Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Old LS1 guy buys a GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 119 Posts

Great Review. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Enough about the bike..........keep it on topic.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dying to talk about results from the head to head shoot out. Torque.tv (the producers of Head to Head) just uploaded some more behind the scenes photos that they took..

Since the mods don't like links to StreetFire, here is the photo slide show on my personal Blog.
http://shinkaze.com/2008/09/head-to-...2-photo-shoot/

The COBB tunning GT-R was rather impressive, but they sounded unhappy with the Rim/Tire Combo. They mentioned that they are waiting on some 20" R compound tires, because the 19"s they're using are not optimal for the suspension (Clearance issues)

Torque is realsing the video in a few weeks, and when that comes out I'll give an in depth analysis of what I saw there....perhaps I'l be able to get Sam (the pro driver they used) to pop over here and provide his feedback too. He's a MOPAR guy though so please give him hell if he does ;-)
Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
sort of wish the GT-R had a higher Redline just for the aural pleasure.
HAHA I Laughed
Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

The delivery Experience, just did a full write up here...
http://shinkaze.com/2008/09/2009-nis...rt-1-delivery/
Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Awesome non-biased write up Adam I really like the GT-R, looks cool, performs great and has some of the most impressive electronics to date on a car....... with that said I feel its a bit too invasive based on what I have read. I like a car that require a bit more driver input although I would love to drive one to gauge my own hands on opinion. The GT-R sounds to me like an all around winner for someone who wants a car thats great in a heavy traffic commute and then can be taken right over to a road course or drag strip and put down very respectable numbers with ease.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Awesome non-biased write up Adam I really like the GT-R, looks cool, performs great and has some of the most impressive electronics to date on a car....... with that said I feel its a bit too invasive based on what I have read. I like a car that require a bit more driver input although I would love to drive one to gauge my own hands on opinion. The GT-R sounds to me like an all around winner for someone who wants a car thats great in a heavy traffic commute and then can be taken right over to a road course or drag strip and put down very respectable numbers with ease.
I think that's a fair assessment, it's a very accessible car to drive quickly. The aids are not very intrusive however when they are set right.

For example it's annoying that in Manual mode with shifting set to Standard or Snow, the car will advance to the next gear automatically 500 RPM shy of red line. You have to put shifting into "R" mode if you want to take revs to 7250 RPM and force the shift.

The traction control is interesting too. You can turn it off (Which BTW does NOT void the warranty, that's a common a misconception I can expand on if anyone wants me too). In NORMAL mode the GT-R will REDUCE power to a given wheel, or APPLY brakes to keep the car out of trouble. in "R" Mode, it will APPLY power to a tire with grip to pull the car out of danger. So it accelerates you out of danger. OFF is off obviously.

In total I haven't found the aides to be intrusive like in my M3 so long as Transmission, Suspension and VDC are in the proper mode. The faster you go the more analogue the car gets, and I actually really enjoy how with the VDC in "R" Mode you can actually drift the car and fling it sideways, reminds me of the competition mode in the Z06. Good enough to keep you out of serious danger, but loose enough to let you have fun, and off is still an available option.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Great review and awesome car!!! We should be able to appreciate many different cars and not only Corvettes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Any truth to this little tidbit of info??

Saw this in general section
In this week's AutoWeek (9/22/08 - pg. 22-24) - a guy in Florida orders the new GT-R, but cancels the order when he discovers that the car contains not only a black box to record crash information, but it also contains an electronic data recorder (called a vehicle status data recorder) specifically to CONSTANTLY record data (like wheel and engine speed, acceleration, braking forces, etc.) for the EXPRESS purpose of being reviewed by Nissan when the car comes in for service to determine if a warranty repair should be authorized or not. The owner's manual for the GT-R states this quite clearly but states that this new recorder does not, yet, record sound or images. Nissan's rep confirmed that the new box will, "always [be] running" and that it cannot be deactivated. In Japan, the new GT-R is limited to 112 mph unless the nav system ascertains that the car in on a racetrack, then the computer releases the car's engine to full power. The reins come back on once the car leaves the track! Once they were caught on this, Nissan now says that the box is only to ascertain if a car was "raced" as opposed to being used in a "high-performance situation."
Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

