Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow...I've been reading some really ignorant and downright nasty posts in this thread. Sometimes I get embarrassed being a Corvette owner, when I see open forum opinions like these.

I feel fortunate to be driving an '09 ZO6, and I've owned many great cars in my day, including European and Asian varieties, along with American cars. I also have owned/own a number of boats...and I've never put anyone down for whatever car or boat they enjoy, or can afford.

I bought my son an '04 WRX that he's been driving during high school and now in college. The car has been bullet proof for now over 53,000 miles, and we hope it remains that way until he earns his masters degree.

I've driven his car on many occasions, and have helped him to modify it a bit. I have to say, that his car is a lot of fun to drive, and has capabilities in the handling department that keeps up with my Z. It's also affordable to maintain and modify, just like the Vette.

Comparing this car to a Vega or Pinto is just pure ignorant crap.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:19 AM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
Wow...I've been reading some really ignorant and downright nasty posts in this thread. Sometimes I get embarrassed being a Corvette owner, when I see open forum opinions like these.

I feel fortunate to be driving an '09 ZO6, and I've owned many great cars in my day, including European and Asian varieties, along with American cars. I also have owned/own a number of boats...and I've never put anyone down for whatever car or boat they enjoy, or can afford.

I bought my son an '04 WRX that he's been driving during high school and now in college. The car has been bullet proof for now over 53,000 miles, and we hope it remains that way until he earns his masters degree.

I've driven his car on many occasions, and have helped him to modify it a bit. I have to say, that his car is a lot of fun to drive, and has capabilities in the handling department that keeps up with my Z. It's also affordable to maintain and modify, just like the Vette.

Thank you for that.

The Vette is a much better looking and fun car to drive. However, as you've said the WRX is quite fun to drive. I also mentioned before how forgiving the car is. Sending someone new to performance driving to the track in a Vette or other pure sports car is almost an excercise in futility. The WRX allowed me to make many laps of road and autox courses and really learn the science and skill behind driving a car at the limit. Now I can really enjoy my Vette in a safe manner and get the most out of it.

The WRX should continue to hold up quite well for your son. Mine has a few more miles than your sons and still no hiccups. I know a few guys manage to make it over 100k on the stock turbo and clutch.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
SRTstyle
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Some guys have this theory if your a car guy you must like all cars.
If however, you can find where it is written that a car guy must like every car please send me the link. Or where it is written that everyone must agree with you on which cars you like.

You're the one that brought up this theory, why would you expect someone else to find proof to support it?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRTstyle

You're the one that brought up this theory, why would you expect someone else to find proof to support it?
Great point thanks. Just tired of a few members who have this belief car guys must like all cars and especially a car they drive or like. Some of these guys get all bent out of shape if you do not like a certain car. If you do not like the WRX for example. You are ignorant and know nothing about cars. Never mind others have a opinion and think it is a bland or ugly little car that anyone can dump some money in and make it fast. Often these are the guys that are the first to jump on the Vette and criticize the car and its drivers.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
FastEddie09C6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I just LOVE my corvette....we italians always say..."to each his own" and im a firm believer in that
Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great point thanks. Just tired of a few members who have this belief car guys must like all cars and especially a car they drive or like. Some of these guys get all bent out of shape if you do not like a certain car. If you do not like the WRX for example. You are ignorant and know nothing about cars. Never mind others have a opinion and think it is a bland or ugly little car that anyone can dump some money in and make it fast. Often these are the guys that are the first to jump on the Vette and criticize the car and its drivers.
It's interesting, but I can't remember the last time I've read anyone with a Subaru come to this forum and bash the Corvette. When I ask questions over at the WRX/STi forum about doing something for my son's car (and, they know I have my ZO6), the participants there always tell me how much they appreciate my car.

I also appreciate how much these guys/girls have learned about cars in general, and how much they are able to accomplish in performance gains, with their limited budgets and using their own acquired skills.

They also focus on helping each other on their own cars, and I can't remember reading posts where anyone bashed other cars.

I personally happen to have a preference for my ZO6, but I can appreciate other cars that have a large following of avid enthusiasts.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Thanks to all the members of this forum that state opinions without making an attempt to insult other users. You are the car owners that make it nice to have joined the Vette family. Too bad every family seems to have that annoying cousin.

