Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New CTS in the stable!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:42 AM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New CTS in the stable!

Well, picked up an '08 CTS (blk/blk, DI AWD) Thursday after falling in love with the design 2 years ago (saw it in clay). I'll give a full review later, because I'm withholding judgment right now - after 90 miles (40 by me, 50 by the dealer's prep policy), I started having trans issues and had to leave it parked in my garage. OnStar confirmed a trans code had been thrown, and I called them back this morning to arrange for a tow and wouldn't ya know, the problem had cleared itself up . At least now I can drive it to the dealer instead of having it towed in. This doesn't bode well....
Old 09-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I hope they come out with a 2 door version of it.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Drive it over to the dealer and have them take a look at it. I'm sure its something very simple and there should be a TSB on it.
Let us know what you find out and congratulations on a beautiful new bold american sports sedan.

That Direct Injection V6 with 300 hp is a very impressive powerplant as are the interior and exterior styling.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:02 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Tom/99
I hope they come out with a 2 door version of it.
Supposedly in the 2010 model year. I wish they'd call it the Eldorado.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:32 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Update on the earlier trans issue - according to the dealer's OBD II tester, it was a SW comm "glitch" during the transmission's learning process. The service tech had said that a few CTS customers had been in with comments about the transmission surging or seeking for the first few hundred miles, then settling down to normal operation. After about 400 miles so far, I'm seeing a little of the surging he talked about, but haven't seen a recurrence of the original problem. We'll see....

Other than that, here's a pre-Zaino pic of the new ride:

It's no LS1 or 2, but 300HP, 6-spd auto & AWD should do OK for a while. I'll suffer through if needed.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:50 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Wow! The car looks stunning.

Best of luck with it.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 AM
CaddyJimz06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI
Well, picked up an '08 CTS (blk/blk, DI AWD) Thursday after falling in love with the design 2 years ago (saw it in clay). I'll give a full review later, because I'm withholding judgment right now - after 90 miles (40 by me, 50 by the dealer's prep policy), I started having trans issues and had to leave it parked in my garage. OnStar confirmed a trans code had been thrown, and I called them back this morning to arrange for a tow and wouldn't ya know, the problem had cleared itself up . At least now I can drive it to the dealer instead of having it towed in. This doesn't bode well....
I have a 05 CTS as a DD but in 2 weeks, I have to give it back since the lease is ending. I was hoping to lease the 08 CTS once this lease on the 05 ends but my parents do not want to pay that much for a car anymore since I just got a Z06 this past March. Anyhow, I am probably going to lease the new 08 Lancer, which is pratically half the price of the new CTS.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking car.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Did you get the 40 gig hard drive? I am curious how it works. I am thinking of getting a CTS and think I really want this options. Also have you tried a DVD-Audio in it?

Thanks, and nice car.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rgregory
Did you get the 40 gig hard drive? I am curious how it works. I am thinking of getting a CTS and think I really want this options. Also have you tried a DVD-Audio in it?
No, no HD 5.1 stereo, unfortunately. Other than the DI engine and AWD, I kept it pretty basic to keep the price down. There were plenty of options that I was drooling over (perf. package with steerable HID headlamps, NAV and 40GB HD, keyless ignition), but I wanted to get out the door for under 40K. So far, I'm liking it more each time I drive it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

sharp ride!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool car. Just took a big road trip in my 06 CTS. I love it, looks like a jet fighter on wheels, comfortable and gets 27 mpg on 87 octane cruising in the high 70s-80mph. Saw several new CTS's on the road. The new ones looks a bit bulky for me, ok design just not as clean as the original...but the new interior is pretty sharp. What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your new car?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:11 AM
VETTENV
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I love my '05 CTS-V. I hope to get the '09 CTS-V...that is if I can afford one then!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

These are damn sharp cars. One of these may well be our next sedan. But for for that to happen, we'd actually have to be putting miles on our BMWs.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Picked up a 2008 AWD with the sports suspension.

Hell of a car!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

sharp car, congrats on your new ride!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:44 AM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory

Thanks, and nice car.
I have a 2008 CTS all wheel drive with the 40gb hard drive. It is very cool. You insert a CD and copy the contents to the hard drive. You can pause live radio and it will keep recording for up to an hour AFTER you turn off the car. When you come back you un-pause to hear the rest of the station you were listening to. Also has an iPod connector in the center console. The DVD audio is awesome, but finding DVD audio disks is hard.

Here is my CTS with my C6.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI
Update on the earlier trans issue - according to the dealer's OBD II tester, it was a SW comm "glitch" during the transmission's learning process. The service tech had said that a few CTS customers had been in with comments about the transmission surging or seeking for the first few hundred miles, then settling down to normal operation. After about 400 miles so far, I'm seeing a little of the surging he talked about, but haven't seen a recurrence of the original problem. We'll see....

Other than that, here's a pre-Zaino pic of the new ride:

It's no LS1 or 2, but 300HP, 6-spd auto & AWD should do OK for a while. I'll suffer through if needed.
I had the same error in my C6 A6 w/18,000 miles and they dropped the pan and replaced the switch. It acted like it was trying to engage in reverse and a forward gear at the same time (nasty clunk sound when moving the shifter). Dealer service guy told me this happens when a foreign object gets trapped in the switch. Huh?

Get notified of new replies

To New CTS in the stable!

Quick Reply: New CTS in the stable!