Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsche has nothing on Vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 AM
IceDragon
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Germany
Are there any curves in Texas? Curious drivers want to know...

My Dad told me once (or twice) always use the right tool for the job. Here in Germany the Vette is totally exotic - but... it is not the Swiss army knife.
There are a few curves in Texas, but mostly straights (double entendre intended). Anyway, the Z06 does curves better than anything else I've driven lately, but man are the straight-aways fun.

Rich
Old 11-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love Texas and love the big roads. I still need my knife.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Kayvan
Disabled by request 2 Jan 2009

Originally Posted by NavyC4S
Bull****

The C-class interior has more errant plastics than the vette and has no right being compared against a Porsche. Even the 996 (worst Porsche interior) is lightyears ahead of the C6 with leather wrapped dash and such.

Also, Porsche still has a solid dor shut sound that comes from the quality and excellence that goes into creating a Porsche. Say what you want, be it a 911, 928, 993, 996 or even a cushy 997. A Porsche is a Porsche.
Stop into a porsche dealer today. The base 2008 porsche has no leather wrapped dash. fact. Its all options, which is nuts at a $73k car.
Have you seen the new C class they just inro'd, on TV commercials?

People are freaking out on this post. Point: At nearly twice the price of a Vette, 911 should blow your doors away. Not offer you a list of upgrades to be blow away only if you spend $100K!

Enjoy the w-end
Old 11-10-2007, 08:57 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Porsche doesnt evolve, they are just as ugly now as they were 20 years ago and hardly changed the interior.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:02 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayvan
Stop into a porsche dealer today. The base 2008 porsche has no leather wrapped dash. fact. Its all options, which is nuts at a $73k car.

People are freaking out on this post. Point: At nearly twice the price of a Vette, 911 should blow your doors away. Not offer you a list of upgrades to be blow away only if you spend $100K!

Enjoy the w-end
i agree. i stopped at the "porch" dealer to look.... just for giggles. i was shocked to see that about EVERY paint color was an option. wazzz up with that? $73g's and you get pimped another $2-3 grand for paint????? they are "nice" cars. just not "that" nice for me.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

I am a vette fan, PERIOD!

I am sure other cars are fine, have strong points as well as weak, but as i said above. I am a fan of the corvette, and that is what I am getting!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Kayvan

Enjoy the w-end
I was referring to the previous C-class. I have not been fortunate enough to see the new one in person.

I still think the Vette, which I have now, could have "exoticized" the interior more so that I feel like I'm in a space ship and not a malibu. Though it is much improved from the C5.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Nzzz
Racer

Originally Posted by LMB 4 ME
Porsche doesnt evolve, they are just as ugly now as they were 20 years ago and hardly changed the interior.
Everyone has a different taste in cars. I do agree though, they have never caught my interest as far as look wise.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 PM
joetz
Instructor

It always amazes me how insecure owners are of Corvettes. That was one of the reasons why I never wanted to own one and only pulled the trigger when all the improvements came out for 2008.

Basically there is a big reason why there is a difference in pricing. The handling/steering feel and the fit and finish is in a completely different league in a Porsche. I know because I've owned several. That's what you are paying the big bucks for.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
i agree. i stopped at the "porch" dealer to look.... just for giggles. i was shocked to see that about EVERY paint color was an option. wazzz up with that? $73g's and you get pimped another $2-3 grand for paint????? they are "nice" cars. just not "that" nice for me.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there are 8 available colors for the Vette, 4 of which are "no-cost". Of the 4 colors that the customer has to pay for, 3 of them cost $750, and 1 of them is $300.

Porsche offers many more colors...18 different color options, of which one is "any color you want". Of the 18 colors, there are exactly the same number of "no-cost" colors available as there are on the Vette...4. Of the remaining 14 color options Porsche makes available, 8 of them cost only $690, which is $60 cheaper than 3 of the 4 "customer pay" colors offered for the Vette.

