Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Possible move from 01 Z06 to 06 Viper Coupe??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

200 miles is considerable mileage for a 'new' 2006 especially when a new Viper is now the vastly improved 2008 model. I like Viper's and I really like the 2008 but for that kind of money (and some modifications) you could have the comfort and refinement of a Corvette and you'd be able to eat a 2006 Viper. The terms notwithstanding I'd go for a C6 or a C6 Z06 and give it the extra grunt you want. It's fun to hear a Viper owner say "What do you have in that Vette?"
Old 10-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Rippin C6!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I own a 2006 Viper Coupe....

I paid $72k for my loaded Viper Coupe (sticker $92,500) in October of 2006. Believe it or not some people are looking to get into 06 coupes because they will be easier to modify than the new model. Prices for "new" 06 coupes are bouncing between 68k and 72k. The 08's will be going for full sticker for a while.

I sold my 06 Z06 after several problems to buy my Viper. I love both cars but they are VERY different experiences. The Z06 is a much easier car to live with but I will never sell my Viper. It is just too much fun!!

Check out some of the Viper sites for people trying to sell their low milage coupes to move into an 08. There are several cars listed on Viperclub.com.

One last comment...I would not buy a Viper for a daily driver. The Viper is a track car with headlights. It is brutal and basic in every way. It is that basic brutality that can make it fun to dirve. Just not for a daily driver.

Just my .02....

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 AM
C6Corvet
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 02 Viper Coupe Final Edition I will not sell. My wife hates the ride it's a street legal race car. My C6 my wife loves we drive it the most of all the cars I own. A friend of mine wrecked his 02 Viper roadster just bought an 06 for 68K with 750 mi. The owner was scared to drive it and sold it. So there are a lot of deals out there. Just remember one thing there is no skid controls or any of the safeguards on the Viper like there is on the Vette. Viper is all power no frills! I love it but for comfort the Vette is a better choice.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
The Viper is a 1-2 hour car. It's not something you can drive for extended periods and it's certainly not a daily driver.

The difference between the Viper and a Z06 is night and day. I wouldn't even consider the Viper because it's not something I could enjoy driving.

If it's what you want then go for it but don't say I didnt' warn you.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
1cheesecake
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my neighbor has an 06 Viper with I think 7K... He hates it!
He is 5'8" and complains about how cramped it is inside....he also complains about how hot it gets inside... engine / exhaust heat

Personally I like the Viper "image" but think that Vette is such a better car....
Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
BoilerRxC6
Pro

Originally Posted by vettecop1125
Depending on where you live, that might not be a good thing. I'd like to have a Viper coupe, but I'd like a new Z better IMO. If the Viper would be purely a weekend toy, then get it. If it's going to be used any more than that, I'd suggest the Z.
Couldn't agree more. I drove a new Viper as well before I bought an '07 Z06 and it was night and day difference. The Viper is hot, raw, uncomfortable, all business, track car. Depends on what your looking for, but just know what your getting into if it's going to be a frequent driver and not just a toy.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
MuscleJunkie
Instructor

Well, this was interesting.

They got back with me today and offered me $72,990 AND $25,000 for my 01 Z06.

I was seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the deal and they called me back at about 6:45pm and said they had someone else local here in NC coming from about an hour away or so to come look at the car and if I wanted it I need to let them know then. I told them go ahead and if they sold it then they sold it....I wouldn't have an answer until later this evening.

I was putting together somethings on my end and called back at the end of the evening and was told they sold the car. I said to the salesman - I hope you sold it for alot more than what you offered to me - his response "oh yeah!"

Oh well!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Arizona Z
Racer

If you want one get it....I would take a 07 Z06 over the Viper any time. The Viper is definately not a daily driver, she will beat you to death in short order.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 PM
MOUNTINBEAR
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I bet after boiling in it all summer, loosing your hearing from the noise, legs cramping from lack of room and burning yourself several times trying to climb out of it you will be trading it in in less than a year...but that just my opinion
Old 10-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Anomir
Pro

I really think that unless you were planning on driving the car for short amounts of time, and not terribly often, you are going to be very glad you did not buy the Viper.

I would consider the 08 Z06. Or you can wait for the ZR1, Blue Devil or whatever they are calling it now to see if you like that better.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM
hpfiend
Pro

If you want a viper for its rawness, save the cash and get a stock fox body coupe mustang 5500-7500, put 20,000 in mods into it and it will make that viper look like it is standing still in all directions and be just as raw.

This rawness however is why I have joined this list and am considering getting rid of my fox body coupe with almost 14,000 in mods and looking for an 02-04 Z06!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 PM
MuscleJunkie
Instructor

Well this **ENDED** a bit differently than I expected

See this thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1562543414

Thanks for all your help. I enjoyed participating here.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 PM
MikeNMaxZO6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by susko
good deal if its out the door

Quick Reply: Possible move from 01 Z06 to 06 Viper Coupe??