Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

I just bought a new Civic instead of a used C6, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:46 AM
#1 Moses
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda

Friends dont let friends drive Honda civics !
Old 11-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Mike McG
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corvette has already depreciated, and will likely old its value in the high 20s. Your civic lost quite a bit of cash as soon as you drove it off the lot. IMO after driving a vette I could not go to a civic, but if thats what you wanted and you are happy wit your decision that is all that matters.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is 'Vette Suspension"
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

I could never own a Civic for any reason.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Financially, it's probably a great decision. They get great gas mileage and are very reliable, and since you bought it new, you will know that it's been well-maintained and not "beat on". They are also cheaper to maintain. You'll save over $1,000 every time you change tires, and the tires will probably last longer on the Civic. You'll have nowhere near as much fun driving, but maybe you'll enjoy the money you save some other way.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Civic?------Corvette??-----Don`t even belong in the same sentence
Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought a 2008 Accord EX-L. After a year I traded it. Piece of crap.

It had more rattles/buzzes that the dealer could never fix. Plus my C6 got better highway fuel mileage so while the Accord was supposed to be my DD it sat.

The myth surrounding Honda is astonishing. I joined a Honda forum and anytime someone would post a negative comment or plea for solving a problem the vast majority of responses were "you bought a $20K car what do you expect" or the classic "you bought the one built in Ohio". In fact these goofballs coveted the J coded Accords (letter in VIN indicating it was built in Japan). BTW my 08 Accord listed for just at $30K. $30K for a Honda - I don't think so.

I traded it on a CPO Cadillac SRX and we love the SRX.

I'll never buy an IMPORT even one made in the US.

Tom
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

No 4 bangers for me ever.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Latch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
The myth surrounding Honda is astonishing. I joined a Honda forum and anytime someone would post a negative comment or plea for solving a problem the vast majority of responses were "you bought a $20K car what do you expect" or the classic "you bought the one built in Ohio". In fact these goofballs coveted the J coded Accords (letter in VIN indicating it was built in Japan). BTW my 08 Accord listed for just at $30K. $30K for a Honda - I don't think so.
My first car (which was originally my parents' car) was a 1990 Accord and while it did have 100k+ miles on it, it broke down on me numerous times and left me stranded in parking lots just enough times to make me swear I would never buy another Honda. I'm sorry but there's no excuse for the bizarre problems it had. If it was cold outside, the shifter would lock up and refuse to go into park, which means that you couldn't take the key out of the ignition. If it was hot outside, the car simply wouldn't start. It would sound like it had a dead battery, and people would offer you a jump. Then you had to explain to them that it's not the battery, but the car was just a POS!

Even when the car was newer and my parents were driving it, it had a number of problems as well, so it's not just because it was high mileage when I was driving it. The problems I experienced were because of relays and solenoids that needed to be replaced. So much for Honda reliability. Contrast that to the two American cars I've bought since then, which, while they didn't have 100k miles, didn't give me any problems.

I'm not saying that all American cars are good and all Japanese cars are bad. But there's no magic to Japanese cars. They're overpriced and more expensive to fix when they do break down. The build quality isn't always there either. My mom bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander and ever since it was new, the leather on the rear seat would squeak so bad she had to put paper towls in between the sections of the seat to stop it. Probably just needs some leather conditioner, but I would be disappointed if I bought a brand new $30k Toyota only to find out it already has a squeak I need to take care of.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:35 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Latch
My first car (which was originally my parents' car) was a 1990 Accord and while it did have 100k+ miles on it, it broke down on me numerous times and left me stranded in parking lots just enough times to make me swear I would never buy another Honda. I'm sorry but there's no excuse for the bizarre problems it had. If it was cold outside, the shifter would lock up and refuse to go into park, which means that you couldn't take the key out of the ignition. If it was hot outside, the car simply wouldn't start. It would sound like it had a dead battery, and people would offer you a jump. Then you had to explain to them that it's not the battery, but the car was just a POS!

Even when the car was newer and my parents were driving it, it had a number of problems as well, so it's not just because it was high mileage when I was driving it. The problems I experienced were because of relays and solenoids that needed to be replaced. So much for Honda reliability. Contrast that to the two American cars I've bought since then, which, while they didn't have 100k miles, didn't give me any problems.

I'm not saying that all American cars are good and all Japanese cars are bad. But there's no magic to Japanese cars. They're overpriced and more expensive to fix when they do break down. The build quality isn't always there either. My mom bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander and ever since it was new, the leather on the rear seat would squeak so bad she had to put paper towls in between the sections of the seat to stop it. Probably just needs some leather conditioner, but I would be disappointed if I bought a brand new $30k Toyota only to find out it already has a squeak I need to take care of.
My sis had a late 80's Honda that was junk.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Personally, I'd have gone with the 200 HP SI Civic and I'm a bit surprised you didn't. My son has a 97 CX (the HATCH) that rides on Eibach springs and shocks, has 16-inch Black Racing Pro wheels, an AEM CAI, and pillar pod tach and clock, along with Magnaflow exhaust. It has been super-reliable and averages about 35 MPG with lots of city driving. Dang, that car is fun to drive, even with only 113 HP.

Of course, for the price of an SI Civic, you can have a 263 HP Mazdaspeed 3. It may not look as sleek as the SI, but it does out-handle and accelerate it.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Dave68
Race Director

I hear you. My other car is an 89 Mazda MX6 GT Turbo with auto tranny. It is nice to have both manual and auto tranny cars. It's a shame Mazda doesn't make anything like my car, today. The closest thing would be the Mazda 3 with the 2.5 liter engine and auto tranny. It has about the same HP as my car, but a lot less torque (My MX has about 200 lbs-ft out of a 2.2-liter 4-banger).

What you eventually do is get a used Mazdaspeed MX5 to drive on the weekends. You can pick up a low mileage one for $11,000 and with 178 HP and 2400 lbs, it is lots of fun to drive and super-reliable. In fact, I'm thinking about getting one, once my MX6 dies or my kids are out of college, whichever occurs first!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:46 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

The Civic is the best looking small economy car out there!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:54 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I wish you well with your new Civic. Can't say I would have done it but for those that do...I can understand your priorities..

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

your teh ghey
Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by ronssito
The Civic is the best looking small economy car out there!

The new Kia Forte is surprisingly as good-looking.

http://www.autotrends.org/images/kia-forte-koup.jpg
Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 AM
kelp
Drifting

My thoughts. OK, Kinda dumb to put that on a Corvette Forum.

Get notified of new replies

To I just bought a new Civic instead of a used C6, opinions?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 PM
kelp
Drifting

Um, sure. This is my track car.

Originally Posted by OffHeGoes
But you're right, maybe it was a little dumb, but we all do crazy things... like some people might put a giant wing on the back of their Corvette.. I personally wouldn't. That's just me.

Last edited by kelp; 12-02-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 AM
FaSSt67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Personally, I'd have gone with the 200 HP SI Civic and I'm a bit surprised you didn't. My son has a 97 CX (the HATCH) that rides on Eibach springs and shocks, has 16-inch Black Racing Pro wheels, an AEM CAI, and pillar pod tach and clock, along with Magnaflow exhaust. It has been super-reliable and averages about 35 MPG with lots of city driving. Dang, that car is fun to drive, even with only 113 HP.

Of course, for the price of an SI Civic, you can have a 263 HP Mazdaspeed 3. It may not look as sleek as the SI, but it does out-handle and accelerate it.
Is is possible for you to make a post where you dont talk about the mazdaspeed 3?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Si

Quick Reply: I just bought a new Civic instead of a used C6, opinions?