Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New Dodge Challanger

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Pug
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vvv90
Actually, I might have a slip for you come March 16th when I get to see the first production one on the street. 1 person I personally know is getting one and I'm sure we'll try to convince him to bring it to the track with us that day.

BTW: Challengers don't start hitting the lots until April at the earliest.

Pics to come for sure. Stay tuned.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:49 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I never ever buy the first run of any vehcle, the only people who should but those first cars should be the ones who lock the car away and don't intend to use it.

I have had first runs and the cars were disapointing, engines were to small, they always fix that later on, paint and finish are usually bad, and they are full of small and large problems.

But if you don't mind an underpowered, car with bad paint and lousy body work,that has lots of problems this may be the car for you, or you just go out and get a Solsitce.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I never ever buy the first run of any vehcle, the only people who should but those first cars should be the ones who lock the car away and don't intend to use it.

I have had first runs and the cars were disapointing, engines were to small, they always fix that later on, paint and finish are usually bad, and they are full of small and large problems.

But if you don't mind an underpowered, car with bad paint and lousy body work,that has lots of problems this may be the car for you, or you just go out and get a Solsitce.
OK, so a '63 split window would of been out of the question for you then. Actually,, I say the exact same thing,, wait till the third production year, minimum, let them work the bugs out...
Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
OK, so a '63 split window would of been out of the question for you then. Actually,, I say the exact same thing,, wait till the third production year, minimum, let them work the bugs out...

Thats true I don't care for the 63, but love the other years, I had a dozen of them, mostly ragtops, I had only one coupe a 66, too dam hot inside, it was 396 without air.

I can't see what the big deal was on that car, I would rather have a nice 67, coupe or ragtop, anyday over a 63, in 67 they finaly got the car right, and then built another dud the 68.

But that is just my opinion, with my opinion and 2 dollars you could get a coffee.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Pug
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Actually, I might have a slip for you come March 16th when I get to see the first production one on the street. 1 person I personally know is getting one and I'm sure we'll try to convince him to bring it to the track with us that day.

BTW: Challengers don't start hitting the lots until April at the earliest.

Pics to come for sure. Stay tuned.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pug

Being called out apparently ....And rightfully so since I shot my mouth off.

I guess I was just too disappointed Sammy didn't have his Challenger there that I promised. So here's the Challenger that was supposed to make it but didnt:

I bet you've never seen that one before.

Sam Hubinette is the driver for the Charger drift team and here is me with him back on March 15th wearing an official Charger Drift Team jacket (No, they don't just give those out to anyone):

The event that was hosted was the Spring Festival of LX's hosted by my friend John Fortuno (Handle=fatchance) and sponsored by Chrsyler.

Here's me with the inventor of my 300C SRT-8 Ralph Gilles:

Here's one Challenger that was there that Ralph brought. I believe it was 0004 of 6400? (the number I was told was bogus by mr Glassact.):

So in short, no track times to show....Here's some pics of the track event after the meet on March 16th:

Sam and his fam:

Charger Drift team cars...obviously not Chargers. :

Here's some pics of my friends Scott from GS Motorsports (Official sponser for the Charger Drift Team) Dave Farrell owner and operator of LXforums.com and srt08.com and enthusiats Chris, Ron and his wife.

Base and R/T models go on sale in 2009 and will be debuted to the public on March 19th.
Originally Posted by Glass_Act
You should have read my profile before you toss useless numbers and dates around
Oh really? Apparently the 2009 Challenger R/T and SE made it's debut on Wednesday March 19th.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080319....ed-at-new-york

Last edited by vvv90; 04-27-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
sneakypete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I will bet you those challangers will bring $80,000 or more. You can not just buy one from a dealer. The big dodge dealer close to us, in richmond Va. is getting 3, that is it. Will put them out on a sealed bid. You only need 3 well healed guys or gals who want one, and the regular guys are not even in the game. I would not pay twice what a car cost at msrp, I do not care how the nice the car is.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM

[QUOTE=vvv90;1565213315]Being called out apparently ....And rightfully so since I shot my mouth off.

I guess I was just too disappointed Sammy didn't have his Challenger there that I promised. So here's the Challenger that was supposed to make it but didnt:

I bet you've never seen that one before.

Thats an image off of Viztech site in, I believe Germany, they are nothing but graphic designers using computers to create an image, the name Viztech is not even a real racing team or company that has any of the cars on their site. Are you saying this is your friends car now. Here's the link to their site to prove my point about this picture you posted, it's a computer drawn car only.

http://www.viztech.se/engelsk/index.html
Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Thats an image off of Viztech site in, I believe Germany, they are nothing but graphic designers using computers to create an image, the name Viztech is not even a real racing team or company that has any of the cars on their site.
You are correct sir.

