Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

It's a funky looking car.... funky = ugly in this case
Old 09-20-2008, 02:01 AM
RENNtech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the entertaining read. . .

JJ
Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

What i find interesting, is when compared to a GT500, the GT-R doesn't have any of the ill-handling traits it exhibits due to its weight. Of course this is because of the already amazing atessa-AWD system that the skyline has always been know for.

(Though, this isn't no R34, that is a TRUE skyline!)

...again, a very well engineered car for the kind of driver that doesn't want to deal with the learning curve of a z06, or a more track oriented car.

Imo, the z06 will walk away from one, stock for stock, though I feel that with the z06's weight advantage, the GT-R is habitually in "catch-up" mode.

Here is a thought, Short-throw, with your track knowledge, do you think this weight disadvantage will cause premature (when compared to a z06) to wear parts when put to the test on a track? I mean, will the brake pads, rotors, suspension bushings, bearings, etc... be at an also disadvantage in the GT-R, with equal track time, when compared to a z06.

Again, i have always liked this car and the technology. I just felt that the hype and fanboys just took it to another level with this car and I just hope it can shed that and be what it is... and what it isn't at the same time. 911 contender, yes... but again a z06, it's outmatched from the showroom... though it can hold its own with all of those fancy gizmo's! (I just would hate to see the bill if you break one of those parts on a track! ouch!!!)

Angel
Old 09-20-2008, 03:25 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

My Experience at Autobahn

First off before I write one word about either car I would like to start out with saying thanks Mike. You are one very special person and you made this week in Chicago for my son and I priceless with your hospitality, assistance and kindness…and add in a little humor to the mix. Anybody that knows you I’m sure would agree with me on that. I and my son also feel we have made a new friend as well with many good times ahead of us. You not only inspired me but also my son in a big way with that heart to heart talk you had with him in the garage and you know what that means to me. OK enough with the mushy stuff.

Autobahn Sunday

I had a blast being chauffeur driven around the track on Sunday by Mike and it was a true surfing safari! I couldn't’t believe how well the GT-R stayed on course in that lake. Let me say Mike is a great driver or should I say a skipper in this case For someone who has never driven a GT-R he sure got the hang of it quick. As Mike noted he wasn’t comfortable bringing the Z06 out on the track in the rain and I don’t blame him I wouldn’t bring mine out either.

Mike was also so kind to invite us to watch a Spec Miata race in the afternoon that was a lot of fun. Those cars plowed through the rain and many ended up sliding off the track and into the grass only to get back on and proceed with the race. They have a unique sound almost like a bunch of bees

Autobahn Wednesday

My son and I had a power point lesson with the track pro that was very informative and then off to the track. Mike took GT-R out for a few laps as he stated. Then the track Pro (IRL Licensed) drove the Z06 and the GT-R with my son Michael along for the ride. The Z06 was first and then the GT-R. I had to laugh when my son got out of the Z06, his first ride of the day on a dry track and he was like OMG what a difference beween a dry track and a dry one. He said dad we got to get some suspension on our Z06 and I agree I love the way Mike’s car handles over my modified Z06. I may make more power and run better times at the drag strip than Mikes car but on a road course I can now appreciate it when someone says why more HP when you can’t even get all the power down to the ground on a stock car on a road course. My car would have probably scared the daylights out of me with more power and less grip.

BTW Mike you know my son and I are now HOOKED! IT"S YOUR FAULT AND YES WE WILL BE BACK!

Autobahn Thursday

This was the best day for me and my son as we finished up the rest of the visual lesson with the pro and then we went for a ride in one of the BNW’ track cars and the pro showed us the lines on the track. Then we got to do a follow along with the GT-R I was first up and we started out with slow laps and he gradually increased speed. It was a blast and he said I did very well which made my day. Next up was Michael and he did well as also. Then I got to take the car out by myself and got even more confident with every lap I made. Came in and asked a few questions and the Pro went out with me and dialed me in even more. My son followed with his time out on the track and the session was over and all I can say is I can’t wait to get back on a track and try out what I learned with my Z06.

I think what Mike wrote as an analogy is pretty spot on as far as the Z06 and GT-R. They are very different cars in so many ways yet both are fun to drive at speed. My son and I were amazed at how many people came up and made positive comments on the GT-R after seeing it on the track and I believe it earned some respect that day form real track car guys including Kevin the track pro. I feel very fortunate to be able to own two remarkable cars IMO. There were many modified cars out on the track that could not keep up with these two cars.

