Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

How does Porsche test a engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How does Porsche test a engine?

Would LS7's be failing if GM would have tested like this? Pretty impressive if you ask me!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuleS9rnzc
Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. F'n cool.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
beden1
Drifting

I don't think many LS7's are failing, and I'm sure Chevy tests the design of their motors as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche has had more than their share of failed engines. I was at Pocono three weeks ago while PCA was there running an HPDE in the North track. In two days three cars went home with busted engines. Maybe Porsche forgot to test those???

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 PM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

That's pretty cool The LS7 engines are tested, but not like that. I forget the exact procedure, but if you check out the "Who built your engine" sticky, the process is explained. Which page is it on? Dunno. It's a huge thread.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

That Porsche test is cool!

The GM test was pretty cool, something like peak torque rpm to peak hp rpm and back, repeat for 24 hrs, then cold water shock tests, stuff like that.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default not sure what you're implying?!

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Porsche has had more than their share of failed engines. I was at Pocono three weeks ago while PCA was there running an HPDE in the North track. In two days three cars went home with busted engines. Maybe Porsche forgot to test those???

Frank Gonzalez
But I'm going to stick my neck out here now by saying Porsche just as any manufacturer has their share of blown motor but Chevy/Corvette will have a lot more! I love my z. But just like most things out there, you get what you pay for.

Don't hate. Give credit where credit is due. Porche's quality (especially engines) has always been second to none. They've always done more with the least!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

All I know is the 3.6-3.8TT Porsche motors used from 02-09 are very strong. Titan motorsports, Switzer, EVOMS, etc etc have routinely pushed 700whp out of stock motors all day long.

I guess I get erked as to why my 7.0L engine can't handle 700whp all day long.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by 1stZ
But I'm going to stick my neck out here now by saying Porsche just as any manufacturer has their share of blown motor but Chevy/Corvette will have a lot more! I love my z. But just like most things out there, you get what you pay for.

Don't hate. Give credit where credit is due. Porche's quality (especially engines) has always been second to none. They've always done more with the least!

A lot more? How can you say that? Maybe they are good and I just haven't seen it but I do not know of many high mileage, high performance Porches.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I am surprized your LS-7 motor was not tested that way. I think mine was!

You should have purchased a Porsche!

Jim
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
evo8 MR
Racer

Originally Posted by jasil
would ls7's be failing if gm would have tested like this? Pretty impressive if you ask me!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfules9rnzc
wow.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj

Frank Gonzalez
How many passed you Frank?

Jim
Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Live2Redline
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jgaches
A lot more? How can you say that? Maybe they are good and I just haven't seen it but I do not know of many high mileage, high performance Porches.
Pay for what you get? You must be kidding. What about a Ferrari OMG...you pay how much for it and you cant even drive it. I don’t think I have ever seen one with 50k miles on it. And dont forget every 7K miles pull the engine and change the timing belts at a cost of about 6K.

Im sure all the manufacturers do it, but I was in Germany at Porsche's motorsport center 3 years ago. I spent 2 months helping build a factory race car. While I was there they had a C6 Corvette they were putting through the paces, and wondering what made it tick. And how could it perform so well, yet cost so little. Porsche’s have plenty of problems trust me. If you don’t think they do, go buy one and find out for yourself.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by jgaches
I don't have an exact figure. I'm simply speaking from my own experienced & other friends/car enthusiast that I've met in the track & their experiences. Simply stated, I got started tracking my 996tt back in '04. On my p-car I learned a lot & a lot of them by mistakes (driver mistakes). Lots of mis-shift, etc... But all I did with car (aside from usual p-car mods, slicks, suspention, aggressive pads, etc..) all I had done is to make sure there's enough pads, oil & tires. Track that car & dd as well full time. I've had my z now for almost 3 years (mostly track cuz now have another car for dd, as of now, I'm on my 2nd motor. That said, I like the z's performance & continue to run her.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by 1stZ
I don't have an exact figure. I'm simply speaking from my own experienced & other friends/car enthusiast that I've met in the track & their experiences. Simply stated, I got started tracking my 996tt back in '04. On my p-car I learned a lot & a lot of them by mistakes (driver mistakes). Lots of mis-shift, etc... But all I did with car (aside from usual p-car mods, slicks, suspention, aggressive pads, etc..) all I had done is to make sure there's enough pads, oil & tires. Track that car & dd as well full time. I've had my z now for almost 3 years (mostly track cuz now have another car for dd, as of now, I'm on my 2nd motor. That said, I like the z's performance & continue to run her.
Well, I can't argue that point. On your second motor, not good stat at all........
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
1stZ
Drifting