Your on-star will does the same thing. Records it all, it's just not logged in the car.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Great review. Someone brought a stock GT-R to Road Atlanta recently and ran 1:36 in the GA heat, that's FAST!!! It is the real deal, I have a friend that owns one and although I haven't ridden in it yet, he and a few others have driven it and the hype is there for a reason. Also I think it looks very cool in person (not so much in the mags).
Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Hey guys, small update, we're maybe a week or two away from the Track review that Torque did on my car at Willow Springs. here is a Teaser video though.

http://shinkaze.com/2008/10/video-my...-me-at-willow/

PS Edit, and yes that's me interviewing people.....Our real "Talent" couldn't make it so I had to get from out behind the camera......ugh...
Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I wish I could find one at MSRP with no mark-up
Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LowFlight
I wish I could find one at MSRP with no mark-up
The GT-R is the "car of the moment", but I think the buzz will die off here in the next 60 days or so. People are worried about the economy, and things always slow down on dealer lots in November. By January there will be a new "Car of the Moment"...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

The GT-R is the "car of the moment", but I think the buzz will die off here in the next 60 days or so. People are worried about the economy, and things always slow down on dealer lots in November. By January there will be a new "Car of the Moment"...
You may be right but I have been trying to find a friend of mine a GT-R at even a reasonable price and so far no luck. I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago and I went to 2 dealers who sold all theirs for $25k over MSRP and were sold out for their 2010 allocations as well for $15k over. Same in my home town all sold for 2010 and at $10k over. With the current price increase on the GT-R I would have thought dealer mark ups would have come down but for now I don't know if we will see it as soon as you mentioned above. I got mine at MSRP but I ordered it 2 years ago and had the dealer sign a legal agreement for MSRP based on my Z06 experience back when they were over sticker.

BTW can't wait for the article to come out.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I hope you are right. I love my Z06, but my wife can't drive it and misses her M3SMG. It would be a more civilized car for she and I...not just "I"
Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LowFlight
I hope you are right. I love my Z06, but my wife can't drive it and misses her M3SMG. It would be a more civilized car for she and I...not just "I"

Good evaluation!

Owning both cars I can say the GT-R is the better daily driver and especially if you put her in comfort mode. Your wife will like it in Auto mode but you will find yourself pushing the R mode a lot.

I don't think you will find one at MSRP but if you can find one at the pre -price increase price even if it is $15k over then you could look at it like you paid $6-7k over. Not as bad I guess. They are out there if you really want one.

I know they are not going to loose their value as fast as the Z06 which I've watched plummet downward fast. Hey a car isn't an investment
anyway so just have fun with them is the way I look at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Old LS1 guy buys a GT-R

Old 11-13-2008, 03:12 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Adam,
Thanks for the review. I understand not being able to reveal everything yet. I like my C6, but I like a lot of different cars, bikes, trucks, etc.
I spent ten years in Japan and I think Nissan has made tremendous strides in the last ten years in the US.
I would love to check out your car if you have some free time. I've only seen a few on the road and none up close. I'm currently residing in Los Alamitos, California. PM me if that's cool.

San
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

This is hysterical since I think I'm going 180 degrees on my next ride too - just sold my beautiful [modified] Z06 since I wanted a roadster and was just assuming it would be my 5th Vette (C6 Vert). I just really want something FUN and totally different for the weekend and some AX/HPDE action.

Great writeup and very empowering for another ol' school LSx person [me] to try something new!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 AM
belmor
Safety Car

Excellent write up, I work for a Nissan store and we have one in stock that I have driven on a couple of occasions. It is a very imporessive car. We have not sold one yet but this is not a big sports car market.

~B~

Quick Reply: Old LS1 guy buys a GT-R