Corvette and Subaru owner for life.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Licit
New WRX STi's are in the upper $30K's these days and after dropping $1000's in mods they are in base vette territory anyway so I don't see the performance bargain anywhere considering the looks and it's a friggin wagon. I know some are talking about the WRX and I can see that being a better deal. I agree AWD is great, for my wife's car and for my third car, but it doesn't come close to the pleasure of driving a high hp rwd car. For those that it does I can only guess they aren't very good/experienced at driving rwd to it's limits.
Yeah the recent price increases have hurt the appeal a bit. The current WRX and STI have added more features but gotten heavier and have been softened up in an effort to broaden their appeal. For those who live in poor climates though and only want or can only afford one car they still are the best all around sporty cars you can get. Can't really take the Vette out in a couple inches of snow.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

It's interesting, but I can't remember the last time I've read anyone with a Subaru come to this forum and bash the Corvette. When I ask questions over at the WRX/STi forum about doing something for my son's car (and, they know I have my ZO6), the participants there always tell me how much they appreciate my car.

I also appreciate how much these guys/girls have learned about cars in general, and how much they are able to accomplish in performance gains, with their limited budgets and using their own acquired skills.

They also focus on helping each other on their own cars, and I can't remember reading posts where anyone bashed other cars.

I personally happen to have a preference for my ZO6, but I can appreciate other cars that have a large following of avid enthusiasts.
So both the Subaru and Vette forum member should all agree that both the Vette and the WRX are great cars and if you criticize either you are ignorant then?

Listen, I'm a car guy and I like cars. However, it is still America and as of now I'm allowed a opinion. To me the WRX is a ugly little car that anyone can put some money into it and make it fast. I was just on the WRX site to see if I somehow missed something. I have to say. And I'm sorry I cannot lie. That is one ugly car.

My point has always been. Anyone can basically take any car and make it fast. As I pointed out before. It is similar as back in the 70's guys made Hot Rods out of Pinto's and Vega's. Ugly small cars made fast. No big difference.

When you and Mike start up your very own forum make a list at which cars members must like and can criticize and which ones members cannot let us all know. Until then I think the WRX is a very ugly, bland little car. Keep us posted on when you start your forum and make sure you post the rules.

Note: I appreciate many cars. Yet I appreciate the cars I like which most people do. In your world I guess we should appreciate the Yugo then.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-22-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
Thanks to all the members of this forum that state opinions without making an attempt to insult other users. You are the car owners that make it nice to have joined the Vette family. Too bad every family seems to have that annoying cousin.

Corvette and Subaru owner for life.
You like your little Subaru and I do not. As pointed out earlier. Find where it states someone must agree with LS3Mike on this forum about every car?

It is still America and we are still allowed opinions. You have voiced yours quite well. Your opinion is that I'm ignorant because I think the WRX is ugly and bland. My opinion is that the WRX is ugly and bland.

You are so sensitive about this car and I'm sorry about that. However, at the risk of hurting your feelings I still feel free to voice my opinion.

Again. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

The need to brag is just pure ignorant crap.

Owned many cars including European and German. Boats, Bought son a WRX, in College, Masters degree, and 09 ZO6 all in one post.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Where it is insulting to compare the WRX to the pinto or vega is in the aspect of engineering. The WRX is a car designed by a superior set of engineers to be fast, bulletproof, and economical out of the box. Chevrolet engineers have been doing quite well with the Vette for a number of years but until the most recent Cobalt SS they failed at turning out a great performance bargain.

The pinto and vega were poorly engineered knee jerk reactions by detroit when they realized that the foreign manufacturers were gobbling up chunks of their market everyday. It doesn't take a mechanical engineering degree (such as mine) to understand that. However, it does take a certain level of intelligence to understand these differences.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Where it is insulting to compare the WRX to the pinto or vega is in the aspect of engineering. The WRX is a car designed by a superior set of engineers to be fast, bulletproof, and economical out of the box. Chevrolet engineers have been doing quite well with the Vette for a number of years but until the most recent Cobalt SS they failed at turning out a great performance bargain.

The pinto and vega were poorly engineered knee jerk reactions by detroit when they realized that the foreign manufacturers were gobbling up chunks of their market everyday. It doesn't take a mechanical engineering degree (such as mine) to understand that. However, it does take a certain level of intelligence to understand these differences.
Here we go with the Chevy and American car bashing. That did not take long. And another guy that feels the need to tell us about a degree. My GOD when do you guys stop bragging?

