Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Need some help w a Integra.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need some help w a Integra.

My buddy has a integra that I was working on for him. I just did the slave cylinder,brakes, and headers. Well the car drive fine for the most part. But he went on a trip (35 miles) and he was in traffic moving about 20-30mph. When the car just shut off and wont restart even after a couple of days. I checked the fuel pump and it is working.
He claims no shuttering or anything accured.It just stop working in the middle of traffic.
His temp gauge doesnt work on the car but he said the car didnt smoke or leak anything. So I dont think he cooked it. I tried jumping the car too with no success, it will just crank.

Ita 94 nonvtec Intrega 5speed, that has been in a wreck. Alot was replaced, seems to be a front end collision. Whatever occured isnt directly involved with the wreck. The car worked fine before the Trip.

I trust my fellow C4 crowd can aid me. Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
TUNED87vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately doesn't fit the C4 category, but my first guess would be that the timing belt broke. 1994 is OBD I, so you should be able to check for codes fairly easily. Is the ignition firing?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:46 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds electrical to me.......check for spark and go from there.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:46 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have fuel pressure, check for spark on atleast 2 plugs. Check all the fuses. Take the belt off and make sure all the pullys that will spin...will.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 PM
VetteSlave
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by TUNED87vette
my first guess would be that the timing belt broke.
Yup! You got it!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it sounds a lot like a dead igniter or distributor.

ck for spark... and inspect the cap/ rotor, the caps can and do crack.

the coils are known to die, too.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
it sounds a lot like a dead igniter or distributor.

ck for spark... and inspect the cap/ rotor, the caps can and do crack.

the coils are known to die, too.
+1

Those are interference engines, if the timing belt broke he would have had a loud bang when the pistons smacked the valves, and it would turn over VERY fast, since there would be 0 compression...

Been there.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Before I left I changed out the spark plugs for tune up reasons. One of the plugs was fouled. I will check the cap and rotor next.

Im dumb when comes to these cars. The car is a single over head cam. The protective shield for the belt is missing. I can see that belt spin. I will check the igntion setup when I get back.

What is a sure fire way to check for spark? Take a plug and connect it to the wire and crank the engine to see a spark?

The car isnt throwing any codes at least from the panel. Im going to have to check it any way cause the check engine light might be burnt out. Who knows...

Im a american car guy and dont like to work on these cars. But my buddy has 1 kid and a child on the way and he really needs a car to get to work. He is limited budget wise and Im tring to help him out but I knew that us C4 guys can think of some ideas.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the timing belt cover is off, see if you can bump the motor and line up the timing marks on the cam sprockets. If memory serves me correctly, there should be a notch on the cam sprocket at 9 and 3:00 that match up w/marks on the casing for TDC. Pull the dist. cap or valve cover and determine if the timing jumped. I think there's a tensioner on the timing belt as well. Usually, if the belt breaks, you are looking at complete head job at a minimun. Maybe it jumped? I'd think if it was off by a lot, you'd hear some crunching.

For a spark check as others have said, pull a plug and hold it against the manifold using insulated pliers while someone cranks the engine. How's the fuel pressure? I've seen dirty fuel filters completely prevent some Hondas from starting. If you need something specific from a tech manual, drop me an e-mail and I'll see if I have it.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ill check to see if it jumped at all.
I dont hear any crunching or any irregular sounds.
Im going to get a fuel pressure tester at Autozone asap.
I checked to see if there was fuel reaching the manifold and it is. I changed the fuel filter and while it was off I told him to crank it. I caught the fuel that pushed outta the line. That made me believe the pump was working fine. Maybe its weak I dont know, I will hook up a pressure gauge.
I was thinking maybe gummed up injectors...or faulty. Even if they are faulty should it still kick over but run ****y.
Could it be a sensor keeping it from running if so any idea which one?
Man I thought my car was expensive the parts on these cars are pretty expensive.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Before you spend too much time on fuel delivery, focus on the ignition.

I owned many honda's before getting the Vette... fuel delivery - pumps, lines, injectors, etc, are very stout.

Honda had a recall on ignitors back in the day. If this car wasn't recalled, it could have died. If anything, call the local acura dealer and have them run the VIN to see if it is a recall car or not. I don't remember when the cut off was.

Either way, distributors fail on imports... it's not uncommon. 1980s Toyota's are notorious for failing.

Doing a code read on a Honda isn't quite as simple as it is on the Vette... the plug SHOULD be behind the ashtray... that's where it was in my Prelude and Accord... never owned an Integra/Civic.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 AM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bogus
Before you spend too much time on fuel delivery, focus on the ignition.

Also, some Hondas have some funky fuses and fusible links under the hood. They're usually right around the fenders up top under a plastic cover. They look like a thin strip of metal with a colored stripe and break like a fuse when bad. Maybe a longshot, but it would only take a minute to look.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ill take alook into the igntion first.
I will also check the fuses.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
TUNED87vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are interference engines, if the timing belt broke he would have had a loud bang when the pistons smacked the valves, and it would turn over VERY fast, since there would be 0 compression...
You're probably (read:hopefully) right - However, I have had it happen while driving a Honda going really slow and it did not make a bang or damage the valves regardless of the interference motor. Granted that was extremely lucky, but the sudden way the car stopped running just sounds suspect, as I have had them break that way on my probe too. It's totally rpm dependent, but if cruising at 30mph with no bad noises, then my bets are off.

Originally Posted by fc_soldier

Ill take alook into the igntion first.
I will also check the fuses.
My trick is to pull one wire, stick a philips screwdriver into the wire, then hold it horizontally over a grounded engine bolt, and check if it arcs to the bolt. Only takes about 1 minute with help of any friend.

I have also had my ignition do that to me on the probe Simply looked up some wiring diagrams and spliced in a GM ignitor (the $20 fix).
Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TUNED87vette
My trick is to pull one wire, stick a philips screwdriver into the wire, then hold it horizontally over a grounded engine bolt, and check if it arcs to the bolt. Only takes about 1 minute with help of any friend.
Personally, I'd stay away from using a screwdriver and stick with pulling the spark plug & wire and keeping the plug in the boot. Then hold the plug near a ground like the manifold. The purpose of using a spark plug to check for spark, is to provide necessary resistance on the spark from a 40,000 volt HEI system (GM), so you don't damage the ICM. My guess is the Honda would be similar.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM
92mr2turbo
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Ignition main relay. Under dash on the driver side.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help w a Integra.