Last edited by Notch; 11-10-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:03 PM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My other car is sortof a Porsche. Does a Jetta count?

Last edited by photoguy; 11-10-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
Gents & any Ladies out there:
I have owned 4 vettes. I have owned 9 porsches. All have been fun cars to own. I currently have an 06 C6 and 06 Cayman S. The fit and finish of the Porsche is head and shoulders above my vette. The comfort and driver satisfaction in the Cayman S is far above my vette.
The tightness of the Porsche is very noticeable over my vette. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my vette, but the cars are very different in driver feel and response handling and satisfaction. The Cayman S is like being on a date with a petite brunette that is sassy. The C6 is like being on a date with a blonde blue eyed American beauty. If you can have both, you will say YES everytime. To criticize either car, just means that you have not had either car out on the track recently to see it's true value and worth. By the way, 6 of my 9 Porshces were some form of the 911. Oh yeah, I am not a dentist either.... I am a combat Fighter Pilot in the USAF. If I had to choose between the two cars, I would keep the Cayman S without any delay or thought. When you drive the car at triple digits speeds over a long drive you begin to realize the magic of the German engineering. The Vette becomes sloppy over time. The vette needs more refinement and a tighter shell to compete with any Porsche. Sitting in a show room is like looking at a pretty woman in a magazine. You do not experience the true possibilities unless you can interact with the woman or car. The best approach is to be positive. Each car has improved with technology and refinement. If you don't agree, then go drive a 10 year old vette or porsche and you will prefer the newer model in a freakin heartbeat.
Fuze out here!!!!!
Great post. You won't get everyone to agree with you - which might have something to do with this being a "forum". A friend of mine also bought a Cayman "S" and I can't wait to try it out. I'm also as anxious for him to try out my C6.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:42 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IceDragon
I do not say any of this to denigrate Porsche. I think, asthetically the lines of the Porsches are beautiful, but the performance you get for the price seems to be way out of line. It seems people who love performance end up with a lowly Chevy, while people who are concerned with appearances end up with the Porsche.

Rich
I guess it depends on how you define "performance". Despite GM's great success at LeMans and other road racing circuits, a Corvette is thought by many to be a drag racing machine. Given HP to weight ratios, it is indeed a pretty fair example of rapid acceleration. The Porsche is a slightly different design in that it is built in a country without speed limits. Well, I suppose we can exclude the US-bound Boxsters built in Finland.

I take issue with your "appearances" statment. I suspect there are just as many Corvette buyers - maybe more - who buy the Corvette for the same reason some people buy Porsches. Gold Chains notwithstanding.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:09 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

I've had two C5 vettes, I loved them. I have a C5Z vette and a 911 at the same time, I sold the vette because it was just not being driven.

911 is a slower but a better car and more fun to drive. It will not "blow" you away like a cheap hooker, buy a viper for that. It is a car which you have to learn and then it starts to shine. Vettes were a bit too one-dimensional, sure it will go fast, but the darn wheels spin at every possibility and taking a corner usually results in the TC/handling system interrupting you with a graciousness of a blunt axe. As soon as you get the vette above 90 mph, the wind starts pulling windows out. As soon as you get above 120 mph, the whole car wants to fly apart.

Porsche is slower, prolly by a lot, but more rewarding to drive. I've yet to notice the PSM system to come into action. High speed/low speed driving is no drama, no body roll, no bouncing, no jarring ride.
Plus 4 seats make it a better family vehicle.

Last edited by PeterK; 11-10-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 AM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can say I have had several porsches and vettes. Both are great cars but have a different approach to performance. I enjoy the vettes because i like torque. After owning a vette there is no going back.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 PM
IceDragon
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
I guess it depends on how you define "performance". Despite GM's great success at LeMans and other road racing circuits, a Corvette is thought by many to be a drag racing machine. Given HP to weight ratios, it is indeed a pretty fair example of rapid acceleration. The Porsche is a slightly different design in that it is built in a country without speed limits. Well, I suppose we can exclude the US-bound Boxsters built in Finland.

