Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Dodge Viper in top 10 cars for holding value

Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
You can feel every grove in the road on my ACR, the driver to car input in so in tune, you feel everything, its definately not for anybody who his older, or is scared to push any car, the corvette has safety features, so, Viper doesnt. I like the raw feeling of it, reminds me of my C4 Vette, but just a hell of allot faster, I liked the 01 Z06 and made it into a brute, it lost some drivabilty after I modded it , it was comfortable, but you still had the driver car connection, the C6Z06 while being very fast, was just to numb, when I go over railroad tracks, I want to feel them., but thats just me.
While I agree with most of what you're saying, Dodge's ignorance is what is causing the death of the Viper. I'd rather them neuter it a little and put TC and a decent sporty interior in it that sell it off to someone who might tarnish the brand. That's a bigger cop out than making the base car more appealing to a broader range of people and keeping the likes of an ACR without the comforts.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Dark Overlord
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Dodge only makes the Viper for a certain type of buyer, they don't want balding , middle age men driving them.
I could give a rats a@@ about the viper, but i really dont think Dodge GAF who buys them, money talks!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Mike Culpepper
Advanced

Oh man, it's just too easy.
Okay, $5000 difference in price 'cause I guess pink ones are more in demand. So the used Viper is now only worth 24K less than new. You are still 14k in the hole compared to a 2006 Corvette.
Let's go ahead and throw in the Z06 while we are at it:
2006 Corvette Z06 base price (IIRC) $66,000:

Asking price for 2 year old Corvette Z06: about $52,000.
So it drops about 14K. Now we are even. Except the Z06 will run off and hide from the Viper on any race track or drag strip anywhere in the world and do it all day long.

But wait, there is also the Viper GTS, new for 1996 with a base price (new) of $73,000. But of course you already knew that.
So once again if we do the math based upon your supposition a GTS is now worth a whopping 36K less than when it was new. Of course the pink ones are only worth 31K less. I bet the base 2006 Corvette runs away from a '96 Viper too.
So what have we learned?

I do not own a Viper.
I do own a Corvette. In it's current dilapidated state it is still worth 4 or 5 times what it cost brand new. No, it is not pink. Most of it is dark green.
I am middle-aged and balding, but at least I am not fat.
Vipers cost more than Corvettes, but they are not as fast.
My self worth is not wrapped up in whether or not I have hair, big bulgy muscles or a Viper.

Some day you will be middled aged and bald, but I will still be right.

Enjoy your car. I really do like them. Just not enough to buy one.

Hey Dave68 you're clueless, too. congratulations.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Culpepper
Oh man, it's just too easy.
Okay, $5000 difference in price 'cause I guess pink ones are more in demand. So the used Viper is now only worth 24K less than new. You are still 14k in the hole compared to a 2006 Corvette.
Let's go ahead and throw in the Z06 while we are at it:
2006 Corvette Z06 base price (IIRC) $66,000:

Asking price for 2 year old Corvette Z06: about $52,000.
So it drops about 14K. Now we are even. Except the Z06 will run off and hide from the Viper on any race track or drag strip anywhere in the world and do it all day long.

But wait, there is also the Viper GTS, new for 1996 with a base price (new) of $73,000. But of course you already knew that.
So once again if we do the math based upon your supposition a GTS is now worth a whopping 36K less than when it was new. Of course the pink ones are only worth 31K less. I bet the base 2006 Corvette runs away from a '96 Viper too.
So what have we learned?

I do not own a Viper.
I do own a Corvette. In it's current dilapidated state it is still worth 4 or 5 times what it cost brand new. No, it is not pink. Most of it is dark green.
I am middle-aged and balding, but at least I am not fat.
Vipers cost more than Corvettes, but they are not as fast.
My self worth is not wrapped up in whether or not I have hair, big bulgy muscles or a Viper.

Some day you will be middled aged and bald, but I will still be right.

Enjoy your car. I really do like them. Just not enough to buy one.

Hey Dave68 you're clueless, too. congratulations.
, go find a 96 gts with low miles, never hit, clean title, excellent shape for 37k find that car for me and I'll buy it, so now a corvette owner(I have had 4 myself) is going to teach a person who actually owns a Viper, about Vipers, and FYI the vette you are describing that you own is in no way the same massed produced corvettes we see on every street corner today.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 09-04-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Mike Culpepper
Advanced

