Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

My Solstice vs. Vette review

Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My Solstice vs. Vette review

As some of you may remember, I posted about a month ago that I was trading the C6 for a Solstice. There were a lot of good responses in the thread, mostly supportive and constructive. Some of the constructive comments pointed to the fact that I may regret the trade and end up coming back to the Vette. I too wondered if I'd start having nightmares about leaving my ~3.5 year old C6 on the lot and driving off in a new Solstice.

Well gang, I've had the Solstice for about a month now and have a lot more experience driving it, so I thought I'd write back to share some comments. This is intended to be a constructive comparison, so I hope it is taken as such. First let me point out that I made the C6 --> Solstice switch due mostly to boredom with driving the same car for 3+ years and also due to the fact that I had become tired of rowing through the gears as I do a bit of boulevard driving and the constant pedaling and rowing was starting to wear on me... so I wanted an automatic. I looked into getting an 08 or even used 06 A6 Vette and because money was not really an issue, it was an option for me. I quickly realized, however, that I wanted something completely different. I had become bored with that "door wedge" shape of the cars I've been driving for the past two decades, and to me they all started looking the same: Trans Ams of various years, my 99 C5, and my 05 C6.

I've always loved the shape of the Solstice, even over the Vette, so I decided to take a break from the "typical sports car wedge" and get something a little different. At first, I did miss the raw power of the C6 and I did find myself thinking of the car I left behind, but after just a few days driving the Solstice, things started to turn the other way. I'm glad I made the decision and I'm not looking back! The new car is a Solstice GXP so it came with 260 HP... not bad for a 2850-2900 pound car, but a tune and $995 later, it has close to 300 HP and can edge out the new Mustang GT and be close on the bumper of a C5. So I'm happy with the power, but being a turbo, there's a lot you can do to this car to make it go faster. 300 HP (talking crank numbers here) is also quite a feat from a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder. The power delivery in this car (even before the tune) is more "linear" than the C6. There's no "snap throttle" grunt like the C6 but after about a second at WOT, the car pulls solidly all the way up to 100 MPH like it's just never going to stop! In contrast, the Vette comes on stronger (more kick and no turbo lag) but kinda wheezes above 5,000 RPM and starts losing its breath. I really like the continuous pull of the Solstice even though it isn't as fast. Ran two quarter miles with my GTimer: got 14.00 @ 97 and 13.8 @ 100. No Vette, but no slouch either, as my GTimer is usually about 2 tenths slower and a couple MPH slower than drag strip times. I'm sure I'm in the ballpark though and as I have less than 1000 miles on the car, I'd expect mid 13's at the track to be pretty easy. I still say not bad for a small 4 cylinder with nothing but an OBDC plug-in tune that does little but raise the turbo boost a few pounds and optimize fuel mixture.

As to handling, I dare say it here, but the Solstice GXP handles better than my C6. After more seat time in the Solstice now, there really is no comparison. Now, I did come from a base C6 with Z51 sway bars, and I've driven true Z51's but most of my seat time was in a base with Z51 sway bar upgrade. That may have something to do with it, but I can tell you without any doubt that my C6 could not hang with this Solstice on a road course with a lot of twisties where the C6's engine couldn't compensate on the straightaways. Comparing the two, the Vette feels like a heavy car while the solstice feels tighter, more nimble, and able to really carve its way through tight turns. The Solstice also doesn't "complain" as much in the turns as my C6 did. My C6 always squealed and drug its front tires around tight turns whereas the Solstice just carves them out with much less "attitude". Also, I like the steering on the Solstice better, as it has a tighter and less "power" feel to it. Maybe the 08 C6's are better in that regard.

Unfortunately (for me) just about all the non-driving aspects about the car, I like better in the Vette. The Solstice has no compass, no outside temperature display (really foolish on that one), no HUD (although I never really used it on the Vette), and worst of all I now have to take the keys out of my pocket when I want to get in/start the car! I miss those things about the Vette but are they worth an extra $25K... probably not. I know I said it wasn't about the money for me, but I can't ignore the fact that I could have two Solstice's for the price of one 08 C6. There's a lot of bang for the buck in that Solstice.

So to sum things up, here's how I see the two cars:

Vette
- Obviously faster, but not an order-of-magnitude
- Handles better on higher speed, slower arcs (like skidpads)
- Gas mileage is as good or better than the Solstice
- Lots of cool (and very usable) gadgets
- Was nice being part of the Vette family
- Trunk space (Solstice has NONE)
- Better cup holders and other areas to put things while driving
- Other interior "ergonomics" better like location of switches, etc.
- Slicker aerodynamics for much better top end (186 vs 142)
- Better tilt steering: doesn't block gauges like the Solstice
- Real NAV an option: Solstice only has OnStar Turn-by-Turn
- Like the fiberglass/plastic panels: less/no door dings!

