Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tahoe/Yukon owners...questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
REDEVIL
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Tahoe/Yukon owners...questions

I was wondering if the Tahoe/Yukon owners could chime in here. I am currently looking to replace my wife's daily driver (2007 Accord Coupe) with something more kid friendly (we have a baby on the way!) and larger. She really likes the Tahoes and Yukons so that is what we have been looking at. We don't want to spend any more than $20K, so the new body style (2007-up) is out of the question. So, if we are looking at 2005-2006 models what should we be on the lookout for? How is the reliability and are there any major issues with these? I am not much of an SUV person, so I don't really keep track of this. My current DD is a 2007 CTS-V and we also have a '99 Corvette in the garage, so the performance vehicles are covered. So, if you know of any good examples for sale in Southern California, let me know! Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by REDEVIL
I was wondering if the Tahoe/Yukon owners could chime in here. I am currently looking to replace my wife's daily driver (2007 Accord Coupe) with something more kid friendly (we have a baby on the way!) and larger. She really likes the Tahoes and Yukons so that is what we have been looking at. We don't want to spend any more than $20K, so the new body style (2007-up) is out of the question. So, if we are looking at 2005-2006 models what should we be on the lookout for? How is the reliability and are there any major issues with these? I am not much of an SUV person, so I don't really keep track of this. My current DD is a 2007 CTS-V and we also have a '99 Corvette in the garage, so the performance vehicles are covered. So, if you know of any good examples for sale in Southern California, let me know! Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I've owned (3) Tahoes:

'00 Limited (Old B.S., Was to be called SS, but GM Brass Voted it down, all black outed with the Police Suspension).
'02 Z71
'04 Z71

The 00-06 BS was a superior truck to the '00. '00 was wrought with electrical gremlins. The '02 was perfect for the first 30k miles, but wife returned to school and we traded for something cheaper.

I just bought the '04 for $13,500 with 100k miles. It is fully loaded with everything except navigation. The owner was meticulous, all records and no paint work, which are my top criteria. I also wanted 4wd as the primary reason for buying this truck was to tow a new 5500# boat.

For your price range, you can forgo 4wd and go 2wd LT or Z71 with around 50k miles and up. You should be able to get GM certifed or buy one from an owner who has an extended warranty.

I suggest the warranty, as there are several items that nag this generation:

1. The A/C system is controlled by (3) blend actuators. They control the airflow and temperature. They are notorious for going whacky and sending random temperatures to each side of the car. i.e. Full Hot driver, Full Cold Passenger. Each actuator is $200+, so you really just can't throw parts at it cost effectively. Warranty would be nice here.

2. The differentials can whine and would be covered under GM Warranty.

3. The front differentials in the Denali and Escalade are notorious for whining...you may consider those as they are priced similar.

4. The radio buttons wear off and you really must just replace the radio. 2005-2006 models offered touch screen Navigation which looks better than the fact 6 disc. I believe the '04 had non-touch Navi, but the newer is easier to use.

5. The steering shaft was defective and clunks. GM has a new part to correct, but only free for those under warranty. The part is $100 or so.

As far as drive, ride, my is very tight, a few rattles with 100k. The engine feels brand new and the trans shifts smooth and crisp.

I'm happy with it. No car payments. The Z71 looks tough and I receive compliments readily on the truck. One guy even offered, I like those better than the new ones.

So do I, the best deal I could find on a NBS Z71 was around $30k. I can live with a few little issues.

Last edited by Closer_2001; 10-11-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:50 AM
REDEVIL
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the info! I'll keep those points in mind when shopping for vehicles. You're right the new B.S. is still too expensive, so we will probably be searching for an 05-06. Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
wu6fiend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We owned our 2005 Yukon Denali for two years, then just upgraded to a 2009 Yukon Denali. The 2005 was purchased ex-lease, 3 years old, with 50,000 km on it.

I agree with you that the 2007+ model is likely out of your price range. However, these vehicles depreciate enormously in the first few years, so it might be a good idea to keep your eyes open, you might find a deal.

Our 2005 had a few issues initially. The major one was a transmission problem that they traced to the torque converter. It was replaced under the extended warranty, but I still had to write a cheque for $600. That was the last non-GM extended warranty I will ever purchase. After the repair (which put the truck out of service for several days) it ran flawlessly.

The other major issue was rust. The truck came from Ontario (where they pour the salt to the roads). I found bubbles of rust in the door seams, and on the underside of the hood. The dealer fixed it, and warrantied the fix, but just before I got rid of it, it was starting to rust again.

We also had the console replaced (vinyl surface peeling off), the radio replaced (on/off button failed), and a water leak in the drivers door (broken grommet) fixed. All under warranty, out of pocket cost was nil.

The new model (2007+) is light years ahead of the old one in fit & finish. The ride is improved, and the dashboard design is much better. It feels more like a luxury sedan, than a truck.

If you buy one, get a GM extended warranty. Look carefully for rust in the seams and underneath. Check all the electronics (there are tons of features on the top models).

Bottom line: these are good trucks, you will be very happy with one.

Get notified of new replies

To Tahoe/Yukon owners...questions

Quick Reply: Tahoe/Yukon owners...questions