gdjestevens
Instructor

how much are you asking?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gdjestevens
how much are you asking?
$62,000
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Caterpillar
Instructor

This is my Backdraft Racing Cobra
Old 02-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Caterpillar
I've had a Contemporary Classics (not made anymore but considered the best at the time) a Superformance and now I have a Backdraft Racing Cobra.

In my opinion my Backdraft is the best of the three I've owned. All of mine have been small blocks but I only went that direction because of the weight/handling and cooling issues I've seen with the big block cars. The small blocks today are putting down over 500 hp so you really dont need the big block.
Would you elaborate on that a little? Just curious to hear the differences. Thank you.

Rob
Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
thixotropic
1st Gear

"I like the Superformance the best of all the kits. Have seen them in person and they are very high quality."

(Clearly it a *very* well regarded car here! Don't let folks tell you you have to stick to Chevy -- variety is the spice of life!)

Well, if you want one with about 2K original miles, I have a friend who is selling his! It's gorgeous, and here it is: http://hisnameistimmy.com/cobra/. It's been garaged and sitting; we're getting it ready for sale (it needs an oil change/coolant flush). I'd love to see it go to a good home.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Sarutledge
1st Gear

Default Superformance Cobra

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I would reach out. I have a Superformance Cobra, Red w/ white stripes #379 that I am considering selling. It has roughly 4K miles and has never been wet-Literally! The engine is a 351 windsor/stroker 393 built by Olthoff racing. It is a rocket ship and truly immaculate. I am not anxious to part but recognize that with my life the way it is I rarely have time to enjoy it. If anyone is seriously considering a Cobra purchase, please contact Scott at 816-941-3343.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Uncle Fester
2nd Gear

If you belong to SCOF (Superformance Cobra Owners Forum) you might want to post an ad there. You must be a member to post the ad but it is viewable by anyone and cars sell pretty fast there.

http://superformance.org/forsale/

Uncle Fester
Old 12-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by BlackMark
The Superformance Cobra is one of the finest available.I came very close to buying one,but getting an exemption in Ca. is next to impossible.The paint on the Superformance is about as good as they come,being built in South Africa where things are much more lenient as far as paint and pollution.These have a very rigid chassis and the doors shut like a Lexus.They are however not an exact copy,being somewhat taller and wider,though it is not obvious unless parked next to the real deal.If you want an exact dimensional copy,probably ERA would be a better choice.My at the time teenage daughter went for a ride in one and came back ready to give up her college fund to buy one.They are very good cars and have a very stable resale value.
Simply one of the best Cobra reproductions cars available and would love to have one.

There is a LARGE dealer near my home who I know personally, D&M Motorsports in Glen Ellyn, IL, who has sold a TON of these over the last 10 years! I'll take mine in pewter with black stripes, making 650 HP via a big block 427 engine!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Silverback51
Race Director

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

I have SPF# 532.

460BB with 650+ HP.

I have had it for 4 years now and still love it as much as the first day I owned it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Silverback51
I have SPF# 532.

460BB with 650+ HP.

I have had it for 4 years now and still love it as much as the first day I owned it.
That is SWEET BRO, good for you!

By the way, how many Superperformance AC Cobra's have been made to date?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Silverback51
Race Director

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
That is SWEET BRO, good for you!

By the way, how many Superperformance AC Cobra's have been made to date?
I know SPF# 3060 is on the road. That is the latest that I know of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone have a Superformance cobra?