One other note you should be able to pickup with your degree and all. It was not a direct comparison of the Vega or Pinto. You will notice I added the back in the 70's point. I would hope with your degree you would be smart enough to realize the difference in technology from 1973 to 2009. The point was they are all ugly little cars that guys now and back in the 70's made faster. That is all. Someone with your degree should be able to see the clear yet subtle difference.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-22-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 PM
FastEddie09C6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

this sounds just like a mets fan and yankees fan arguing LOL i need a winter car and after having an intelligent convo with a wrx owner i might consider it for my winter car.......granted i LOVE my Corvette but im not risking it in the snow and although i dont LOVE the wrx if it performs what i need it to do and i can get a good price then hey.....whats the big deal lol
I also love cars and have my opinons and there are PLENTY of arrogant ricer owners.....i can appreciate a car and i also agree that speed and good looks are a must IMHO

Happy Cruising!!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

I'm a student naval aviator. I never stop bragging.

And yes I was American car bashing but solely because some of it has been deserved. However, within the past few years I have recommended more American cars to friends than foreign ones. The general has been turning out many well engineered quality products recently. Its just ashame that many Americans haven't paid attention.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

I'm a student naval aviator. I never stop bragging.

And yes I was American car bashing but solely because some of it has been deserved. However, within the past few years I have recommended more American cars to friends than foreign ones. The general has been turning out many well engineered quality products recently. Its just ashame that many Americans haven't paid attention.
This is usualy what you guys do. We have heard it all before. America sucks, American cars suck, we are behind, Japan makes the best cars la de da. The same old song and dance. The forum has a few members like you.

Very typical. You dare say something about a car from Japan and the tables get turned on American car companies.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:49 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by FastEddie09C6
this sounds just like a mets fan and yankees fan arguing LOL i need a winter car and after having an intelligent convo with a wrx owner i might consider it for my winter car.......granted i LOVE my Corvette but im not risking it in the snow and although i dont LOVE the wrx if it performs what i need it to do and i can get a good price then hey.....whats the big deal lol
I also love cars and have my opinons and there are PLENTY of arrogant ricer owners.....i can appreciate a car and i also agree that speed and good looks are a must IMHO

Happy Cruising!!
There is arrogance in the asian car ranks as well. Stupid fast and furious movies made sure of that. I tried to educated my comrades over in that community in the same way I'm making posts now. Just be warned that if you buy the WRX as a winter car you may be forced to deal with phone calls when the snow starts falling. Living in Pittsburgh my roomate had an AWD BMW. When the snow started falling we always were asked "So when are the BMW and Subaru going out to play?"

Last edited by LS3 Mike; 06-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner

Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

IBTL

But, while we're stil open for business....

With time, money and effort, one can make a STI absolutely rip.

A friend of mine has a stock interior and stock looking STi that runs nicely in the 10's at right around 130mph.

Last year we went to the strip and we lined up with my bone stock LS2. The marshall waved him off the lights because there was a little something hanging down under his bumper.

So to this day I tell him I beat him due to his DNF (and of course refuse to run him again because of course I will lose)
Old 06-22-2009, 12:56 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

This is usualy what you guys do. We have heard it all before. America sucks, American cars suck, we are behind, Japan makes the best cars la de da. The same old song and dance. The forum has a few members like you.

Very typical. You dare say something about a car from Japan and the tables get turned on American car companies.
Rest assured I'm not that guy. We used to be behind which is one reason we are out of money. (Mismanagement is another.) American car companies have been turning out some stellar products in all the market segments within the past few years. Unfortunately, the general car buying public hasn't seemed to take notice.

And actually American car companies have never really been behind as far as engineering and manufacturing prowess goes. Unfortunately, many skilled engineers have had their legs cut out from under them by corporate bean counters. This resulted in many products that just couldn't match their foreign competitors.

I really hope the restructuring goes well for GM because I think they are now at the level where they can start grabbing back chunks of the market. Time will tell.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

There is arrogance in the *** car ranks as well. Stupid fast and furious movies made sure of that. I tried to educated my comrades over in that community in the same way I'm making posts now. Just be warned that if you buy the WRX as a winter car you may be forced to deal with phone calls when the snow starts falling. Living in Pittsburgh my roomate had an AWD BMW. When the snow started falling we always were asked "So when are the BMW and Subaru going out to play?"
Someone else hurt your feelings?

By the way after bashing America and her comapnies throwing up the flag to cover it don't cut it sport.

Quick Reply: Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner