Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

What to get next: CTS-v or c5z

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:04 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Default What to get next: CTS-v or c5z

Ignoring the cost of each COMPLETELY I am considering these 2 cars.
I currently own a 92 3000gt vr4 but I am selling it and putting more cash on top to get a newer car. I have the money for both of these but I kinda don't want a strict 2 seater and I prefer the look of the V over the Z.

Im used to a lot of power ( i have about 450 in my vr4) so it seems slow to me. I stopped modding it because I knew i was getting a new car.

My plans for either car (both ls2) will be
heads
cams
inj
pump
headers+full exhaust
tune
to get 500RWHP.

My goal is to have a 11 sec DD (i dont mind DDing the vette id DD a viper if i had the money ) but i also dont want to worry about breaking things. Question is, getting down to 11, will I need upgraded transmission parts/clutch for either one and/or other supporting mods?

Also, if those mods won't get me into the 11s with the caddy, I could always spray 150shot on top of it.

Again, I prefer the looks and 4 door qualities of the V, but the z would be faster. Its a matter of HOW much slower the V is...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the V-spec is the car for you. With heads, cam and headers, you will get plenty of power from either car. Traction becomes the problem.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z is an eleven second car stock, so if that is your end goal then done.

The CTS-V is the same powertrain with 700 more pounds. The V is approx 20-25% heavier than a z06 so to get similar performance you would need about 500 hp at the engine.

My Z is at 472 with bolt ons. Your goal of 500rwhp has been done but it won't be the most streetable cam, and you will need a new clutch and half shafts for the rear end to retain any level of reliability. Also watch out for stock rockers vomitting their internals. If you don't NEED the seats get the Z hands down. TOTALLY different experience.

Honestly just get a 2009 cts-v 556hp, 50k and call it a day :P That will be my next car.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 PM
x88
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
The Z is an eleven second car stock, so if that is your end goal then done.

The CTS-V is the same powertrain with 700 more pounds. The V is approx 20-25% heavier than a z06 so to get similar performance you would need about 500 hp at the engine.

My Z is at 472 with bolt ons. Your goal of 500rwhp has been done but it won't be the most streetable cam, and you will need a new clutch and half shafts for the rear end to retain any level of reliability. Also watch out for stock rockers vomitting their internals. If you don't NEED the seats get the Z hands down. TOTALLY different experience.

Honestly just get a 2009 cts-v 556hp, 50k and call it a day :P That will be my next car.
haha I know i wish i could get a 09 v i LOVE those cars

What are your bolt ons? I guess my question is what are the easiest, cheapest mods (self install) I should do to the car without having to worry about exploding anything?

Also, what disadvantages does the LS6 have vs the LS2? I am not very familiar with american cars. I know the rears on the 04-05 V are weak but there is a 2k fix available, but if the motors are somehow inferior then I will have to opt to find an 06.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Overd0s3
haha I know i wish i could get a 09 v i LOVE those cars

What are your bolt ons? I guess my question is what are the easiest, cheapest mods (self install) I should do to the car without having to worry about exploding anything?

Also, what disadvantages does the LS6 have vs the LS2? I am not very familiar with american cars. I know the rears on the 04-05 V are weak but there is a 2k fix available, but if the motors are somehow inferior then I will have to opt to find an 06.
The LS2 is an inferior engine to the LS6 in my opinion. I have yet to see any produce more power than an LS6 with engine mods, plus the smaller displacement gets better mileage.

The LS3 really changed the game, but between an LS6 and an LS2 I would get an LS6 hands down. Limiting your CTS-V to 2004, maybe 2005 as I recall.

