Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Took a new 370Z Nismo out today

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

The 350z is a starter sports car IMO. Many many former owners transition into porsches and corvettes from Z's. I'm one of them also.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I heard they had severe tire eating issues with the 350, I wonder if they improved it so they can get 5 digit miles out of them.
Tire feathering on 03's mostly. My old 05 didn't have any issues at all.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i test drove an 02 350z back in the day... there's just no comparison between that and a corvette, hopefully the 370z is a bit faster and lighter
Old 10-19-2009, 12:03 AM
cambovette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
No offense but your comparing a brand new car to a 4 year old car?? Try driving a brand new vette and then making your silly statements like......"370 handles better than the vette and is built better inside and out"
this is just my opinion....not yours..the interior is pretty much the same throughout the c6 years with only changes really are the 4LT interior and carbon fiber accents. the seats haven't changed in the vette and even mags put down the seats. the 370z interior is so much nicer than the 350z and IMO nicer than the vette's interior. my car was just barely 3yrs old when i bought it with only 14k miles so it felt pretty much brand spankin new. It's not a silly statement..it's my opionion and your entitled to your own. I chose the vette but pretty much mainly because of the all out power and speed. the 370z felt so light and it handled fantastic and it was just a base i drove without the sport package. the 370z is far superior to the 350z but against a vette...again it's all in what's important to you as a buyer.

Last edited by cambovette; 10-19-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 AM
gnarf
Cruising

its said that the nismo z is slower than a base + sport z..prolly due to the added weight and unsettling suspension..edmunds also reviewed that the nismo posted slower times than a touring sport z..but threads like these take me one step closer to an owner's perspective..something a lot of those mags cant do..thanks to op and posters
Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Devereaux
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I heard they had severe tire eating issues with the 350, I wonder if they improved it so they can get 5 digit miles out of them.
Early 350s ate a set of tires in about 7,000, but that was an issue of alignment, ride height, and geometry. All that was solved a long time ago. Still, I had an 05 and ate the rears in about 20,000.

Trouble with a 350 is that it just doesn't have the power that a Vette does. So when you are doing "moderate" speed (like 70-110), a Vette is still loafing, while a 350 is working. Ergo, as the driver, you are too.

In a ride sense, the Vette is a much more comfortable car to ride in, while still being able to handle the high speed corners better than a 350. Indeed, one of the first comments my wife made about the Vette (within two blocks of her first ride in it) was that it rode much nicer.

On the interior aspect, a 350 is much more friendly from a daily driver viewpoint. It has a thoroughly modern set of cruise controls, while the Vette has something going back to Viet Nam era it seems. Radio controls are also substantially easier to manage. Top comes up and down more quickly. AND it has auto-up windows, something I would sorely like to have on my Vette.

Personally I don't find the 350 to be in the same class as a Vette; it is underpowered, undersprung, and smaller all around. I find Porsche to be much more of a competitor to Vettes, and Vettes do really well against them. Not so much in fit and finish, which is too bad, but certainly in power and handling.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I had my '03 350Z "Touring" for over 4 years and I really loved it. Really fun and sporty sucker. Enjoyed the handling and taking curves, etc. and I thought mine handled great. Had ordered an '06 "Grand Touring" in Magnetic Black but right when it came in (took about 2+ months) talk started about the new '07's coming out with the new engine, power, etc. So I had to tell them no thanks for now I'd have to wait on more info on the '07's. So I waited, waited, waited and still nothing (even into the beginning of '07)!!! I'd been getting increasingly mad and frustrated at Nissan for dragging their feet about the new model and finally decided to broaden my horizon and look elsewhere. Been wanting more power anyway and lo and behold, in December '06, I got hooked on Corvette and soaked up all of the info I could like a sponge. It got in my blood and couldn't think, sleep, or anything . . . I had it BAAD! Long story short . . . enter my '07 Velocity Yellow Z51 in Feb. '07. Just one thing to say to Nissan for putting me through the time of waiting and aggrevation . . . . THANKS NISSAN!!!

Anyway, I like the 370's appearance ok but hadn't looked at it that close. And I did end up driving an '07 for the heck of it when they did finally come out. To me they dumbed it down and it didn't have the road feel and torgue of the previous years. And I never liked the "hump" on the hood which I voiced frequently on the "MY350Z" forum. I liked my '03 much better and the '06 GT that I almost received would have been even better IMO. Still enjoyed mine while I had it. Pic below of my two bad boys before I ultimately sold it a couple of month's after getting my vette.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:16 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

I've had mostly Vettes except for an occasional trip to the dark side ('95 911TT) and a 2003 350Z. The Z was so underpowered I added an APS TT system that brought it up to over 500 HP at the crank. The suspension was so I and upgraded the springs, sways and shocks. It was a nice car, but really wasn't anything special. Very competent, well built, but ultimately boring....it lacked any real character. After test driving my first C6 convertible, I bought it on the spot and sold the Nissan right away. The guy who bought it wrecked it a week later....couldn't handle the power, I guess.

