Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Comparison Test, by Proxy: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro vs. 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:02 PM
FaSSt67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was looking at new cars id definitely think about a challenger, I could care less whether a cobalt would beat me around a road course or not.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by vvv90

You argue like a woman.
he cries to the mods like one as well, never mind him, he's a magazine racer, and I can bet my life I can smoke his LS1 C5 around a track, and in the 1/4 in a challenger, Ive seen some bone stock ones go low 13's
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
he cries to the mods like one as well, never mind him, he's a magazine racer, and I can bet my life I can smoke his LS1 C5 around a track, and in the 1/4 in a challenger, Ive seen some bone stock ones go low 13's

Stock ones are in the 12's.

My 300C SRT8 has all season tires and a predator canned tune and ran 12.88, and I"m in Chicago where we don't have near the DA's the East Coast tracks do.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

That'd be a bad bet from a guy who crashes his vehicles as often as you do. Dream on!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Guess which one is Dave68.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Both are too wimpy to be me, but I did find a photo of VV and Nytime:

Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave68

At least you got me on a good day.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

That'd be a bad bet from a guy who crashes his vehicles as often as you do. Dream on!
Um crash? what are you talking about? I have never crashed a vehicle, what the hell are you talking about? I have got in one accident in my life and that was recent when 21 year old girl hit me head on, she got 3 tickets, I could have died, are you poking fun at that? Crashing cars's you would put my Viper and C6 Z in the ditch before you hit second gear, they are 10 and 11 second cars not 13's like yours. With you driving 14's, please tell me how many race tracks have you run your car at? I can bet ZERO. I would take you in my 5.0 mustang havent had it to the track since I live in chicago, but know it will go 13's right now. Go crawl back into your hole, you are way out of line, now go cry to the mods, nobody like you here , go away.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000
I love the Challenger but then again, I'm partial. I will say though that their target market...was right on target. They are looking for 40ish guys that grew up loving muscle cars. They got at least one of them. Just an awesome car.

Sadly, the Camaro lost its hype before it ever hit the streets. I don't think I'll be trading the challenger for it. I've had mine for nearly 4 months and I still haven't found anything I don't like about it other than the price tag.
Porblem is, the Camaro still hasnt hit the streets yet. GM should of put the Camaro out when it was originally slated for. Im sure they will still sell a lot of them but right now Id rather have a Challenger SRT-8. Ive owned two Camaro's in the past and love them. I really like the looks of the new one but love the looks of the Challenger. Now if only I could afford both of them.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
Porblem is, the Camaro still hasnt hit the streets yet. GM should of put the Camaro out when it was originally slated for. Im sure they will still sell a lot of them but right now Id rather have a Challenger SRT-8. Ive owned two Camaro's in the past and love them. I really like the looks of the new one but love the looks of the Challenger. Now if only I could afford both of them.

Like I've said, Chevy is going to put out a car that's trying to compete with 6 year old Mopar performance.

Now, I'm not saying that to tout Mopar, they need to step up too, I'm just saying that to further your point about how far behind the curve Chevy is!

I mean COME ON! This is the same company that produces the Corvette which is HANDS DOWN the best sports car for the money out there that can compete with cars twice the cost!

Why can't they make an F-body car that can do that?!?!?!?!? The frickin' Shelby Mustang which used is about $40k will still kick the Camaro's butt.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 AM
eddiehaskell
Advanced

The Camaro SS is comparable to the Challenger R/T. Both are around $30k and the Camaro will spank it. The Camaro also spanks the Challenger when you compare V6 models. If I'm not mistaken, the Camaro will be the cheapest car with 300+ hp and the cheapest car with 400+hp. Not bad.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 AM
eddiehaskell
Advanced

Originally Posted by vvv90
Why can't they make an F-body car that can do that?!?!?!?!? The frickin' Shelby Mustang which used is about $40k will still kick the Camaro's butt.
Apples to oranges. Why not compare new vs new? The Camaro SS $30k and the GT500 is $45k.

