Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

ZR1 Nurburgring Record, Will it be beaten!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
It's always some excuse........
Yep, just an excuse to crank the boost a bit.......wouldn't surprise me to see them nip the ZR1 time. Who is actuallly watching over what Nissan is doing?

GM should just run the C6R on the ring and say.....see C6 can run a 6.xx time with a "few" tweaks.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:28 PM
stanklr
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I bet that the record of the ZR1 will be beaten shortly.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:32 PM
stanklr
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
later breaking and early accelerating out a corner. all due to awesome handling

Seriously the more I read about this car the more i like...
Gotta love Japanese engineering in their Sport cars
Old 04-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Well on paper the ZR1, and Z06 should be better in the braking department, but in the real world it doesnt work out. Same in the handling. I dont undertand I guess. Do the computers on the GTR make that big of a differance?

To me when you compare the GTR to the ZR1. Its like comparing my Evo 9 to a my C5 ZO6. I know from real world experiance that my Evo was no where near as fast around the track as my C5Z. Yet when you read all the rags, and such. They make them seem a lot closer in performace than they realy are. Now I know this is apples and oranges, but its the best analogy I can come up with right now.

Dont get me wrong here. I am not saying I think the GTR times are fake, or that the GTR cant run what they say. I guess I need more of an explanation than it just simply brakes, and handles better.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zee Freak
I just dont get it. How does the GTR defy the laws of physics?
Its a lot heavier, and has a lot less hp. So does really it brake, and corner that much better?
Something doesn’t add up, but the ZR1 doesn’t quite add up to me either; it should be better than it is (just imo). It will take people like SW who own both to tell us the real truth between the cars.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Originally Posted by GForceSS
Something doesn’t add up, but the ZR1 doesn’t quite add up to me either; it should be better than it is (just imo). It will take people like SW who own both to tell us the real truth between the cars.
I agree.

I am waiting for it to show up at some SCCA national solo events, drivin by a top driver. I'm real curious to see how it goes there.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

who really cares how fast the gtr is, park it side by side to a zr1 or any c5 or c6, which one would you choose?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM
monaroCountry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
It's always some excuse........
The first couple of times it was the dampness, then it was wet patches and then dust. Nissan spends couple of months testing around the track with the aim of getting the best time, this is far better than most manufacturers like the Viper crew who only spent a couple of hours.

Firstly the ZR1 has a far better breaking distance compared to the GTR, the ZR1 also achieves a far higher G's than the GTR. The ZR1 is also lighter, has more power and has far better torque than the GTR.

Who in their right mind would actually believe that a stock GTR has a chance of beating an Enzo and a Zonda with a measly 480hp and 3800lbs in fat?

That really doesnt make sense but whatever floats your boat. how is this cheating plz explain, i missed that in the article, they are letting anyone look at the car they tested with, arnt they?
This car wasnt bought on the showroom and tested, this car was rigorously prepared by Nissan and tested. People can only look but not do tests. Its very easy to turn up the boost to 18psi and configure the ECU to run more aggressively and call it stock, gawkers would be none the wiser.

Nissan has a history of using ringers around the ring. The previous sub 8 minute GTR R33 was some 30 sec slower when driven independently and no publications has ever gotten close to Nissan's time (except for the very suspect Japanese Best Auto). Currently no other publications has gotten anywhere near close to the R35 time, all of them have been in the 7:45-7:56 range.

Look at the picture below, where are the people from Porsche, where are the Chev people, where are the Ferrari or the Viper guys? From the looks of it those that made it to the event were only Nissan guys.

From Automobilemag, a STOCK GTR is simply way too heavy and lack power to compete with the big boys - LIKE THE ACR, Porsche CGT, Enzo, Zonda and even the ZR1.
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...to_60_mph.html

For me, the result was a forgone conclusion. The moment you feel how physically fast the GT2 is, you can't believe that the GT-R could possibly beat it. Of course, the GT-R doesn't acknowledge the usual formalities of science and somehow got itself to within seven seconds of the Porsche's time. The final scores are: Porsche, 7 minutes, 49 seconds; Nissan, 7 minutes, 56 seconds. There is no doubt in my mind that the Porsche will go substantially faster, given a drier track and some time to build confidence on the really hairy parts of the circuit.

The GT-R is an immense achievement - it costs more than $100,000 less than the Porsche, and it has four seats and an automatic gearbox. But even with those sticky Dunlops, it's hard to see where Nissan could have shaved an extra 25 seconds. We wouldn't want to detract from Nissan's achievement with this car, but it should be acknowledged that on the same day, with the same driver, the GT2 was the faster car.

Last edited by monaroCountry; 04-16-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:07 PM
gp900bj
Advanced

thats not the retry i believe, they are going to retry after today, they already were only a sec and change off the ZR1, the new retry after apr 16th's run is what they are talking about

I believe ZR1 can beat the ACR's time as well , but we will probably never know..
They are having some pretty bad luck with conditions.

On their first day, the 15th, there was an incident with a Porsche (possibly an oil spill) which made the track redundant as far time attack is concerned. They could only make their attempt much later in the day and plenty of sand was still on the track.

They decided to try again on the 16th and it rained!

They still have a few sessions booked for the Spec-V later this month so they will have to cram both attempts in a short period of time.

Representatives from Porsche AG as well as other manufacturers and the press were there to verify the 7:27.56 lap measurement and inspect the car.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
monaroCountry
Pro

Originally Posted by gp900bj
They are having some pretty bad luck with conditions.

