Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New Dodge Challanger

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 AM
02-z28
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ yea and i bet you believe that a stock c5 is a lot faster than a stock ls1 camaro/trans am
Old 02-28-2008, 09:31 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemlock
I don't have to have the fastest car on the planet. I don't care if it weighs 4,000 +; I like the looks of the car. Perhaps it is just a trip down memory lane for old farts like me but I want one. Unfortunately, unless one is willing to pay well over MSRP getting one this year may be next to impossible. Perhaps as others have told me the picture may change next year and mere mortals will actually be able to order one.

I like the camaro too but I may be dead and buried before GM gets their heads out of their collective butts and releases them.
Hemlock... I agree. This new challenger srt/8 is a cool new vehicle..

Might just be one of the best of the present day Chrysler.. next to the viper.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:38 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fauxrs2
the 1st year is a limited run so you can count on the "cool car fee" of $5k or so, just like what occured on the PT cruiser, the mini and the 1st year mustang.
Most definitely they'll be marked up. However, the true LX guys like myself are waiting for the late '08 builds that will most definitely have 6 speed t56's with 3.92 LSD rears and a bump in HP. Most likely ~500HP. This is a fact. The first 1500 built are pretty much the same as the other LX SRT8 flavors in design and weight. They are EXACTLY the same as the current LX SRT8 flavors in the way of drivetrain from filter to wheel bearing.

Originally Posted by PMD C6
It looks the part but I think most high HP cars will be able to take it not just the corvette. From the numbers that Dodge is claiming it appears that it will be slower than the SRT8 Charger/300C.
It will NOT be slower than the SRT8 Charger or 300C. See my previous post. They're the same damn car.

Sure 425 crank horsepower sounds like alot but isn't THAT much to brag about when it's in a car that's going to weigh more than Jabba's sail barge.
High 12's with a car running 20's? Yeah...That's slow.

Originally Posted by sampson
With a curb weight of 4140 lbs and a 0-60 in "low 5 seconds" I wouldn't be too worried.
4.7's is the norm. 5's is way overly conservative. Mid 4's is very common at the strip in stock trim and a tune.

Originally Posted by GN1270
mid to low 13 sec car.
That tops out at 174MPH.....It's not all about ET's ya know. If you haven't been in an SRT8 on the highway, you don't deserve an opinion.

Originally Posted by 02-z28
...a stock ls1 Camaro would dust it, and you're telling the vettes' to be careful...?
Put the pipe down crackhead.

LOL you must have comprehension issues if you don't realize that a 4200 pound pig with 430-500 hp AT THE CRANK would beat a 350 hp at the crank car that ways nearly 1/2 a ton less.
I love F-body guys that mouth off. They eat crow repeatedly on the street and the strip.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

THIS is the Charger they should have built. If I recall, the concept had an engine that ran on CNG, or compressed natural gas...like your stove or furnace. HP and MPG were just as good or better even in the V8 engine, and you could fill your tank at home and pay for it on your next gas bill. The same emissions as a water heater or stove.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vvv90
Most definitely they'll be marked up. However, the true LX guys like myself are waiting for the late '08 builds that will most definitely have 6 speed t56's with 3.92 LSD rears and a bump in HP. Most likely ~500HP. This is a fact. The first 1500 built are pretty much the same as the other LX SRT8 flavors in design and weight. They are EXACTLY the same as the current LX SRT8 flavors in the way of drivetrain from filter to wheel bearing.

It will NOT be slower than the SRT8 Charger or 300C. See my previous post. They're the same damn car.

4.7's is the norm. 5's is way overly conservative. Mid 4's is very common at the strip in stock trim and a tune.

That tops out at 174MPH.....It's not all about ET's ya know. If you haven't been in an SRT8 on the highway, you don't deserve an opinion.

I love F-body guys that mouth off. They eat crow repeatedly on the street and the strip.

While the Challenger is a new breath of life for Chrysler's line up, 90% of what your saying is not fact. But it's nice to see you like Challengers re-birth onto the market.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:55 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by Glass Act
90% of what your saying is not fact.
No...Sorry...100% of what I said is fact.

Put up or shut up. Go ahead and voice your opinion about any part I'm wrong or inaccurate about. I've got a slew of time slips, videos, and pictures to back up my previous comments.

You have nothing.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
02-z28
Safety Car

^^^^ lets see those 2009 dodge challenger time slips please
Old 02-29-2008, 12:55 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Ha ha. Very funny.

