Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Daily driver choices??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I bought my wife a Charger R/T with the optional R&T PG package last year. It's basically a Daytona without the stickers and high impact colors. The car now has 13,000 miles and it has been trouble, squeak, and rattle free. It feels like a very substantial car, it's well made.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The hemi charger is a cool ride. I also like the Magnum hemi too and its traditionally a slower seller.

I wouldn't sell the GTO for any of these but if thats what you want to do..Go for it.

I wouldn't buy the foreign cars but thats just an opinion..
Old 08-21-2007, 11:03 AM
ruf455
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

The GTO is a fantastic ride, but it needs to be with someone who is willing to deal with what comes with owning a GTO: Having extra money to repair (not mod) it's engineering short comings. This car (mine) has too many in my opinion. I still happily drive it everyday, but my lesser base model Z28 was just as quick, looked good, and did not have retarded design flaws creeping up everywhere...and it only cost me 8K used. It broke when I beat the hell out of it, but that was expected...

Magnums are appealing with the kiddo and two dogs...and they are a slow seller, witch might be benificial to me. The imports aren't getting my blood flowing. I've noticed and done some looking up close, and they don't do much for me. We'll see.

EDIT: If the GTO was under warranty, I would not be considering any of this.

Last edited by ruf455; 08-21-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

FWIW, most new Chrysler cars come with a lifetime powertrain warranty. The 5.7L Charger/Magnum/300 qualify. My new Nitro has the lifetime policy and it covers more parts than I thought it would (for example CV joint boots).
Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 AM
ruf455
Drifting

I've been tempted by GM giving away (as they claim) the '07 stock of trucks (who can't use a truck) and Chrysler's unlimited mile powertrain coverage. Funny, that warranty does not transfer out. I bet they are banking on all the folks that can't stay in a car (like me). GM is selling the '07 with essencially initial depreciation allready taken off the top. I had a sales manager email me an offer for $6400 off the top of MSRP. He claimed it was $200 under invoice (on a GMC truck)...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Steve McQueen
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are forgetting the 2008 Pontiac G8, 6.0L with a 362HP v8 and four doors. Plus they nailed this one in the looks department. Saw it at the auto show. Looks aggressive yet refined, kind of like an Acura TL type S

http://www.pontiac.com/g8/
Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
ruf455
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
You are forgetting the 2008 Pontiac G8, 6.0L with a 362HP v8 and four doors. Plus they nailed this one in the looks department. Saw it at the auto show. Looks aggressive yet refined, kind of like an Acura TL type S

http://www.pontiac.com/g8/
No, I have not forgotten...however, my budget will keep that car out of my stable for a while to come. The plan was to move the GTO out when the prices on the G8 fell far enough to land in m reach.

Drove the G35 Coupe yesterday...I like the GTO better. The G35 was smooth, had good power, but seemed a bit too noisy for me...Maybe it was just the tire choice that was on the car? I did not care for the interior layout.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Tim2K4Vert
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruf455
Drove the G35 Coupe yesterday...I like the GTO better. The G35 was smooth, had good power, but seemed a bit too noisy for me...Maybe it was just the tire choice that was on the car? I did not care for the interior layout.
The stock tires aren't very good. I never really noticed the noise since I usually have my stereo turned up too loud. The stock tires on mine cupped badly after about 22k miles. I swapped them out for Toyo Proxes TR1s and liked them much better. The one thing that I didn't like about the interior layout was the position of the seat controls. I believe that they changed that on the '07 sedan and (most likely) the new G37 coupe. Not sure though.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by ruf455
The GTO is a fantastic ride, but it needs to be with someone who is willing to deal with what comes with owning a GTO: Having extra money to repair (not mod) it's engineering short comings. This car (mine) has too many in my opinion. I still happily drive it everyday, but my lesser base model Z28 was just as quick, looked good, and did not have retarded design flaws creeping up everywhere...and it only cost me 8K used. It broke when I beat the hell out of it, but that was expected...

Magnums are appealing with the kiddo and two dogs...and they are a slow seller, witch might be benificial to me. The imports aren't getting my blood flowing. I've noticed and done some looking up close, and they don't do much for me. We'll see.

EDIT: If the GTO was under warranty, I would not be considering any of this.
Can you fill us in on the GTO's design flaws?

Just curious. Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
ruf455
Drifting

There are a few, and given some short comings of every GM vehicle I have ever owned, most of them aren't that bad, and I can/will tolerate the small stuff. However, mine has transmission and clutch trouble...and I baby the car. I've done a few things to get to "act" better; however, the hydraulic system for the clutch leaves something to be desired.

Last edited by ruf455; 08-28-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
ruf455
Drifting

Well...I've fixed every little nag the car had. Front end trouble ended up being cheap and easy...it was a tire (duh). Tires can cause some silly **** to happen. Flushed the hydraulics (pressure bled, not the old school two person way)...NEW CAR! I thought for sure it had bigger issues, but not so. Changed the trans fluid while I was at, it looked good, and now it's better good. I've seen some people mention shifter feel around here, but I just don't see or have any issue with it. It drives just like a nice 2dr V8 should. Just pulled 26mpgs on a trip to Dallas and back yersterday. Now, problem free with two fresh tires, fresh fluids and up for sale

Forget the sedan...we've decided to move on from owning two sports cars and go RV'ing, diesel truck here I come (again)

Last edited by ruf455; 08-28-2007 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Daily driver choices??