I've had a p-car so I know first hand. I won't comment on Ferrari cuz I've yet to own one. But a pcar I stand behind my comments. Yes, you get what you pay for! Remember people have different criteria of focus when spend their $$$$.

Last edited by 1stZ; 06-03-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

I have friend whose 2004 Boxster S engine took a dump when a camshaft snapped while motoring at 35 mph in city traffic. This guy drives the car probably < 1500 miles/year and never on the track. So, every manufacturer has it's problems.

I think Porsches are very well engineered cars and I seriously considered a new Cayman S when I sold my C5, but went with the C6Z06. The power is intoxicating!

Get notified of new replies

To How does Porsche test a engine?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluemagoo
I have friend whose 2004 Boxster S engine took a dump when a camshaft snapped while motoring at 35 mph in city traffic. This guy drives the car probably < 1500 miles/year and never on the track. So, every manufacturer has it's problems.

I think Porsches are very well engineered cars and I seriously considered a new Cayman S when I sold my C5, but went with the C6Z06. The power is intoxicating!

Exactly why I ended up trading my 996TT in for a DD. I never really understood the saying "no replacement for displacment" until after owning the Z.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't 911's have major engine problems throughout the 90's? Plus, almost every one of them leaked oil. So they haven't ALWAYS been second to none.

And 700hp all day long from the Porsche? Maybe because it's physically 50% LARGER and 30% heavier than an LS7. Yes, I like to get what I pay for, I'd prefer to pay for lightweight and more performance per pound.

And let's talk about the number of LS7's blown up at the tracks vs. Porsches. How many P cars are ON the track vs. how many Corvettes? I'll bet there are 10 times as many Corvettes being driven on the tracks plus drag strip duties. So it only makes sense that you would hear about more failures in Corvettes.

Porsche makes a fine car, but I don't think you can compare what you get for the money. Take an equal price P car and compare it to any Corvette. It's a joke.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Default I respectfully disagree

If I may, I respectfully disagree. That said, I respect your opinion. Most of us speaks from experiences. From out experience, we come up with our opinion. Absolutlely nothing wrong with that. So if I may, I'd like to just say let's agree that we disagree with regards to this particular subject. I'm not a brand fan but a "car enthusiast. I happen to like both cars. That said, by ther #'s, there will always be more Chevy/Vettes. There are simply more Vettes out there than a Porsche/911. That's is both good & bad (i.e., more wins & failures). Although, most of those wins are Nascar.

Originally Posted by robvuk
Didn't 911's have major engine problems throughout the 90's? Plus, almost every one of them leaked oil. So they haven't ALWAYS been second to none.

And 700hp all day long from the Porsche? Maybe because it's physically 50% LARGER and 30% heavier than an LS7. Yes, I like to get what I pay for, I'd prefer to pay for lightweight and more performance per pound.

And let's talk about the number of LS7's blown up at the tracks vs. Porsches. How many P cars are ON the track vs. how many Corvettes? I'll bet there are 10 times as many Corvettes being driven on the tracks plus drag strip duties. So it only makes sense that you would hear about more failures in Corvettes.

Porsche makes a fine car, but I don't think you can compare what you get for the money. Take an equal price P car and compare it to any Corvette. It's a joke.

Last edited by 1stZ; 06-03-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: How does Porsche test a engine?