I was referring to any current LX vehicle.

However, considering it's THE SAME DAMN CAR AS THE CURRENT SRT8'S as I've said, you can rest assured high 12's on stock rubber will be nothing spectacular.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 PM
terps
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
THIS is the Charger they should have built. If I recall, the concept had an engine that ran on CNG, or compressed natural gas...like your stove or furnace. HP and MPG were just as good or better even in the V8 engine, and you could fill your tank at home and pay for it on your next gas bill. The same emissions as a water heater or stove.

Now that would have been awesome! Is that a photoshop or some kind of concept?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by terps
Now that would have been awesome! Is that a photoshop or some kind of concept?
From that angle it looks pretty badarse, but check out the other pictures. It looks dated.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/425.html
Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From that angle it looks pretty badarse, but check out the other pictures. It looks dated.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/425.html

Meh I would still take it over the new Charger. It has just enough of the classic design in it mixed with what looks like the '90's Avenger front end. Good thing I kind of liked the Avenger.

If they built the new Charger like THAT next year it would so much sweeter.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Please post some of your stock slips.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

The Challenger is a full production car with no limit in production numbers. They are not 6 speeds with t56 or do they have 3.92 gearing, not even as an option.

Challenger is not even built on the same body support design as the F-series models, will it be slower than the SRT8. In testing it showed traction problems that may or may not be corrected in later 2008 models or 2009. Traction loss is due to center weight moved to the forward position to allow for the stubby rear panels for looks.

Mid 12's was consistant with testing results, running 20" tires has nothing to do with ET, but does reflect engine RPM.

These numbers you are quoted and you must have pulled out of a hat. Any F-body (300 / magnum / charger) would not under factory installed componets have never been seen under testing.

No, I repeat no F-body Chrysler will see 174 MPH, your dreaming without facts. The Viper would strain to meet those speeds under highway conditions.

Challenger will be a great looking and handling car, but so are many other 4100 lb wide track vehicles.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Default Wrong

The Challenger is a full production car with no limit in production numbers.
Let's stick to the real topic of SRT8's since it's the only car that actually exists right now. There most definitely is a set number. That number is being reported as 6400 for 2008 models.

Base and R/T models go on sale in 2009 and will be debuted to the public on March 19th. They will have the new 5.7 Hemi making ~380HP. So that means all 2008 models are in fact SRT8's.

They are not 6 speeds with t56 or do they have 3.92 gearing, not even as an option.
EVERYBODY who is really in anticipation of the upcoming Challenger knows they will have an optional TREMEC 6 speed with 3.92 LSD. Hell, even the R/T version will have an option for a 6 speed. This is NOT new information. I said in my previous post "late '08" but I meant late in 08 being '09 SRT8's. No 2008 models will have the 6 speed. The option is called the Trak Pack.

Challenger is not even built on the same body support design as the F-series models,
F-series? It's not a Camaro man, stop saying F series.

If you're trying to say that the Challenger's LY/LC platform is completely different than the LX platform you'd have a hard time convincing anyone that it's that major of a change. Aside from the wheelbase being 4" shorter, it's essentially an LX vehicle just like the Magnum, 300, and Charger.

will it be slower than the SRT8. In testing it showed traction problems that may or may not be corrected in later 2008 models or 2009. Traction loss is due to center weight moved to the forward position to allow for the stubby rear panels for looks.
425HP and traction problems!!!????!!!!!!?????? Uh, No s*it.

Stop reading the rags. They're wrong. I don't know what "testing" source you're referring to, and I don't care generally what the mags report. However, if you want fodder, C&D was able to run 0-60 in 4.7 with an ET of 13.1. That's better then they've done with any other SRT vehicle they've written about. Being an automatic with TC will be really easy to learn how to get traction. The great thing about my SRT8 is it's so consistent.

Mid 12's was consistant with testing results, running 20" tires has nothing to do with ET, but does reflect engine RPM.
Who reported mid 12's??? That's pretty aggresive. It's possible, but only in -DA. It's happened with other SRT8's. In decent DA will yield consistent 12.7-12.9's for stock SRT8's.

As far as 20's not effecting ET that's nonsense. 20" wheels definetely will be a detriment over smaller lighter wheels and tires. How do I know this? SRT8 Guys do nothing more than swap them out for 18's at the track and drop .2 off their ET.

