Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

gas guage question on a 63 impala

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:17 PM
vetarun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas guage question on a 63 impala

My mom and dad own a 63 impala. They have owned it since 64. For the last 20 years, its prob only been driven 200 miles a year. The gas guage when full only reads 1/2 tank. It fluctuates sometimes but rarely. Sometimes it reads full, 1/4 or whatever it wants to. Lately its been stuck at 1/2 full. He thinks that when it reaches lower than 1/2 full the guage does not begin to work. Where would you go to start to solve this problem? Ground? Sending unit stuck? He has purchased a sending unit but has not began the big chore to drop the tank. Not a corvette question but similar in nature. Thanks Bob
Old 08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I thought you could access the sending unit thru a factory hole in the trunk. Most all the oldies are that way, chev or not.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

My bet would be the sending unit, not the ground , and its not a real hard tank to take out , less than a hour, but you may twist the straps being on there that long. Oil everything up a week ahead, the rust we take most the time.

Get notified of new replies

To gas guage question on a 63 impala