If you click my name and view my public profile it has my cars mods and dyno sheet.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:25 PM
DBS99MagRedCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I picked up an 04 CTS-V this summer. I would find one with high miles on it since you will have to upgrade the driveline anyway in order to handle the 500 hp at the rear wheels. Plan on everything from the motor mounts back. The dual mass flywheel is a piece of junk. The differential is weak. Wheel hop is your worst enemy. Here is a link to the Cadillac Owners forum CTS-V section for more info. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...cts-v-general/
Old 11-14-2009, 06:37 PM
x88
Drifting

Originally Posted by DBS99MagRedCoupe
I picked up an 04 CTS-V this summer. I would find one with high miles on it since you will have to upgrade the driveline anyway in order to handle the 500 hp at the rear wheels. Plan on everything from the motor mounts back. The dual mass flywheel is a piece of junk. The differential is weak. Wheel hop is your worst enemy. Here is a link to the Cadillac Owners forum CTS-V section for more info. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...cts-v-general/
Well if I am upgrading the driveline what about everything else? Going high mileage means Im gonna have an old engine, worn out seats, suspension, everything. What's the harm in gettin a low mileage and simply upgrading the rear, and whole new clutch+flywheel?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
DBS99MagRedCoupe
Burning Brakes

Not questioning whether to or not to get a low mileage one to start with. I am suggesting that you could save a few thousand off the purchase price by getting a car with high miles. The dealer service records on the one I bought listed the shocks, motor mounts and the differential bushing were replaced last year under warranty. I am not planning on modding mine. I will be replacing the clutch, slave, flywheel and shifter this winter.

To get to your goal of 500 at the wheels, make it a DD with reasonable manners & reliability you need to mod just about everything in the engine but the block and crank. Depending on the cam you choose you may have to flycut the pistons.

I agree with Z06Electron that if you don't need the extra seats pick up a C5 or Z06. There are several out there with either an A&A or ECS blower kit that make 500 hp and have good DD manners in the same price range as an 06 CTS-V.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:56 AM
x88
Drifting

Not questioning whether to or not to get a low mileage one to start with. I am suggesting that you could save a few thousand off the purchase price by getting a car with high miles. The dealer service records on the one I bought listed the shocks, motor mounts and the differential bushing were replaced last year under warranty. I am not planning on modding mine. I will be replacing the clutch, slave, flywheel and shifter this winter.

To get to your goal of 500 at the wheels, make it a DD with reasonable manners & reliability you need to mod just about everything in the engine but the block and crank. Depending on the cam you choose you may have to flycut the pistons.

I agree with Z06Electron that if you don't need the extra seats pick up a C5 or Z06. There are several out there with either an A&A or ECS blower kit that make 500 hp and have good DD manners in the same price range as an 06 CTS-V.
Unfortunately, I really need the 4 doors and I love the look of the V.
Also, everyone has seen/knows vettes are quick, not everyone knows some caddy can be quick, esp since most of the "street scene" here is full of idiots.

I will be aiming for an 06 so that I will not have to upgrade the rear, but if i get an 04 first thing will be fixing the rear, and then onto the power and clutch mods.

In what order should I get the following power mods?
intake, exhaust, headers, heads, cams..
(not sure if i need) inj, pump, tune
Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM
DBS99MagRedCoupe
Burning Brakes

The CTS-V engine is controlled by the computer so you will need to get a dyno tune after every "group" of mods. Your budget will determine how many mods you can do at once.

The first group I would consider is a cold air intake ($350), long tube headers ($1200), high flow cats ($400) exhaust ($850) and a dyno tune (includes the HP Tuners license $500) plus labor ($600-$700). This group will get you around 20 HP and 15 LBS torque. Total $3900 - $4000.

The second group would be heads (AFR 205 with the valve spring upgrade) ($2600), rockers (Yella Terra Ultralites $450), hardened pushrods ($150), Double roller timing chain ($125), head & crank pulley bolts (can't reuse the old ones $150), oil pump ($100), Fast 92 and throttle body ($1300), gaskets ($200) and a re-tune ($250) plus labor $1000 - $1200. This group will get you close to your goal of 500HP. Total $6300 - $6500

With the above mods your driveline will need upgraded $$$$$$$

You can choose lower priced parts (example Patriot vice AFR) and save about $1000. DIY labor and save even more. Just make sure you have a good tuner person to work with. A bad tune will wreck all your mods.

The mod bug can cost a small fortune. I have more $$ in my vette than I can ever expect to get back out of it when I sell it.

Last edited by DBS99MagRedCoupe; 11-16-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 AM
x88
Drifting

The CTS-V engine is controlled by the computer so you will need to get a dyno tune after every "group" of mods. Your budget will determine how many mods you can do at once.