I recently test drove a 370Z and it's a bit better than the 350Z: nice interior, a bit quicker, but poor ride and noisy as hell inside. My buddy's new Camaro SS blows it away for less money and is far better looking IMHO. The 370 looks quirky and just....odd. I picked up my latest C6 about a year ago: a mint, barely used '07, loaded 3LT for $34K w/only a few thousand miles. Car was perfect and is really in a completely different class than the Nissan Z's. If you buy right, you just can't beat the Vette for value. The GTR is different story. That's one helluva car but I just couldn't own something so ugly.
Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 AM
07 Z51
Pro

The 370 is gutless. If it runs the 1/4 in 13.1, I'll be very surprised.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few miles in a 370 and it is a nice car. I think of it as 3/4 the performance of the Vette for 3/4 the price.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 AM
ismael1
1st Gear

Originally Posted by WAAB
Rice burners! I don't understand why people buy them, hears a novel idea why don't we keep the American $$ here in the USA and not help the economy of other countrys????
I'm sorry but I had to join into this forum on this SUPER misinforming comment.
GM and ford are world markets. Invested in companies from mazda to rolls royce n volvo, jaguar, saab, opel just to name a few. Most american cars today are either designed in korea, australia, germany or are conglomerate designs that are multi national.

And lastly. THE CORVETTE IS BUILT IN ONTARIO, CANADA.
MY NISSAN ALTIMA IS BUILT IN ALABAMA, USA!
And furthermore. The 370z was built in japan BUT,
IT was fathered and designed right here in the USA.
The new corvette refresh of 2005 was done by italian designers.

That buy american stuff worked in up until around 1978, then the auto market began to slowly globalize. And today. The auto industry almost doesn't have a country. The only thing that america has been responsible for is turning beautiful american concepts into plastic ridden junk interior cars with suspensions that are often wayyyy too soft for any serious performance. (With the exception of heritage cars to a small degree)
Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 AM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ismael1
GM and ford are world markets. Invested in companies from mazda to rolls royce n volvo, jaguar, saab, opel just to name a few. Most american cars today are either designed in korea, australia, germany or are conglomerate designs that are multi national.

That buy american stuff worked in up until around 1978, then the auto market began to slowly globalize. And today. The auto industry almost doesn't have a country. The only thing that america has been responsible for is turning beautiful american concepts into plastic ridden junk interior cars with suspensions that are often wayyyy too soft for any serious performance. (With the exception of heritage cars to a small degree)
here we go
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Put down the crack pipe. Even my dog knows the Vette is built in Bowling Green , KY.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 AM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ismael1 is obviously trolling.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 AM
WAAB
Advanced

Default American $$

Parts of the corvette are built in Mexico also from what I understand, which is to bad but then so is my BB phone, in Mexico?? What I'm saying is but your not getting is keep the American $$ here in the USA support American brands. Believe me I understand about being global, the free trade agreements with other countrys have put a knife in the American farmers back as well, but nobody cares anymore where our food or other products come from.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Guinnessboy
In the end its a Nissan, enough said.
what's that supposed to mean?.....in the end the vette is a Chevrolet, how is that any different?

....and to correct ismael, the vette is built in the US, the Camaro is built in Canada.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
waltk88
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

I also test drove a 370Z. I think it's a very decent sportscar at the price point.

I loved the rev match feature of the manual transmission
Good, basic interior with comfortable and supportive seats
Good turn-in response and nice steering feedback
Satisfying low rpm and mid-range performance, but engine didn't like to rev all the way to redline - felt and sounded very strained
Respectable acceleration performance

The Nismo doesn't offer the same value for money at ~$40k, but there is some cachet to the rarity and "specialness" of the flagship model.

Get notified of new replies

To Took a new 370Z Nismo out today

Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 PM
USMCFRC
Burning Brakes

I saw a 370Z Nismo parked on Camp Pendleton the other day. A nice looking car, but I just can't get around the Nissan badge on the car.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 AM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gilly6993
what's that supposed to mean?.....in the end the vette is a Chevrolet, how is that any different?

....and to correct ismael, the vette is built in the US, the Camaro is built in Canada.
it means nissans are garbage....ive had nissans through my company for work vehicles and i cant even tell you how many times ive had to take them in for breakdowns......im not here toking the chevy pipe at all, but nissans are just plain crap....obviously there are always exceptions but i would never personally pay a $ for a nissan
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 AM
VorteXGT
New Money Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

I trust my 2004 350Z over my 1999 C5.

Raw power (a la Corvette) does not make a better car.

Quick Reply: Took a new 370Z Nismo out today