Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 AM
shinyvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People should stop comparing these 2 cars so specifically head to head.

GTR is an all seasons car with high performance intended for a wide variety of car buyers and weather conditions while the Z06 is performance oriented for the strictest enthusiasts or corvette-specific enthusiasts.

I look at it this way, the Z06 will still have an edge for a seasoned driver on the track while the Toyota Camry and 4wd Subaru Impreza will have an edge for comfort in daily driving.

Now, make a Hybrid GTR to compete with the Prius as well and it'll truly be a car for everyone and everything.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

As long as they can avoid looking at it. It does have the Prius in looks... barely.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For once, a fair and balanced review.

The GT-R has proven itself many times over as world class at this point. Anyone can see that.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Mace
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never have had the to drive either,but I have owned several vettes and currently own a 350z.
I prefer the vette for pure power but my z does handle very well.
Thanks for the review
mace
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so how have they done at track events HPDE? I have not heard much news in the RR section>
Old 08-22-2009, 09:31 PM
RED HAWK
Racer

Just get a Viper ACR and beat them both.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
so how have they done at track events HPDE? I have not heard much news in the RR section>

Hi John

To answer your first question we did bring the GT-R back to Autobahn for the HPDE test and tune at the Redline Time Attack day one event. Our car is putting down a lot more power now than when it was stock and too much for the track with street tires on, it was more like a drift car LOL. We defiantly needed tires that day for sure. It was behaving more like my cam and header Z06 on the street when you punch the throttle on a cold day and the *** end comes out behind you!! It was a fun day anyways. We went there more so to support our sponsor who runs their shop car in the unlimited class.

Our sponsors and our selfs decided to focus more on drag racing the GT-R until this winter when the car goes back to the shop for suspension and brake upgrades along with a roll cage, modified turbos ( quick spool ) for RR and a few other goodies and then the car will be focused on Redline Time Attack. Modified Class

Our goals this season were:

1. To break the Pump gas GT-R qtr mile ET record which we did.

2. To break the MPH qtr mile record still on pump gas which we just recently did.

3. To be the first R35 GT-R in the 9's in the qtr mile....I think with race gas map and a little more boost and she could do it!

4. The car is going to the Texas Mile this Oct to try and break the record of 193mph that the Hennessey GT-R now holds.

Just a little more info: All the other top GT-R's that have posted records of any sorts have ran with more mods on their cars than we have on ours. They ran more boost 22-23 psi....compared to ours which has a conservative tune and we only run 19-19 psi. One of the GT-R's that did hold the MPH record also ran with no exhaust on which gave him more power and dropped his weight a bit as well.

We will be installing a intercooler and a more aggressive tune in a couple of weeks and see if we can better our record and then we will run a race gas map and go for the 9's....wish us luck!!

To me it is a statement of how well our sponsors build a car. In the Vette world they are like a LPE, Katech or Vette Dr's for example and we are very fortunate to have them on our side.

Here are 2 videos of the car as it sits now and the record runs. Oh btw my son and his friend did the videos..22 and 23 yr olds so they put some rock music in there to showcase the car better with the young fellas. I told them to it tone down a bit next time for all us old farts out there

Anyways enjoy:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...the_696085.htm

BTW the reason for the 360 walk around was because the shop that did hold the record tried to accuse us of running NOS or Meth so my son took everything out of the trunk etc to show there was no monkey business going on...We don't play like that. I think they are just sore losers.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/A...430_700953.htm

Hey John hows the dog holding up...ok I hope.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 08-23-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!