Price wise, the Camaro SS is more comparable to the Mustang GT....and guess what...the Camaro will destroy it.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

IMO, Chrysler really dropped the ball with the new Challenger. Too big, too heavy and too retro. These are supposed to be pony-cars, not 4100lb tanks. The Camaro will suffer the same too big, too heavy and too retro fate. For all of its warts, the LS1 F-body stuck very close to the pony-car formula and the 2003 F-body should have capitalized upon that. Now we have 3 behemoth, expensive retro-cars that won't capture any of the youth market that these cars originally targeted.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
Now we have 3 behemoth, expensive retro-cars that won't capture any of the youth market that these cars originally targeted.
To me, it seems that todays kids all want four door sedans.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by danziger
IMO, Chrysler really dropped the ball with the new Challenger. Too big, too heavy and too retro. These are supposed to be pony-cars, not 4100lb tanks. The Camaro will suffer the same too big, too heavy and too retro fate. For all of its warts, the LS1 F-body stuck very close to the pony-car formula and the 2003 F-body should have capitalized upon that. Now we have 3 behemoth, expensive retro-cars that won't capture any of the youth market that these cars originally targeted.
Financial Aid May Not Save Chrysler As Independent Company.
The AP (1/8, Krisher, Thomas) reports, "Even by the standards of battered automakers, Chrysler is in dire shape," and according to analysts, "it probably won't survive the year as an independent company -- despite $4 billion in government loans and the possibility of more." The article notes, "Things were so bad last year that a single Toyota model, the Camry/Solara midsize car, outsold the entire fleet of Chrysler LLC's passenger cars. ... US sales of Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brand vehicles fell 30 percent last year, the worst decline of any major automaker. It lost more market share than any of its peers, down to 11 percent." The automaker "plans to introduce an electric car in 2010, but until then, there are few promising models to boost sales. Many analysts predict that by 2010, Chrysler will be acquired by another automaker or sold in pieces by its majority owner, New York private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management."
Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by eddiehaskell
The Camaro SS is comparable to the Challenger R/T. Both are around $30k and the Camaro will spank it. The Camaro also spanks the Challenger when you compare V6 models. If I'm not mistaken, the Camaro will be the cheapest car with 300+ hp and the cheapest car with 400+hp. Not bad.
Apples to oranges. Why not compare new vs new? The Camaro SS $30k and the GT500 is $45k.

Price wise, the Camaro SS is more comparable to the Mustang GT....and guess what...the Camaro will destroy it.

Actually Eddie, you make excellent points here!

I guess I was making assumptions about price points. If the SS is considerably cheaper than the SRT's, then Chevy has met it's mark in my mind.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

The Camaro SS is comparable to the Challenger R/T. Both are around $30k and the Camaro will spank it.
$30k for a top-line Camaro (Z28 or SS) with the top V8 option sounds very cheap in today's market. The base G8 GT is $32k.

Get notified of new replies

To Comparison Test, by Proxy: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro vs. 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Old 01-09-2009, 03:18 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

well if you click on my corvette photos you will see that you have the wrong person, also that my arm is bigger than your leg, why just you go away or post a picture of yourself cause we need a ood laught, your toothpic leg in a shot you had gave me an idea of what you look like, you can also google the 2006 mid IL bodybuilding championships, I competed in that show and my posing routine is in there. I much bigger now, as if I wasnt ripped enough to finsh in the top 96% of my class hahhaha, what a dork Your just mad because all my cars are faster than yours, even my mustang could outrun you hahhaha
Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
To me, it seems that todays kids all want four door sedans.
In my experience, that's not entirely true. I work with a young crowd and most idolize stuff like the 350/370Z, RSX, Civic Si, NSX, GT-R, Prelude, DSMs, Audi R8, RX7/8, etc...even Corvettes. The rally-inspired cars do have a strong following, but 2-doors are by no means dead. IMO, the Big 3 could have done better to address this market Cobalt SS/SRT4 notwithstanding...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Dave68
Race Director

well if you click on my corvette photos you will see that you have the wrong person, also that my arm is bigger than your leg, why just you go away or post a picture of yourself cause we need a ood laught, your toothpic leg in a shot you had gave me an idea of what you look like, you can also google the 2006 mid IL bodybuilding championships, I competed in that show and my posing routine is in there. I much bigger now, as if I wasnt ripped enough to finsh in the top 96% of my class hahhaha, what a dork Your just mad because all my cars are faster than yours, even my mustang could outrun you hahhaha
When you are as big and strong as Ronnie Coleman, then get back to us. Heck, even Lou Ferrigno at 57 years of age is probably stronger.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I heard GM will not import the sport truck from Holden of Australia. I think a small, quick, and economical truck would be fairly popular. It seems even the smallest trucks available today are way bigger than what was available 20 years ago.

Quick Reply: Comparison Test, by Proxy: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro vs. 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8