Solstice
- Handles better on tight turns and maneuvers quicker
- Smaller (16 inches shorter), easier to park without being "crowded"
- Power is more linear and feels more "there when you need it"
- Tighter, more responsive steering
- Better visibility out the back and passenger side
- Good driveline... feels less "clunky" than the Vette's M6 and rear diff
- Headlights surprisingly as good or better than the Vette's
- For me, better body styling... less typical sports car

Obviously all the above "pros" are not weighted equally since I truly like the Solstice better than the Vette overall. Since I'll always have a love for all Corvettes, I may be back when the C7 is released... will have to see how well GM does with the design. BTW, owning both really wasn't an option for me. Having two cars that are driven infrequently and owning 4 cars just wasn't feasible for us. We need two SUV's for daily driving and hauling stuff (like kids) and having two "toy cars" on top of that really just didn't make sense when neither would be driven that often and we'd need more garage space to store them.

Mike
Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
As some of you may remember, I posted about a month ago that I was trading the C6 for a Solstice. There were a lot of good responses in the thread, mostly supportive and constructive. Some of the constructive comments pointed to the fact that I may regret the trade and end up coming back to the Vette. I too wondered if I'd start having nightmares about leaving my ~3.5 year old C6 on the lot and driving off in a new Solstice.

Well gang, I've had the Solstice for about a month now and have a lot more experience driving it, so I thought I'd write back to share some comments. This is intended to be a constructive comparison, so I hope it is taken as such. First let me point out that I made the C6 --> Solstice switch due mostly to boredom with driving the same car for 3+ years and also due to the fact that I had become tired of rowing through the gears as I do a bit of boulevard driving and the constant pedaling and rowing was starting to wear on me... so I wanted an automatic. I looked into getting an 08 or even used 06 A6 Vette and because money was not really an issue, it was an option for me. I quickly realized, however, that I wanted something completely different. I had become bored with that "door wedge" shape of the cars I've been driving for the past two decades, and to me they all started looking the same: Trans Ams of various years, my 99 C5, and my 05 C6.

I've always loved the shape of the Solstice, even over the Vette, so I decided to take a break from the "typical sports car wedge" and get something a little different. At first, I did miss the raw power of the C6 and I did find myself thinking of the car I left behind, but after just a few days driving the Solstice, things started to turn the other way. I'm glad I made the decision and I'm not looking back! The new car is a Solstice GXP so it came with 260 HP... not bad for a 2850-2900 pound car, but a tune and $995 later, it has close to 300 HP and can edge out the new Mustang GT and be close on the bumper of a C5. So I'm happy with the power, but being a turbo, there's a lot you can do to this car to make it go faster. 300 HP (talking crank numbers here) is also quite a feat from a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder. The power delivery in this car (even before the tune) is more "linear" than the C6. There's no "snap throttle" grunt like the C6 but after about a second at WOT, the car pulls solidly all the way up to 100 MPH like it's just never going to stop! In contrast, the Vette comes on stronger (more kick and no turbo lag) but kinda wheezes above 5,000 RPM and starts losing its breath. I really like the continuous pull of the Solstice even though it isn't as fast. Ran two quarter miles with my GTimer: got 14.00 @ 97 and 13.8 @ 100. No Vette, but no slouch either, as my GTimer is usually about 2 tenths slower and a couple MPH slower than drag strip times. I'm sure I'm in the ballpark though and as I have less than 1000 miles on the car, I'd expect mid 13's at the track to be pretty easy. I still say not bad for a small 4 cylinder with nothing but an OBDC plug-in tune that does little but raise the turbo boost a few pounds and optimize fuel mixture.

As to handling, I dare say it here, but the Solstice GXP handles better than my C6. After more seat time in the Solstice now, there really is no comparison. Now, I did come from a base C6 with Z51 sway bars, and I've driven true Z51's but most of my seat time was in a base with Z51 sway bar upgrade. That may have something to do with it, but I can tell you without any doubt that my C6 could not hang with this Solstice on a road course with a lot of twisties where the C6's engine couldn't compensate on the straightaways. Comparing the two, the Vette feels like a heavy car while the solstice feels tighter, more nimble, and able to really carve its way through tight turns. The Solstice also doesn't "complain" as much in the turns as my C6 did. My C6 always squealed and drug its front tires around tight turns whereas the Solstice just carves them out with much less "attitude". Also, I like the steering on the Solstice better, as it has a tighter and less "power" feel to it. Maybe the 08 C6's are better in that regard.

Unfortunately (for me) just about all the non-driving aspects about the car, I like better in the Vette. The Solstice has no compass, no outside temperature display (really foolish on that one), no HUD (although I never really used it on the Vette), and worst of all I now have to take the keys out of my pocket when I want to get in/start the car! I miss those things about the Vette but are they worth an extra $25K... probably not. I know I said it wasn't about the money for me, but I can't ignore the fact that I could have two Solstice's for the price of one 08 C6. There's a lot of bang for the buck in that Solstice.

So to sum things up, here's how I see the two cars:

Vette
- Obviously faster, but not an order-of-magnitude
- Handles better on higher speed, slower arcs (like skidpads)
- Gas mileage is as good or better than the Solstice
- Lots of cool (and very usable) gadgets
- Was nice being part of the Vette family
- Trunk space (Solstice has NONE)
- Better cup holders and other areas to put things while driving
- Other interior "ergonomics" better like location of switches, etc.
- Slicker aerodynamics for much better top end (186 vs 142)
- Better tilt steering: doesn't block gauges like the Solstice
- Real NAV an option: Solstice only has OnStar Turn-by-Turn
- Like the fiberglass/plastic panels: less/no door dings!

Solstice
- Handles better on tight turns and maneuvers quicker
- Smaller (16 inches shorter), easier to park without being "crowded"
- Power is more linear and feels more "there when you need it"
- Tighter, more responsive steering
- Better visibility out the back and passenger side
- Good driveline... feels less "clunky" than the Vette's M6 and rear diff
- Headlights surprisingly as good or better than the Vette's
- For me, better body styling... less typical sports car

Obviously all the above "pros" are not weighted equally since I truly like the Solstice better than the Vette overall. Since I'll always have a love for all Corvettes, I may be back when the C7 is released... will have to see how well GM does with the design. BTW, owning both really wasn't an option for me. Having two cars that are driven infrequently and owning 4 cars just wasn't feasible for us. We need two SUV's for daily driving and hauling stuff (like kids) and having two "toy cars" on top of that really just didn't make sense when neither would be driven that often and we'd need more garage space to store them.

Mike
I suppose you'll be making new friends on the Solstice forum now as well. Bye
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
MSC6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say I respect your opinion and detailed comparison but you could not GIVE me a Solstice. I dreamed about owning a Corvette for 21 years because it was a Corvette. People always seem to be drawn to it and know exactly what it is, a Corvette. Everyone has their own opinion, obviously, and all that matters is that you are happy with your decision. For me, I'll keep the Vette !
Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I dunno...the solstice is just such a womanly car.

I like the sky a lot...but the solstice is too bubbly.

Glad you like it though...personalyl I could never replace my C6 with a 4banger rollerskate though.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the review. That was quite a review. I'll stick to the vette, but their are quite a few cars, esp Porsches that carve corners with more agility than the C6 but lack the same visceral power. They all can be fun but the C6 is the most sexy in vert or coupe form. IMHO
Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Sammgb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
BTW, owning both really wasn't an option for me. Having two cars that are driven infrequently and owning 4 cars just wasn't feasible for us. We need two SUV's for daily driving and hauling stuff (like kids) and having two "toy cars" on top of that really just didn't make sense when neither would be driven that often and we'd need more garage space to store them.

Mike
You sir, have your priorities completely and totally out of whack!
You can NEVER have too many toy cars that are driven infrequently!

Seriously though, good luck with the Solstice. I have to admit, I do like its GM sister (Satrun Sky) quite a bit and have even thought about taking one for a test drive. Based on your comments, I might actually give one a look. The wife won't let me sell the Vette so it might be curtains for an MG...
Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I appreciate the balance of your review - but let me be the first to wager you'll be back in a Vette someday................

Glad you are happy with your current situation.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM
stabori
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Yes.. well.... the solstice is cute...

just kidding. Glad u like what u paid for.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

EXACTLY!
Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I dunno...the solstice is just such a womanly car.

I like the sky a lot...but the solstice is too bubbly.

Glad you like it though...personalyl I could never replace my C6 with a 4banger rollerskate though.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM
adconti
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sammgb
You sir, have your priorities completely and totally out of whack!
You can NEVER have too many toy cars that are driven infrequently!

Seriously though, good luck with the Solstice. I have to admit, I do like its GM sister (Satrun Sky) quite a bit and have even thought about taking one for a test drive. Based on your comments, I might actually give one a look. The wife won't let me sell the Vette so it might be curtains for an MG...
I too like the looks of the Sky, but when I sat in it it felt as cramped as a BMW Z4. I do like the looks of the Solstice though. Probably won't sit in one for a while though.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I just saw a Sky yesteday with the top up. And while the outside of the two bodies, Sky and Solstice are quite different, the tops are the same. And in my opinion, barring the recent thread on the looks of the C6 coupe vs. convertible, the Sky/Solstice top is really quite different. Again, in my opinion, I can't recall a production car that has/had such a kit car look to the cloth top.

I appreciate your review, and considering the car is at least a couple hundred or more pounds lighter, I would hope that the "feel" of the handling would be quite different. Per your review, it is.

For all those who've had the first gen RX7s as I've had, as well as far more modern cars like the Boxsters and Miatas and MR2s, there are cars that handle really well for what they are. And what they are, are several hundred pounds lighter, and several dozen horsepower less than the C6. And maybe more importantly, several inches narrower tires all around which certainly contributes to the "feel" of nimble/reacting steering and handling. If, for instance, the car came from the factory with (somehow) a 400 hp, 4cyl. engine,* without those wider tires, the car would hardly move without going sideways. Add wider tires, much wider, and then it would be interesting to comment on the "feel" and handling of the car, especially since the weight would probably go up by a bit.

Glad you're happy with the car!

*think, Offenhauser, 4 cyl, 400+ hp

Last edited by AORoads; 02-13-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Glad that you like your new ride.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM
georgvette
Intermediate

I've recently jumped from an RX8 to a Boxster to the C6. There are still things I like about all of them. I just like "cars" in general. Right now the C6 is where I want to be, but I know I'll be off to something else in a couple years. Enjoy the Solstice!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
MostWanted
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great analysis and more importantly you are happy!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

I wouldn't put the Solstice in the same class as the Vette. It should be more likely compared to a BMW Z3/4 or any other rollerskate sized roadster.
I have 2 friends that have them, and they love them.
As far as acceleration goes, when I gave them a ride in my 07, all they could say was WOW!
The Solstice should feel tighter in the twisties. It has a much shorter wheelbase.
I'm really glad you are happy with your choice, but for me, I'll stick with American Muscle.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 PM
AeroDog
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Carolina raised but in Loveland CO for tha duration
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding "running out of breath at 5000 rpm", you should try an LS3. It revs so fast, I have a hard time staying out of the rev limiter. With the other six Vettes I've owned, with the possible exception of my 96 LT4, I always short shifted based on seat-of-the-pants feel.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 PM
H2LS3
Pro

I love the reviews of 2 cars that are not even in the same ballpark. Why bother? Personally you couldnt pay me to drive a Solstice, Miata, Z3 or any other car that should only come in pink, but to each his own. Glad you are happy, have a good one.

Get notified of new replies

To My Solstice vs. Vette review

Old 02-13-2008, 01:27 PM
edv2122
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too got bored of my two prior C5s and wanted something different so I went into a BMW then an Infinity and never found the passion I had for those cars that I found in the Vette. So after a couple of years I went back to the Vette family with a C6. As soon as I got back into it the world just seemed right again. I have found a new appreciation with the C6 finding I will get bored with just about anything however I know now how much passion I have for Corvettes and will have this one until maybe the 2nd or 3rd year run of the C7. If for some reason the C7 gets scrapped or does live up to the Corvette name due to the impending emmisions regulation then I will look for a C6 Z down the road.

As far as the comparision between the C6 and Solstice I can't even begin to comment as I don't think they are comparable. The C6 is a true sports car while the solstice is a sporty car. I am not being disrespectful at all just expressioning an opinion. Also my feeling does not come from the bias of being a Corvette nut because I can certainly debate the merits of other sports cars such as a Porsche, Viper, Lotus, Shelby etc.. but the Soltice does not fit in there for me.

As long as it puts a smile on yor face thats what matters, but pros and cons between the two

Last edited by edv2122; 02-13-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Not my Cup of Tea...but glad you're happy with your decision! Good Luck in the Solstice/Sky world!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good review.

In support of the Solstice/Sky line from GM, Vette Magazine (Feb & Mar. 08) recently did a story on autocrossing and referenced great handling cars of this size, such as the new Miata. While the Vette is an awesome car for handling AND straight line performance, these smaller, lighter and sometimes lower cars have their place on the fun meter for those looking to stay loyal to the General.

Search this Thread