The first group I would consider is a cold air intake ($350), long tube headers ($1200), high flow cats ($400) exhaust ($850) and a dyno tune (includes the HP Tuners license $500) plus labor ($600-$700). This group will get you around 20 HP and 15 LBS torque. Total $3900 - $4000.

The second group would be heads (AFR 205 with the valve spring upgrade) ($2600), rockers (Yella Terra Ultralites $450), hardened pushrods ($150), Double roller timing chain ($125), head & crank pulley bolts (can't reuse the old ones $150), oil pump ($100), Fast 92 and throttle body ($1300), gaskets ($200) and a re-tune ($250) plus labor $1000 - $1200. This group will get you close to your goal of 500HP. Total $6300 - $6500

With the above mods your driveline will need upgraded $$$$$$$

You can choose lower priced parts (example Patriot vice AFR) and save about $1000. DIY labor and save even more. Just make sure you have a good tuner person to work with. A bad tune will wreck all your mods.

The mod bug can cost a small fortune. I have more $$ in my vette than I can ever expect to get back out of it when I sell it.
What if i did..
intake 350 , headers 1000, heads 2000, cams 500 at once, plus tune 250?
With this also plan on axle 300 , clutch 1000, motor mounts 700?
total ~5000 plus labor

In terms of the engine, do i need anything else? Sorry Im a noob i dont even know what roller rockers do, or pushrods...

also i found out a new rear (08 model) is 1600 plus install
Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default totally different cars

Originally Posted by Overd0s3
What if i did..
intake 350 , headers 1000, heads 2000, cams 500 at once, plus tune 250?
With this also plan on axle 300 , clutch 1000, motor mounts 700?
total ~5000 plus labor

In terms of the engine, do i need anything else? Sorry Im a noob i dont even know what roller rockers do, or pushrods...

also i found out a new rear (08 model) is 1600 plus install
What is your definition of DD? These are two totally different cars.
The only common components are the engine/trans. The vette will always be faster and handle better if you throw the same amount of money at each car.

Having said that, I purchased a 2004 CTS-V with the LS6 engine over the 06/07 with the LS2. My mods scheduled for this winter will be:
short throw shifter, urethane motor mount,trans mount, and rear diff mount bushings. LS7 clutch/flywheel, third version diff with aftermarket axles to help eliminate wheel hop.

Regardless of which engine you have or what the mileage is, I feel these mods are essential to clean up the driveline so you can utilize the
existing power. I have the K&N air filter and Magnaflow cat back exhaust with a Lingenfelter tune and won't even try to launch the car.
When I hit it from a roll with Michelin Pilot Sport 275/40x18 rear tires i get wheel hop in second gear.

I too like the looks of cts-v especially the trunk and back seat.
Is it a 04 Z06 with four doors and a trunk? No It is a Sport Touring Sedan that you can have some fun with and your buddies, children, or grandmother can get in and out of the back seat.

If still interested, check out the V on one of the auction sites for sale by a 62yr old gentleman with Magnuson installed and only 36000 miles for $25000. Drive it before you buy it.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:27 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Even if both are equally fast, I don't ever see myself lusting to drive the Caddy, I might like it on some level, but never the same as a real sports car. I'm looking hard at a 09 CTS-V, it's incredible inside and out, but after more research, I'll have to keep my Z. The feel is entirely different between a 4 door sedan and a 2 door sports car. There may be substitute for horsepower/torque, but there is NO substitute for lightness. Throwing a Caddy around corners and sweepers ain't the same as when driving the Z06 (C5 or C6 gen).
Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 AM
x88
Drifting

Im actually considering putting together a turbo kit for it. I'm gonna need 500rwhp just to be satisfied. I need to research on it though, where to run piping, what manifolds to buy, which turbo etc. If anyone has any insight please give me some pointers.

Basically I am looking for the cheapest way to get to at least 500. If there is no cheap way (<5000) then I will have to get the z06.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

pick up an s/c Z and a beater!

Get notified of new replies

To What to get next: CTS-v or c5z

Quick Reply: What to get next: CTS-v or c5z