I take issue with your "appearances" statment. I suspect there are just as many Corvette buyers - maybe more - who buy the Corvette for the same reason some people buy Porsches. Gold Chains notwithstanding.
I like acceleration more than anything, but a close second is power sliding around corners. The Z06 has those performance abilities in spades. To get a car from Porsche that has the same ability, I say again, will cost you more than 150K. If the looks of the cars were all that I was considering, I probably would have bought some incarnation of the 911. I think the lines of the Porsche are just slightly nicer than the Corvettes, but the price for performance for the Z06 far outweighs the looks of the 911.

Rich
Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Actually, you can't buy a Porsche that can match the C6 Z06 or even the latest Viper on many tracks. Car & Driver uses Virginia Raceway to compare the best mass-produced sports cars in the world and they have found that the $50,000 C6 spanks a twin turbo 911, The Z06 beats that car AND the GT3, again at far less cost.

We all know that each company takes a different approach to designing and building a race car for the street. It's just that time after time, GM does a better job. Let's face it, few of us every reach the limits of our car's handling on the street. But for far less money, we can drive a car that beats the Germans at their own game - race track performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche has nothing on Vette

Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 AM
dietrich
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave68
$50,000 C6 spanks a twin turbo 911, The Z06 beats that car AND the GT3, again at far less cost.
In 1 test when almost every other test by every other magazine say the Turbo is faster than the C6 and GT3 is just as fast as Z06.

If you really believe C6 "spanks" Turbo you are deluded.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:31 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
Not surprising since the precursor to the 944 was the 924 and that was never meant to be a Porsche in the first place. It was a Porsche design, to be sure, but done at the request of Audi, who wanted a sports offering.

Long story short, Audi abandoned the idea and Porsche took it up. Audi and VW being joined at the hip, so to speak, it's not surprising a lot of VW components were used. I suppose if you looked back to Porsche's origins, even more VW parts were used back then. Who would you guess was the original designer and advocate of the VW?

Okay, as a former owner of 4 Porsches, I tend to bristle at some of the criticism being leveled at the marque. They have long been well-built, extremely durable and fascinating cars. An Icon, if you will.

Yet, I agree that the later models are perhaps too luxurious and with too many driver's aids, for those of us who grew up with the original lightweight 911. I fear the current pricing structure has elevated them to "boutique" status as well and the addition of an SUV to the product lineup kind of dilutes the mystique as well.

Okay, enough said. Porsches are wonderful cars. I don't want any more of them, but I'm not going to be critical of them. I often think that any Corvette owner who feels the need to compare their ride of choice to a Porsche, Ferrari or whatever, may have an problem, emotionally.

I certainly see a lot more comparisons of Corvettes to Porsches, and arguments as to the Corvette's superiority, et al, on this forum than I do seeing criticism of Corvettes on any Porsche website.

C'mon guys. I'm sure the original post was meant with all good intentions and it was pretty well done I think, if subjective.

I wonder how light this forum would be if we eliminated all the posts from members who felt a need to justify why they have a Corvette? It's really weird to me, but I love my C6 and have no regrets about no longer having a Porsche.
many people feel the need to justify why they have their corvette, and why its so much better than anything else, I just enjoy mine
Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
many people feel the need to justify why they have their corvette, and why its so much better than anything else, I just enjoy mine
Me too I wonder though why that is that some Corvette owners are like that? No reason to be, is there? Sure tends to take some of the fun out of owning a car that needs no excuses or explanations. Wonder what GM would have to do to finally build a car that would help those with such low self-esteem actually enjoy it, rather than always defending their decision to buy it?

This is getting old, but it does tend to keep the forum lively.

Quick Reply: Porsche has nothing on Vette