Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

C6Z vs GT2 vs ACR vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
WOW!!! I have never seen such denial. Here's where every argument CRUMBLES. The 2008 Base Viper has been faster in EVERY head-to-head test against the Z06, and it runs a tire which is comparable. Similar tread wear ratings. Not one test had the Z06 winning around a road course, and some have the BASE Viper winning by substantial margins. And the ACR is substantially faster than the base model Viper, even using the same tires. This is fact, not 'computer blue' math. Aerodynamic aids, brakes, far superior suspension, less weight, etc... all combine to make the ACR a track weapon. Not just the tires - LOL!!

If you honesty think a Z06 with Pilot Cups only has a change in H*ll against a Viper ACR, you need to seriously put down the crack pipe. Now if you said a track prepped Z06 (Headers/Cam, Aerodynamic aids, tires, brakes, coil overs, etc...), you might have 'some' ground to stand on. Even with all those things, I think it would have a tough time. The ACR is a MONSTER at the track, and has proved so not only in magazine test but One Lap of America. It dominated every road course by HUGE margins, and there were track prepped Z06's in attendance. And did I mention the Viper ACR had to run regular Pilot Sports at this event? Yes, the same treadwear rating as the Z06's ran? Hmmm... So Bigbucks and other non-believers, these things you want to happen already have. And the Z06 was not close, let alone ahead.

All hail the track king Viper ACR!!! Be proud, the title remains in the USA
There is no use arguing, all your statements are proven facts, there will always be excuses, everybody wants their car to be the best, nobody will admit that the ACR slaughters everything on a course, that is what it is made to do. The Z06 is a great machine, performs great, but it is not a pure track car, like the ACR, its funny how I see people talking about their navigation, and all the other luxury items found on the Z06, nothing you will ever find on any year Viper, its all business. I was with a girl this weekend and I had my Gen 2 ACR out, I laughed when she pulled the Viser down to try and fix her makeup only to see that there was no Mirror , people just dont get it.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by obzidian
Is that a fact or a opinion to loosely base your point for this thread:

The ACR is king... well, match tire for tire, than we'll see who is king. Hint, the z06 lost in the 1/4 t the acr by a hair, however, you still feel that it won't beat the ACR with a better tire? And the track times, you really, truly feel that the z06 with a R-compound tire will not close the gap, if not equal it or heavens no... surpass it?

Honestly, you were cool until this buddy.... shows how baised you are and how bad yu want to shove down our throats your viper(s) really are.
Look at the 0-100, the hair grows substantially, the ACR is not a 1/4 car
Old 07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
ZeroFear
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT MAGAZINE TEST DATA SO MUCH?????

99% of people who buy these cars cannot drive good enough to even take the car to 50% of its potential ( unless its at the drag strip, and even then alot of people can't launch a stick well ).

95% of people who buy these cars never take them to an autoX or road course track. If they race at all, its in a straight line on the highway or local turnpike. The people who try being all grand turisomo in these cars on public roads end up crashed into a pole or flipped over.

Why do people get all over the nuts of magazine reviews like this. All the cars in the review would be just about equal on the streets, unless you drag raced. Then in that case, the one with the best 0-60 and 1/4 time would have an advantage.

Most people who are into racing around tracks and autoX events build custom cars ( normally cheap gutted imports ) with build suspensions and tires. They don't go out and buy some crazy expensive Viper or ZR1, then go to the track and trash the **** outa it.

Phew!

I'd guarantee if you took the typical purchaser of one of these vehicle's they wouldn't be able to lay down a lap-time anywhere near that magazine data without substantial training and time.

Last edited by ZeroFear; 07-01-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
WOW WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT MAGAZINE TEST DATA SO MUCH?????

99% of people who buy these cars cannot drive good enough to even take the car to 50% of its potential ( unless its at the drag strip, and even then alot of people can't launch a stick well ).

95% of people who buy these cars never take them to an autoX or road course track. If they race at all, its in a straight line on the highway or local turnpike. The people who try being all grand turisomo in these cars on public roads end up crashed into a pole or flipped over.

Why do people get all over the nuts of magazine reviews like this. All the cars in the review would be just about equal on the streets, unless you drag raced. Then in that case, the one with the best 0-60 and 1/4 time would have an advantage.