A few worthy mentions

I would like to have gotten some videos of the two cars on the track for all of you but it just didn’t work out for us that way. I think both of these cars have more in them and they were pushed to maybe 8 tenths of there capabilities but we didn’t want any break downs and we wanted to have some fun with this comparison but go home with a complete car. As Mike put it this was a fun day at the track with some guys and their cars and in a way a more “real world test” IMO

Straight line performance is something I and my son know a little more about being drag racers and although we didn’t get a chance to test 0-100 or a Qtr mile test at Autobahn we hope to have some videos of our local shootout at NY International drag strip this week weather permitting that we will add to this post. I think and I say this with confidence if like Mike said someone like a Ranger or Jamie is driving a stock Z06 against a stock GT-R then it is no contest in a drag race Z06 wins every time because the GT-R is not going to run an 11:1 or 11:2 @128mph, BUT and a big BUT if the Z06 driver is just an average driver or asleep at the line or is one of those 12 or even 13 sec drivers that I’ve seen at the drag strip more than a few times the GT-R will win the qtr mile race every time because it is so easy to get a good pass time after time with the GT-R’s trans and clutch set up and the up shifts are lighting quick. I believe based on what I feel in the seat of my pants driving both cars that the GT-R is a mid to high 11 sec car and is in the 120 -124mph range with track, weather and elevation conditions being ideal. My Z06 ran an 11:7 @124.7mph the first time on the drag strip on the 3rd pass back in 07.

From Michaels point of view ridiing in both cars he felt that the Z06 was faster in the straights and the GT-R carried speed through the turns faster and that is why for example both the Z06 and the GT-R saw the same speed at the end of the straights and ultimately ran almost identical times around the course.

Conclusion

Mike summed it up when he said most Z06 buyers are not in the market for a car like a GT-R and it is the Porsche buyer that was Nissan’s target market and a car it better compares to IMO.

I'm open for any questions as Mike said and I"ll do my best to offer an un biased answer since I own both cars and love um both. I hope SW and Hani chime in here as well since they may have a different perspective on this comparison.

Once again thanks Mike for a great time

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 09-20-2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good article. Not slamming the GTR being it must be a great car if you can compare it to the Z06 so favorably, but as for me, I'm single and not too young so I do date women over 35. I would rather show up in a Z06 or even a regular Corvette than in ANY Nissan that includes the GTR, because I know that most women would not know or even care about a GTR or what it is capable of. Almost any women in the world will know what a Vette is and would probably rather be seen in a Vette. In the end, the GTR is still a Nissan, not that it's a bad thing, but it is what it is.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:36 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

These tests were all done on GY's, right? I ask, and not as a blast agains't your attempts of keeping a fun day, well, fun!

But, knowing the GY's shortcomings, can you estimate what would be different if let say the Z06 had a set of stickier, street tires? No Pilot sports, no hoosiers, just something better than the GY's!

Also, sounds like you guys had fun... and that is what counts. You pretty much sumed it up, the GTR is very easy to extract the power and potential out of it... while the Z06 requires a broader learning curve.. and i like that. But something, you just want to go out and have some fun... which the GTR is a good candidate for that as well.

I wouldn't mind owning both... but I couldn't wait to throw two big turbo's at the GTR and see what really happens!

Angel
Old 09-20-2008, 04:12 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scubanme
Good article. Not slamming the GTR being it must be a great car if you can compare it to the Z06 so favorably, but as for me, I'm single and not too young so I do date women over 35. I would rather show up in a Z06 or even a regular Corvette than in ANY Nissan that includes the GTR, because I know that most women would not know or even care about a GTR or what it is capable of. Almost any women in the world will know what a Vette is and would probably rather be seen in a Vette. In the end, the GTR is still a Nissan, not that it's a bad thing, but it is what it is.

Ah Girls, now that is a funny one because I would have thought the exact same thought but we have had more girls comment on this car and in fact we brought it to a car show and a buddy of mine just got a brand new Ferrari F430 and people just walked right by it and surrounded the GT-R. It get's almost an embarrassing amount of attention from all ages. I was telling Mike I can't remember a car like this ever! I mean people stop their cars and turn around and follow, There must be 100's of cell phone pictures of this car as well as people that stop to ask you questions about it. I personally think the Z06 is more of a sexy looking car and in fact more Ferrari like in shape while the GT-R is more like a chiseled body builder on steroids. Hey maybe some girls like that and either works for me.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 09-20-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:21 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by obzidian
These tests were all done on GY's, right? I ask, and not as a blast agains't your attempts of keeping a fun day, well, fun!

But, knowing the GY's shortcomings, can you estimate what would be different if let say the Z06 had a set of stickier, street tires? No Pilot sports, no hoosiers, just something better than the GY's!