On their first day, the 15th, there was an incident with a Porsche (possibly an oil spill) which made the track redundant as far time attack is concerned. They could only make their attempt much later in the day and plenty of sand was still on the track.

They decided to try again on the 16th and it rained!

They still have a few sessions booked for the Spec-V later this month so they will have to cram both attempts in a short period of time.

Representatives from Porsche AG as well as other manufacturers and the press were there to verify the 7:27.56 lap measurement and inspect the car.

How were the cars inspected? Looked at the tyres only or did they dyno and take the car apart to check? Ive always maintained along with several others that it would not b the tyres but engine/boost mods. Chris Harris who is an experienced racer around the Nurburgring has driven both cars around the track on the same day, he found that the GTR was substantially slower than the GT2 on straights and that the lack of power was the issue.

I still cant see any Porsche dyno/testing equipment or anyone important from Porsche and other manufacturers, where is Walter Röhrl, Jan Magnussen or Michael Schumacher? Maybe Jan and Michael could *** whop Mr. Suzuki like the good old F1 days.

Last edited by monaroCountry; 04-16-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
gp900bj
Advanced

Originally Posted by monaroCountry
How were the cars inspected? Looked at the tyres only or did they dyno and take the car apart to check? Ive always maintained along with several others that it would not b the tyres but engine/boost mods. Chris Harris who is an experienced racer around the Nurburgring has driven both cars around the track on the same day, he found that the GTR was substantially slower than the GT2 on straights and that the lack of power was the issue.

I still cant see any Porsche dyno/testing equipment or anyone important from Porsche and other manufacturers, where is Walter Röhrl, Jan Magnussen or Michael Schumacher? Maybe Jan and Michael could *** whop Mr. Suzuki like the good old F1 days.
Hahhhhaa. You must be finding all of this quite hard to deal with MC. Just take a breath and relax.

There is plenty of time left for you to hate on the car. I see you've already started to direct your hate at the driver.

So if Suzuki is as **** as you say he is, do you think Magnussen might be able to drop a few seconds on the 7:27?

XOXOX

GP
Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

i say get both cars there the same day. Get your two top driver that you want and dyno the cars right before and immediatly after. Cross the line and then back it up on the dyno and settle this for once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
monaroCountry
Pro

There is plenty of time left for you to hate on the car. I see you've already started to direct your hate at the driver.

So if Suzuki is as **** as you say he is, do you think Magnussen might be able to drop a few seconds on the 7:27?

XOXOX

GP
Ive always wondered how no other driver can achieve a similar time, even those highly regarded successful Ring pilots. Nissan has advised Porsche that its driver cant pilot the GTR quite like Suzuki, this might be so but what makes Mr. Suzuki such a better driver than everyone else? he certainly didnt show this skill in his 2 race F1 career.

Look at Jan's F1 career and compare it to Suzuki. Jan might even bring the lap down to 7:15................however this is never going to happen on a stock car.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

The GT-R weighs 600lbs more than the ZR1, has 158 less horsepower. Anyone with any kind of technical or engineering background who thinks Nissan isn't running ringers is a fool.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Ive always wondered how no other driver can achieve a similar time, even those highly regarded successful Ring pilots. Nissan has advised Porsche that its driver cant pilot the GTR quite like Suzuki, this might be so but what makes Mr. Suzuki such a better driver than everyone else? he certainly didnt show this skill in his 2 race F1 career.

Look at Jan's F1 career and compare it to Suzuki. Jan might even bring the lap down to 7:15................however this is never going to happen on a stock car.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/news.html
The car used was a standard European spec car running standard tyres. The new time was achieved at the end of a long day of testing and the start was delayed by an accident. As well as Nissan present representatives of other car manufacturers were also there to witness the time and also the specification of the car used. Nobody from one of the German based manufacturers was available for comment!
Love the last line
Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Originally Posted by vette friend
The GT-R weighs 600lbs more than the ZR1, has 158 less horsepower. Anyone with any kind of technical or engineering background who thinks Nissan isn't running ringers is a fool.
yes everyone is a fool but you..
Old 04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
sampson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by crwtrans
The car used was a standard European spec car running standard tyres. The new time was achieved at the end of a long day of testing and the start was delayed by an accident. As well as Nissan present representatives of other car manufacturers were also there to witness the time and also the specification of the car used. Nobody from one of the German based manufacturers was available for comment!
Love the last line
Why should they even bother? As far as they are concerned it is a dead issue. Nissan continues to boast bogus claims on their wonder car and nobody is feeding into it except the fanboi dreamers and magazines that gain from their advertising dollars.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Nurburgring Record, Will it be beaten!!?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vettesplus
who really cares how fast the gtr is, park it side by side to a zr1 or any c5 or c6, which one would you choose?
Are you sure you want to hear the answer?
Compared to a C-5 or C-6??
Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
KILR-RYD
Drifting

Originally Posted by sampson
Why should they even bother? As far as they are concerned it is a dead issue. Nissan continues to boast bogus claims on their wonder car and nobody is feeding into it except the fanboi dreamers and magazines that gain from their advertising dollars.
well it was porsche that took the GT-R to the track and couldnt even get what nissan managed and then blamed nissan for sending ringers or outright lying. hence this response from nissan.

So i would say check your facts before writing. at the same time. I am no fanboi but even i know the capabilities of the GT-R, several people on this board have driven this car and know what a monster it is. Only the fanbois on this and porsche side that are crying foul..
Old 04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
f355c5
Instructor

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Are you sure you want to hear the answer?
Compared to a C-5 or C-6??
Give me the GT-R --Sorry

Quick Reply: ZR1 Nurburgring Record, Will it be beaten!!?