Most people who are into racing around tracks and autoX events build custom cars ( normally cheap gutted imports ) with build suspensions and tires. They don't go out and buy some crazy expensive Viper or ZR1, then go to the track and trash the **** outa it.

Phew!

I'd guarantee if you took the typical purchaser of one of these vehicle's they wouldn't be able to lay down a lap-time anywhere near that magazine data without substantial training and time.
I agree with you and I dont, I track all my cars(look at my avitar see the numbers on the back?) look at the signature on my Viper, that car is pushing some serious power, granted 90% of it is on a drag strip, but I beat the **** out of my cars. I do agree with you about peoples obsession with "the ring" , more than half these people are 50 year old men, who complain that their navigation isn't good enough. There is a thread now is the C6 Z06 forum where people are talking about the new feature on 2009 vettes that has the electronic hatch, and how they want that feature added to their 2008 Z06's , give me a break just shut the damn hatch with your hands!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
just shut the damn hatch with your hands!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
ZeroFear
Advanced

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
just shut the damn hatch with your hands!!!
LOL

Although, it is sorta sweet. Not because you get to be super lazy and close it with a button, but.... because after you just finish detailing your car, closing the trunk ALWAYS leaves little finger marks unless you have a microfiber handy ( and you look like a tool in a parking lot closing your trunk with a microfiber ).

I also hate when non car people close the door by touching everyplace but the handle!!!!! Then you tell them WTF because you just spent like an hour cleaning that part
Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pilot Sport Cups are not that good of a tire. On a 60-second track with very short straights, I found they offered a 1-second advantage over very good street tires (Kumho MXs). They aren't anything like a Hoosier or V710 or even a Victoracer; they are more like a shaved RA-1. Also, some magazines only test one lap at a time. The Cups take a while to get heated up and aren't very good while cold, even more so than other R-compounds.

Most of the Viper guys I've talked to seem to think the Cups would be 1-1.5 seconds faster than the stock Viper PS2s on a similar course to this test. I realize the PS2s are probably 1 second faster than the Z06's runcraps, though.

On equal tires, I don't think the ZR1 is going to touch the ACR around a road course. In a straight line the ZR1 will murder it. The ACR is the first drivable car to seriously employ real racing aerodynamics to my knowledge, and aerodynamics are the key factor which have led to drops in lap times of race cars over the past few decades. SRT says the ACR, with the wing and splitter in the factory position, has pulled 1.5 g on high speed sweepers. Hell, C&D even had it pulling an average of 1.3 in a 97 mph corner. That is insane for a street car. Anyone who's tried following another vehicle with 50% more grip knows they disappear fast.

I've got a deposit down on an ACR, and I own a '99 FRC C5. I went with the Viper over a ZR1 for some of the following reasons:
  • At the time, I thought it'd be cheaper.
  • I can add power to the Viper, but I can't add aero to the 'vette. The SRT boys got a 7-1 lift-to-drag ratio out of the ACR's aero bits, which is really hard or impossible to replicate without CFD software and access to a wind tunnel.
  • My experiences with my FRC left me wondering if anyone was awake in GM's QC department. Viper drivelines are known to be bulletproof, and I can't say the same about my C5's. Reliability is always my #1 goal.
  • Its absolute massive advantage in all races and tests its participated in.
  • It looks absolutely bad-***. I don't like the look of the ZR1 myself.

When I get my ACR (and I'm not sure when that will be) I plan on running it around a local track with and without the aero bits to see what the difference in lap times will be. I'll also run my C5 on the same track (they should have a similar power/weight, but different tires) and see what the difference is.

Last edited by GrantB; 07-02-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
LOL

Although, it is sorta sweet. Not because you get to be super lazy and close it with a button, but.... because after you just finish detailing your car, closing the trunk ALWAYS leaves little finger marks unless you have a microfiber handy ( and you look like a tool in a parking lot closing your trunk with a microfiber ).

I also hate when non car people close the door by touching everyplace but the handle!!!!! Then you tell them WTF because you just spent like an hour cleaning that part
If you think about it , it takes more effort and time, to make sure you press down to that certain point, where it is going to catch, to me its just another gadget than can break, totally unnecessary on any sports car. Save that crap for the caddy's and BMW's, and Benz's

Quick Reply: C6Z vs GT2 vs ACR vs GTR