Also, sounds like you guys had fun... and that is what counts. You pretty much sumed it up, the GTR is very easy to extract the power and potential out of it... while the Z06 requires a broader learning curve.. and i like that. But something, you just want to go out and have some fun... which the GTR is a good candidate for that as well.

I wouldn't mind owning both... but I couldn't wait to throw two big turbo's at the GTR and see what really happens!

Angel
On the GY"S

Hey did you see what those two TT Z06's ran on the strip. Now were talking.

Nissan insider said they tested this engine to detonation and it blew at 906whp on stock internals. I find that hard to believe but it came from a very reliable source so we will see some modded ones very soon I'm sure.

The pro at Autobahn said he'd like to see what the GT-R would also do with some better tires on it as well. GT-R stock tires are better than GY run flats but they are not a great tire and they squeal around the track a lot.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:28 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks guys for sharing the experience! The GTR is a great car! If I wasn't completely thrilled with my Z06, it might be one of the few cars I would consider to replace it. I like it in white too.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job guys, and very nice non-biased write ups. Sounds like it was a blast, and this should be our most fair comparison to date.

Good job!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:32 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good read Mike. We're pretty lucky to have so many choices now for cars that are street legal and can go right to the road course. I remember when there were basically just Porsches and BMWs. Hopefully we're not at the peak of this cycle.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
Thanks guys for sharing the experience! The GTR is a great car! If I wasn't completely thrilled with my Z06, it might be one of the few cars I would consider to replace it. I like it in white too.
That is what I felt but I wasn't sure when I ordered it 2 years ago but the car delivered and I'm glad I don't have to make a choice between the two cars because that would be very difficult at this point. I like white and black on the GT-R and I'm considering painting the Grey under panels white to match the car. I have seen pictures of a few of them now and I think they look even better. I'll try and post one.

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Great job guys, and very nice non-biased write ups. Sounds like it was a blast, and this should be our most fair comparison to date.

Good job!
Thanks Everett

Mike and I tried to keep it as non biased as possible and hopefully it will stay that way so we can keep updating it.

I was hoping to meet you at the Katech track attack back a bit but I couldn't make it due to a business situation. Hopefully next year as I have plans for sure to attend.

Frank

Originally Posted by mcar00
Good read Mike. We're pretty lucky to have so many choices now for cars that are street legal and can go right to the road course. I remember when there were basically just Porsches and BMWs. Hopefully we're not at the peak of this cycle.

As far as cars go, we live in a great time with so many choices. We can only hope it stays that way for a long time.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 09-20-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Great write up - seems very fair.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

As usual, great writeup Mike. And a great time playing with the cars and that's what it is all about. Not which or who is best!!!!!!!!! JD
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great job with the write up Mike.

I must admit that I have to give the GT-R a bit more respect. But I still think it looks like ***.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Very good unbiased write-ups from both and thanks. Coming from a little 350Z, I've had no doubt as to how the highly tauted GT-R would handle. And as I may not like all of it's aesthetics, I don't dislike it. I might add that I don't like 100% of any car either. I'd like to drive one as well, but I will say that while it may be fast, I don't care so much for a smoother and quieter ride in any car. While it may be technically as quick, the lack of exhaust note and some degree of "road feel" may not float my boat. I wouldn't know until I could drive one. Those are just a couple of things that grab me about the Z06.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a thought, Short-throw, with your track knowledge, do you think this weight disadvantage will cause premature (when compared to a z06) to wear parts when put to the test on a track? I mean, will the brake pads, rotors, suspension bushings, bearings, etc... be at an also disadvantage in the GT-R, with equal track time, when compared to a z06.

Angel
Angel.

I haven't reviewed the suspension component setup on the GT-R. I am currently unaware of what it consists of.

The Brembo rotors are floating unlike the Z06's. The GT-Rs brakes are very good with great modulation. I think the even pad wear will help with life longevity. The weight will definitely make the car work harder and most of the grunt will be taken out on the tires.

Get notified of new replies

To I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes,

The plan was to run different tires that I had mounted and ready to go after the Goodyears were run, but there simply wasn't time. A tire like a PS2 would shave 2-3 seconds. Fresh EMTs would have shaved 1-2 seconds.
Also, more seat time in the GT-R would likely shave another second.

Again the real difference I feel was the rubber.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Epik
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the comparison. Hope to see many more.

Interesting post about the Vette being the better choice for women. It's a good performance car but for dates it's a bit tacky isn't it? I'd think the GTR would win hands down in that respect.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are a few more pics!

Mike

Quick Reply: I drove the Z06 and GT-R on track. I think many questions can now be answered. PICS!