These numbers you are quoted and you must have pulled out of a hat.

Any F-body (300 / magnum / charger) would not under factory installed componets have never been seen under testing.

No, I repeat no F-body Chrysler will see 174 MPH, your dreaming without facts. The Viper would strain to meet those speeds under highway conditions.
There you go again with the F-body thing

Nope, sorry, wrong!

Do this....Google for "srt8 top speed" and you'll see 174 plastered all over the pages. But if you must know, here is a lightly modded one. Tune, CAI, and catback only. Those pieces usually yield around 25HP:

It was Chrsyler that tested it to 174 in first place bro. Besides, I've hit 165MPH and it still had more. I just slowed because 165 is damn scary in any car. My SRT8 was still smooth at that speed. I have countless friends and forum mates that have hit 171MPH and above. If you need more evidence on this I can provide it.

Who's the one dreaming? You've obviously never taken a car at that speed on any highway. Besides, I live in Illinois. long stretches of asphalt are everywhere. Some stock ones have reported topping out at 171MPH. Some have reported topping at 176MPH. It all depends on your weather conditions and the road surface. Here's what C&D did:

"At a suburban Detroit test track near the U.S. headquarters for DaimlerChrysler Corp., engineers recently pushed a new Chrysler sedan to maximum performance: 172 mph, says Csaba Csere, editor in chief of Car and Driver magazine."

Go tell Csaba Csere that he's dreaming.

I hate name dropping, but FWIW I hung out several times with Ralph Gilles. He's had his SRT8 to 174MPH. Google his name if you don't know him. He's kind important in Chrysler circles.

Challenger will be a great looking and handling car, but so are many other 4100 lb wide track vehicles.
Agreed.

Last edited by vvv90; 02-29-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Actually, I might have a slip for you come March 16th when I get to see the first production one on the street. 1 person I personally know is getting one and I'm sure we'll try to convince him to bring it to the track with us that day.

BTW: Challengers don't start hitting the lots until April at the earliest.

Pics to come for sure. Stay tuned.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

vvv90,
You should have read my profile before you toss useless numbers and dates around, or read all the past post here on Challenger over the past month or so. There is nothing I don't know about this car or any of Chryslers F-Body series built at B-assembly plant.
Look for Challenger at dealers in late May early June, not one has been produced at Brampton Assembly as of this date except line test models, which are sent out and destroyed, a few are saved for future QC control testing if recalls are proved.
If you wish to talk true facts or have questions on F-Body series, I'd be happy to discuss / debate them.

Again, I'm glad you like the newest F-Body series Challenger, if your thinking of a STR8 model, buy it before the 2010 model year, unless you like V6

Last edited by Glass Act; 02-29-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It is a good looking car and it is priced right. Cool, yet another victim to fall to the mighty Vette in our highways... I meant the track.

Get notified of new replies

To New Dodge Challanger

Old 03-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Hemlock
Instructor

vvv90,
You should have read my profile before you toss useless numbers and dates around, or read all the past post here on Challenger over the past month or so. There is nothing I don't know about this car or any of Chryslers F-Body series built at B-assembly plant.
Look for Challenger at dealers in late May early June, not one has been produced at Brampton Assembly as of this date except line test models, which are sent out and destroyed, a few are saved for future QC control testing if recalls are proved.
If you wish to talk true facts or have questions on F-Body series, I'd be happy to discuss / debate them.

Again, I'm glad you like the newest F-Body series Challenger, if your thinking of a STR8 model, buy it before the 2010 model year, unless you like V6
You obviously have a lot of genuine insight into the car. With that in mind let me ask you why is the factory limiting the production numbers? There appears to be a large market for the car so I don't understand why the factory would intentionally limit its profit. If they are built in larger numbers the dealers will have less need to mark them up beyond MSRP. The dealers would still make a nice profit because of the larger numbers they would sell; the factory would make more money and even the finance companies/banks/etc. would benefit. Heck, even the states where they are titled would make more money not to mention an entire cottage industry built around hi-po products. Oh, and lets not forget the customer (especially me) would would be happy. What am I missing?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:20 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Default You want to debate?

Well, you're not doing a very good job at it quite frankly. In fact I think you're just interested in looking good. Maybe I should have looked at your profile first instead of assuming you were a typical CF guy interested only in bashing Chrsyler, but you're not being fair in the least with your comments.

