Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 PM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner

I went to the gas station and I have my ID's on base hanging from my Redskins neck strap. We talk inside for a few seconds being that he's a Skins fan also. So I go outside and he makes a comment...

Him - "Oh, Redskins fan with a nice car"
Me - " (chuckle) thanks man"
Him - "I bet it could take it"
Me - "Oh yea, what do you have done to it.."
(the mods, kinda went in one ear and out the other so I may be a little off)
Him - "Bigger turbo, header, (then some other stuff) and it puts down 450 at the motor, about 330 rwhp"
Me - "I wouldnt put my money on it, I've got all bolt-ons and put down 446 to the rear"
Him - "I've got all wheel drive..."
Me - "Ok.. (chuckle).. take care man"

Too much hype goes along with those AWD cars. My car isnt the fastest and I dont go around swingin my peepers around, but I figured I'd post up a little humor from the little guys with the little cars.

Last edited by BartonekDragRacing; 06-19-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

some of those "little cars" actually run quite well and will give a stock vette a run for their money.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robls6
some of those "little cars" actually run quite well and will give a stock vette a run for their money.
Don't get too cocky. There are a lot of "little cars" that make big power and are pretty damn fast.

And AWD does make a hell of a difference on a road course. The Audi R8 is pretty damn impressive on the track.

This is my buddy in the Z running with an R8.

Last edited by Marc V.; 06-19-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 PM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good friend of mine has an Evo IX. Back when I had a Cobalt SS and both of our cars were stock, we would race. He would always sling shot ahead and edge me from a stop, but from a slow roll I would always beat him. The Cobalt simply had more pull, but his 4 wheel burnout start was impossible to beat. I was really shocked that I always gained on him after the start since he had more hp, but AWD cars have a lot of driveline power loss.

Since then he has moved to Cali so I can't race him anymore, but I have upgraded big time from a stock Cobalt SS to a stock C6 Z51, and he has major mods. He dynoed at 380hp to the wheels recently on E85 gas. I really wish I could get out there to race him again but when I go that far I obviously fly.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:41 PM
steveb601
Racer

I've driven a friends' Evolution 10
Old 06-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marc V.
Don't get too cocky. There are a lot of "little cars" that make big power and are pretty damn fast.

And AWD does make a hell of a difference on a road course. The Audi R8 is pretty damn impressive on the track.

I was worried this was going to be a photo of a Subaru kicking a 'Vette's butt.

Instead it's a photo of a $130,000 Audi getting thumped by a 'Vette half its cost.

I'm relieved.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 PM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marc V.

not being cocky.. and I dont do twisties.. 40/140 from a roll.

On a side note, we're talking about this one particular car, not a friend of a friends brothers cousins Aunts son who has another friend that runs 8's etc etc.

Last edited by BartonekDragRacing; 06-19-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:06 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those little cars are pretty quick, but I thing when push comes to shove the C6 will win.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

For me yes some of those AWD WRX's and others with mods can run pretty good, but I really do not care as they look like crap in plain english. The Corvette is so much more in every way those conversations of my car can beat your Vette just plain old bore me. I would just say wow aren't you special.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Amric
Instructor

My brother has a WRX STi, with some bolt ons and a tune. I have driven it, and it does not even come close to a stock C6, but is alot of fun in bad weather.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvilin
For me yes some of those AWD WRX's and others with mods can run pretty good, but I really do not care as they look like crap in plain english. The Corvette is so much more in every way those conversations of my car can beat your Vette just plain old bore me. I would just say wow aren't you special.
yea I agree.. I'm sure they are quick but I'm not really interested in those cars which is why I made the conversation a short one.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Nikka
Pro

Nikka
Old 06-20-2009, 12:55 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by danl72
Those little cars are pretty quick, but I thing when push comes to shove the C6 will win.
Until the roads get wet or the snow comes. My 'little' WRX will get smoked by my vette. The other redeeming quality of the AWD cars is that they tend to be fairly forgiving. With coilovers and swaybars my car is quite neutral. I do have a picture from my first NASA HPDE passing an 03 Z06. Its much easier to push a car hard when you know it won't bite back.

Still there is no replacement for displacement. The WRX may be able to keep the Vette in sight up to about 90. However, after that point the little boxer will start to run out of steam due gearing and its power band.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Put a chip in a Honda Civic and it will take a ZR1 from a roll.....
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BartonekDragRacing
yea I agree.. I'm sure they are quick but I'm not really interested in those cars which is why I made the conversation a short one.

Anyone and I mean anyone can take a little tiny bland/ugly car and make it fast. Anyone.

End result = little tiny fast bland/ugly car. Not much different then back in the day when guys did mod's to Pinto's and Vega's. Not much difference at all.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 PM
cwdilg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension

Anyone and I mean anyone can take a little tiny bland/ugly car and make it fast. Anyone.

End result = little tiny fast bland/ugly car. Not much different then back in the day when guys did mod's to Pinto's and Vega's. Not much difference at all.
Hey! Easy on the Pinto mods, I resemble that remark. Gigantic 6x9 speakers on the rear deck installed at Montgomery Ward's auto shop in Lakewood. Red leather lace-on steering wheel cover and red vinyl stripes along the door bottoms and Firestone 500's (the exploding kind) cost me quite a bit back in those days. But boy it sure ran quick!

Last edited by cwdilg; 06-20-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:20 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension

I won't argue about the WRX being ugly. I like the way mine looks but wouldnt describe it as a pretty car.

However, you are very narrow minded calling a turbo AWD car as a bland car. Comparing these cars to a Pinto/Vega shows a great deal of automotive retardation on your part. Probably one of the best vehicles for someone who can only afford one car and demands something thats fast and still handle the worst weather conditions. At one point in time I was in this position. Now I can afford a Vette. Still own the WRX because guess what...its actually a ton of fun to drive.

Show me another car that can run as fast on tarmac as it does on dirt. Just because they aren't the best cars at running in a straight line doesn't make them bland. Its more fun to pass a car in a corner than on the straight. But hey that takes some skill.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner

Old 06-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cwdilg
Hey! Easy on the Pinto mods, I resemble that remark.
Red vinyl stripes along the door bottoms and Firestone 500's (the exploding kind) cost me quite a bit back in those days.
Sorry, about that.

Any pics?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:25 PM
cwdilg
Intermediate

Too embarassed to show them anymore. They are actually in black and white!
I really love our C6! We have come a long way.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

AWD has its advantages especially on wet roads. However, the extra weight eventually takes its toll. A lot of small cars are quick off the line but gasping for the 1/4 mile.

A "My car with mods is faster than your car" talk is useless since everyone can mod their car. If they start talking "bigger turbos" and such, the C6 can have a couple spools in the back installed and easily make 600+ hp. A proper tune and all and it is easily in the ZR1 range. I can think of only a couple cars that would beat that and they are all extremely expensive exotics.

Quick Reply: Interesting conversation with a WRX Wagon owner