Are you saying this is your friends car now.
First off, I never said "he's my friend." You're putting words in my mouth.....again.

Here's the link to their site to prove my point about this picture you posted, it's a computer drawn car only.

http://www.viztech.se/engelsk/index.html
You're right, it is a picture from Vizualtech but guess who for:

http://blog.samuelhubinette.com/arch...Drift-car.html

Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most definitely they'll be marked up. However, the true LX guys like myself are waiting for the late '08 builds that will most definitely have 6 speed t56's with 3.92 LSD rears and a bump in HP. Most likely ~500HP. This is a fact. The first 1500 built are pretty much the same as the other LX SRT8 flavors in design and weight. They are EXACTLY the same as the current LX SRT8 flavors in the way of drivetrain from filter to wheel bearing.

It will NOT be slower than the SRT8 Charger or 300C. See my previous post. They're the same damn car.

High 12's with a car running 20's? Yeah...That's slow.

4.7's is the norm. 5's is way overly conservative. Mid 4's is very common at the strip in stock trim and a tune.

That tops out at 174MPH.....It's not all about ET's ya know. If you haven't been in an SRT8 on the highway, you don't deserve an opinion.

Put the pipe down crackhead.

I love F-body guys that mouth off. They eat crow repeatedly on the street and the strip.

Open mouth insert foot any day now. i owned a 300 SRT-8 and i have raced my 300 SRT-8 many times. The very best times that were acheived in the SRT-8 community were 12.9's, most run in the mid to low 13's like I said. Send me your address. i wanna mail you a check so you can buy a clue.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by
Thats an image off of Viztech site in, I believe Germany, they are nothing but graphic designers using computers to create an image, the name Viztech is not even a real racing team or company that has any of the cars on their site. Are you saying this is your friends car now. Here's the link to their site to prove my point about this picture you posted, it's a computer drawn car only. :toetap:

[url
http://www.viztech.se/engelsk/index.html[/url]

(He was joking)

btw, I wouldn't pay 1c over msrp for this car, it ain't really nothing special- mechanically. It's all window dressing, not like a race ready AAR Cuda. ....... AAR Cuda....

Last edited by RunningMan373; 04-29-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

ugly POS IMO. Damn people, its 2008, not 1978!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by GN1270
The very best times that were acheived in the SRT-8 community were 12.9's,
The VERY best? 12.9? Absolutely not:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt...one-stock.html

Anyone who's truly part of "THE SRT-8 COMMUNITY" wouldn't be arguing with me because nothing that I have said thus far about the SRT8 is an exaggeration at all. If you'll notice also, the very first post of mine in that link was VERY skeptical, and after much research it turned out to be true.

BTW: Feel free to PM Brent_eb02. He's a member on this forum as well. His vid link is broken but I'm sure he'd be happy to show it to you.

There's also a bunch of links out there of 12.7 stock runs but you can do your own searching. I think I've made my point.

most run in the mid to low 13's like I said.
Yes, I will agree with that. What did I say to the contrary????

Send me your address. i wanna mail you a check so you can buy a clue.
Ha Ha

Keep the check, you apparently need the clue more than I do.

Like I said, if you had any real ties to the SRT8 community you wouldn't be arguing with me. I suggest you get on the forums and start getting out to race with "THE SRT8 COMMUNITY." MANY SRT8's stock have ran 12.7's. 12.9's is still considered pretty low but possible in a good track prep with a decent DA.....and yet I will agree most run mid to low 13's.

So where is your argument against anything I've said? The only time I quoted you was after your
a 13 second car
comment which is surprising because if you are the proud owner of an SRT8 I doubt you'd be saying that.

Whatever

Last edited by vvv90; 04-29-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Ok, The first year when they were out and I was on that same board the best times were 12.9's. Someone ran an 10.9 in a Z06 but I would not call the Z06 an 10 sec car. When I was on that board all the best times were also being set at Cecil and in NJ on 40 degree days. Its not an 11 second car. If you do not think the Challenger is a dissapointment with the same ol SRT-8 engine in it instead of the first projected 500hp hemi then I don't know what to say.

You are also admitting to my mid to 13 sec average and on the other hand you are arguing it. My point is that the challenger is no faster or lighter than any other SRT8. Its just a different body on the same tired Mercedes platform and going on almost 5 years with the motor and no HP increase.

I traded in my CTS-V for my SRT-8. I then traded it on a Vette, that I traded on a Viper, then for the wifes SUV.

and ..... The SRT-8 was fine. Alot of room, enough power. Hated the way it shifted and needed a better seat to hold you in place.

What would make me want to buy a Challenger if I already owned the same exact car 3 years ago? Should have had a lot more HP.

again..another mid to low 13 second overweight SRT8

Last edited by GN1270; 04-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Not gonna matter if no one gets to drive one, anyway,, and at 2x msrp, only fools and rich boys will. wait for the glut- 2-3 years and pick one up cheap, or wait for $10 a gal gas, and pick one up cheap.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by GN1270
Ok, The first year when they were out and I was on that same board the best times were 12.9's.
Although most people's lowest times were in the 12.9's initially when the SRT8's came out, Brent_EB02 posted that time the first summer of the SRT8 advent. I don't know how you missed that one because it was all over the boards, and yes, it was on an East Coast track which are known for great -DA's.

Someone ran an 10.9 in a Z06 but I would not call the Z06 an 10 sec car.
I wouldn't either, but it's not crazy to call it "a low 11 sec" car even though the rags give it a high 11 ranking. It's all semantics really. ANYONE in a stock SRT8 in a decent DA with a little practice can break 12's. It's not a crazy time. It's a very attainable time.

If you do not think the Challenger is a dissapointment with the same ol SRT-8 engine in it instead of the first projected 500hp hemi then I don't know what to say.
Go back and read what I've already posted. I specifically said "The real LX (Challenger) enthusiats are waiting for the '09's which will have the rumored ~525HP Engine" er something to that effect.

Trust me, we're all disappointed, but it doesn't mean the current Chally is a slow POS either.

You are also admitting to my mid to 13 sec average and on the other hand you are arguing it.
I'm not arguing anything. Where did I ever say the SRT8's don't average 13's?

My point is that the challenger is no faster or lighter than any other SRT8.
Agreed. It's not really a step forward in anything other than design. But it's still badarse and so is my 3 year old SRT8 compared to most modern cars so I still like the Chally, but there's no question that the SRT team needs to step it up in performance, and they will! Hell, even Glass_Act can agree with me on that hopefully!

Its just a different body on the same tired Mercedes platform
Actually it's a misnomer that it's the E chassis Merc. There's quite a few differences, and if you were an owner you HAVE to agree it's suprisingly solid and comparable to any modern full sized car costing twice (ala BMW 760il)

and going on almost 5 years with the motor and no HP increase.
Well, that's not fair actually. The new gen Hemi is 5 years old but the 6.1 is only ~3.5 years old. I still agree a HP bump is due, and it's coming. Look at the new 2009 5.7 Hemi with it's 375HP.

I traded in my CTS-V for my SRT-8. I then traded it on a Vette, that I traded on a Viper, then for the wifes SUV.
Shoulda' kept the SRT8. I'm biased and love it, what can I say. At least you traded it in for a Vette!

What would make me want to buy a Challenger if I already owned the same exact car 3 years ago? Should have had a lot more HP.
Same reason I won't buy one....I practically have one already minus the look in my garage. I hear ya.

again..another mid to low 13 second overweight SRT8

I still disagree with your "rolleyes."

Last edited by vvv90; 05-01-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Charlie M
Pro

[QUOTE=RunningMan373;1564106760]What I really love about the new Challanger, is that it looks spot on the original. Fortunatly, the new 'Vette should take it, at least the Z06 will. Be carefull out there, people!QUOTE]

People just love to hate on the Corvette. I think the last Corvette that could not beat this tank was built when Disco was still the thing.

Get notified of new replies

To New Dodge Challanger

Old 05-04-2008, 02:31 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Charlie M;1565303093]
Originally Posted by RunningMan373
What I really love about the new Challanger, is that it looks spot on the original. Fortunatly, the new 'Vette should take it, at least the Z06 will. Be carefull out there, people!QUOTE]

People just love to hate on the Corvette. I think the last Corvette that could not beat this tank was built when Disco was still the thing.
What are you talking about? besides the fact that I just completed a 1 1/2 year hands on (sometimes bloody) explitive filled minor resto on my '73, I said "Fortunatly, the new 'Vette should take it, at least the Z06 will" what I am warning or fellow hallowed brethren about is the 18y/o driving the 400hp behemoth,, and,, this is the C3 section. the majority are stock 'vettes made in the disco era, check the production numbers,, so like I said- Be carefull out there, people!
Old 05-04-2008, 03:27 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a Challenger running in the One Lap of America.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like I posted too soon

Last edited by efranzen; 05-04-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: New Dodge Challanger