You want to debate? Ok first:

1.) Start by retracting your comment and/or giving credit to my facts surrounding the 6-speed option and Trak Pack.

2.) Retract your comment about SRT8's (current, not Challengers) topping at 174MPH. This is common knowlege in the community and has been proven many times.

3.) Specify a date surrounding the debut of the base and R/T models. My date was not "pulled out of a hat" Unless you're going to counter with another date, you can't just say I'm wrong. That's not debating.

4.) You can seriously help this debate by admitting you don't know everything. I would never say something like that. Any time someone says something that foolish you can guarantee it's not true. That's just a basic life lesson. But who knows, maybe you do know everything only surround the Brampton plant. It's obvious though that you're not as familiar with current SRT8's as you should be.

I will give you credit on what you've stated only once you go back and intelligently debate what I've said. You have done a poor job at that. You have said true and interesting things but I will not give credit to them until you give credit to my accurate information.

BTW: Did I mention I know someone who will have a production Challenger and that I will be seeing it on Marth 16th? Yeah, I think I did. Like I said, pictures to come. Said person is not just some Joe Schmo who's picking it up at the dealership. That would be impossible. I should have been more clear on this.

BTW: Can I get your name so I can tell Ralph Gilles, Joe Dehner,
Larry Lyons, Tony Elias, Mike Accavitti, Zoran Bogdanovic, Kris Pakizer,
Scott Brown, James Kinsey, Gregory Goebel, Eric Munk or Joey Johnson that I've been chatting with you when I see them in a couple weeks?

You know, that whole "trust but verify" thing.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hemlock
You obviously have a lot of genuine insight into the car. With that in mind let me ask you why is the factory limiting the production numbers? There appears to be a large market for the car so I don't understand why the factory would intentionally limit its profit. If they are built in larger numbers the dealers will have less need to mark them up beyond MSRP. The dealers would still make a nice profit because of the larger numbers they would sell; the factory would make more money and even the finance companies/banks/etc. would benefit. Heck, even the states where they are titled would make more money not to mention an entire cottage industry built around hi-po products. Oh, and lets not forget the customer (especially me) would would be happy. What am I missing?
Hemlock.
There is no intention on limiting production of the Challenger. I think the easiest way to explain it is this, when a new year model (example 2007 to 2008 model) the dealer lots are still hosting 2007 model in limited numbers, thus the lots look like they have plenty for the customer to choose from. The customer can buy say, a 2007 model or wait for more 2008 to arrive.

Here's the issue with Challenger, since it's a completely new model, the dealer lots are empty. Challenger at B-Assembly (Brampton) will be a full daily production model. B-assembly can and will produce 140.422 units (Challengers) by the end of December 2008. In the early stage of production (Apr.for May delivery) with only B-assembly plant producing, and 1000's of dearships in the United States and Canada wait delivery, each dealer will be limited to low delevery until the vast dealer chain is filled. If the predicted numbers are right for sales, at first, B-assembly will be unable to keep up with demand, in sales and dealer lot stock, even though production will run 24 hours a day.

Come about late July / Aug dealers will have plenty either in transit, in production or on their lots. But if sales of Challenger soar close to the 140+ thousand it will look like a limited supply, by empty lots, when in fact maxium production is on target. B-assembly would be ramped up to 24/7, but like any company overtime is an extra expense and cuts right into the top profit line, extra sales (8 days a month extra) will not offset OT cost for a 4200 employee plant, plus supplier OT cost to meet production demands. Supplier plants bid on we will say 140.422 steering wheels, if Chrysler ask for above that number by 3%, Chryslers on the hook for their OT cost also. But these cost can not be passed on to the customer without an outrage from dealers or boycott from buyers.

All the above is still at risk by supplier delivery of needed parts, any stoppage in production for any reason will add strain in the supply chain. I will say this, anyone looking at owning a SRT8 version, should consider 2008 thru 2010 models, restrictions from Governments (United States & Canada) is coming to all car manufactures. These high HP cars will soon end, this will include the loved Corvette. There is a reason Chrysler is dropping the Viper very soon, and it's the top brass knowing whats coming or expected from Government agencies & insurance companies very soon with the high cost and limited supply of fuels and the rising cost of high insurance claim payouts. Anyone old enough remembers the early 70's cutback in high HP vehicles to lower HP, it's just around the corner again.
Hope this answers a few of your questions.

Quick Reply: New Dodge Challanger