Only if I get a finder's fee. Besides you were the one who claimed '96 Vipers were worth the same as '06 Vettes, not me.
By the way, I agree you don't see a Corvette like mine every day (I do) but they were mass produced. Chevy built 23,774 others in the same year. For the entire 5 year generation they built 119,938. Not exactly a rarity when new. I'd bet that in any one single C2 year, Chevy built almost as many Corvettes as Dodge has built Vipers period. To date anyway.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Culpepper
Only if I get a finder's fee. Besides you were the one who claimed '96 Vipers were worth the same as '06 Vettes, not me.
By the way, I agree you don't see a Corvette like mine every day (I do) but they were mass produced. Chevy built 23,774 others in the same year. For the entire 5 year generation they built 119,938. Not exactly a rarity when new. I'd bet that in any one single C2 year, Chevy built almost as many Corvettes as Dodge has built Vipers period. To date anyway.
Good luck seaching, the car you are looking for doesnt exist for that price. You cannot include your car with the late model corvettes , I am talking about, mid years and crome bumper C3's are true collectors, and my favorite corvettes.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Mike Culpepper
Advanced

Again, I'm not the one who claimed it did exist. Why can't I include my Corvette with later model ones? It is still a Corvette. Well, most of it is. It's not my fault (or GM's) that Dodge didn't begin making Vipers 55 years ago. If we are going to look at the value of a car (used vs. new or whatever) why can we not include all of them?

Oh, look what I just found:
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...r-Repair-Costs

Guess who has the number one spot? Hint: it isn't Corvette.

Hay Dave68; out of curiosity, why did you sell your '68?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

you can buy a nice viper for low 20's now 1/3rd of new price
Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jacks996
LOL. .
Correction. You can buy a piece of **** with a salvage title for maybe upper 20K, that no one would buy unless they were going to rip it down and part it out.

Your clueless.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 PM
FaSSt67
Instructor

Originally Posted by jacks996

Pleas find me a NICE viper for the low 20s so i can buy it.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:33 AM
apriliacati
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FaSSt67
Pleas find me a NICE viper for the low 20s so i can buy it.

Do a search on Craigslist, they are out there.

Before I bought my C5 Zo6, I looked at several Vipers at around 25K, all with just a few thousand miles.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:59 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by apriliacati
Do a search on Craigslist, they are out there.

Before I bought my C5 Zo6, I looked at several Vipers at around 25K, all with just a few thousand miles.

Baloney.
Post up a link to a low mileage no story Viper for low 20's.
A few thousand miles? Like what, 80K....
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Mike Culpepper
Advanced

Hey NytmereZ,

How about a '97 GTS with only 8062 miles on it. Their asking $39,975. I bet you could get it for a bit less. Is that close enough?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/829070353.html

And they said it couldn't be done.

Now about that finder's fee.....
Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 AM
apriliacati
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Baloney.
Post up a link to a low mileage no story Viper for low 20's.
A few thousand miles? Like what, 80K....
The one I looked at was a first year model with 5000 miles, I would have bought it if it wasn't black. This was last year, I have no reason to bull****, and I do LOVE Vipers.

Here is a link to a 95 with 50,000 miles for $23000.

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/825573099.html
Old 05-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Pit Now
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Viper values

I bought 3 brand new Vipers in the past. 1999 2008 and a 2009ACR, Loved the heck out of them (super reliable) and mostly did road racing but they all lost a ton of value right off the lot just like most.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Pit Now
I bought 3 brand new Vipers in the past. 1999 2008 and a 2009ACR, Loved the heck out of them (super reliable) and mostly did road racing but they all lost a ton of value right off the lot just like most.
wow.....talk about an old thread revive, anyway...
well if they did, some of them regained their value, specifically the ACR's...they aren't going for much less than what they sold for new...
Old 05-12-2019, 11:02 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Viper GTS has the sexy curves I wish C7 evolved into. Instead, its designers graduated from the Transformers School of Cartoonish Design.

Get notified of new replies

To Dodge Viper in top 10 cars for holding value

Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 PM
Pit Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
wow.....talk about an old thread revive, anyway...
well if they did, some of them regained their value, specifically the ACR's...they aren't going for much less than what they sold for new...
When I do a search for interests I don't personally care if it was originally posted 20 minutes ago or 20 months ago. The only Vipers that have really held their value for the most part are the 1996 first year coupes, the 1998 GT2 a very limited production car, and the last year production models. BJ and Mecum have recently sold numerous other models for nearly nothing.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Pit Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
Viper GTS has the sexy curves I wish C7 evolved into. Instead, its designers graduated from the Transformers School of Cartoonish Design.

Well stated and very nice picture btw but the Camaro gets the biggest vote for cartoonish! LOL
Old 05-13-2019, 01:04 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

I sat in a new Camaro just for kicks at a dealer recently. It has the blind spot visibility of sitting inside a barn. With no windows.

I'm starting to think that I'll be owning my C5Z for a long time. The next Vette, whenever that might be, could well be backwards in generation. When C5Z's came out, I was just plain wow'd by the bodystyle. Kinda like that GTS.

Originally Posted by Pit Now
Well stated and very nice picture btw but the Camaro gets the biggest vote for cartoonish! LOL

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 05-13-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Viper in top 10 cars for holding value