Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Looking to buy a Viper, or 911 turbo or C6 Z06 by the summer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to buy a Viper, or 911 turbo or C6 Z06 by the summer

Ive been without my slighty modded C5 for a almost 2 years now. And by summer time i'll be in a position to buy a new toy for pleasure and not a DD. So ive been doing some research, so far I have been looking at used 911 Turbo's, C6 Z06's and '03-'04 Viper SRT-10's. I'm looking for thrills per mile and nothing else as i have a dd that will do the dirty work so not really concerned about comfort an amenities. But looking for a no comprimise performence car. I know some of the people here have Porches and Vettes and or Vettes and Vipers. So tell me, based on the criteria that i've stated wich would you choose?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:25 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueBlueConvert
Ive been without my slighty modded C5 for a almost 2 years now. And by summer time i'll be in a position to buy a new toy for pleasure and not a DD. So ive been doing some research, so far I have been looking at used 911 Turbo's, C6 Z06's and '03-'04 Viper SRT-10's. I'm looking for thrills per mile and nothing else as i have a dd that will do the dirty work so not really concerned about comfort an amenities. But looking for a no comprimise performence car. I know some of the people here have Porches and Vettes and or Vettes and Vipers. So tell me, based on the criteria that i've stated wich would you choose?
If your not cocerned with amenities, go with the Viper hands down get a gen2, if you want to make sick power with worring about breaking get a 96-99, they are a little more evpensive the the 03 and 04, but the are brutes. forget the 911, the C6 is a great car, but from what you are saying about not careing about comfort and amenities, it reallys sound that you want the Viper, get the gen 2 you will not regret it(make sure it has factory stripes, you will have instant rockstar staus, trust me I currently own both.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
HOWSER
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You really can't go wrong with any of those cars. If it was me having to decide I'd probably go with the Turbo Porsche today though the Viper is close behind.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:23 PM
airn
Advanced

Go with a viper.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

I went with the turbo. Mostly because I need the rear seats for the kids. Test driven all three. The C6Z is a much better car than a viper. Viper was just felt too raw, unforgiving and uncomfortable to drive. The driving position was too awkward too.

Also, don't forget that the best price to buy a performance car is now. Prices usually go up in the spring/summer.

Last edited by PeterK; 12-31-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

This is one I've had my eye on thats for sale on a popular auction site. And I just find it drop dead sexy but wont be ready to buy till late spring/early summer. I dont think I would do much mods beyond headers and a full exhaust, intake and a tune. Maybe a hit of gas if I feel the urge. But we all know how that goes once you start you cant stop...lol

By the way has anyone done a long road trip in any of these lets say from FL to NY and back and survived to tell about out without needing a Chiropractor?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 PM
airn
Advanced

thats bad ***. I perfer the coupe myself.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

no compromise performance car..........

Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
BSheppard
Pro

I have a C6Z and a 02 GTS. I also test drove a 996 turbo and it was a great car but felt for the money, there are better cars out there. I would go GTS or SRT10 coupe for a "fun only" car.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:13 AM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

Originally Posted by BSheppard
I have a C6Z and a 02 GTS. I also test drove a 996 turbo and it was a great car but felt for the money, there are better cars out there. I would go GTS or SRT10 coupe for a "fun only" car.
Thanks for the input, i Like the Gen 2 GTS, but im really leaning towards an 2003 -2004 vert. I'd love to get an 06 up coupe but i dont want to jump up to that price range. But I'd like to know if any members have done any long distance road trips in any models and managed to do so without medical attention needed after the trip.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
carlsbad
Pro

hey

you could get a C6Z06 with decent miles(15k-25k) for around $45,000, witch would leave you plenty of money for mods(vararam/LT'S/Bullets), and some nice 3 piece forged wheels!.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:39 AM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for the input, i Like the Gen 2 GTS, but im really leaning towards an 2003 -2004 vert. I'd love to get an 06 up coupe but i dont want to jump up to that price range. But I'd like to know if any members have done any long distance road trips in any models and managed to do so without medical attention needed after the trip.
This is the car I bought about 8 months ago...I've added some mods already

I've driven the car on numerous 3 hour trips, and I don't get uncomfortable at all. Of course, it rides stiff...but not like a tank like some people would have you believe. It rides no worse than any other lowered car, in stock form. The ride really gets better as soon as you ditch the factory runflats. There are lots of coilover options which will make it handle/ride like a dream

Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 AM
BSheppard
Pro

I have been on a few road trips in my Viper. Honestly the seats are MUCH better than in my C6Z. It is the lack of cruise and dead pedal that kinda get old after a few hours on the road. The big thing that people bitch about in the viper is getting in and out and the heat. My car is a coupe and the air works great. I have a corsa exhaust and high flow cats, so maybe that is the heat difference but never remember having a problem when it was new/stock. I also don't have a problem getting in or out but I also ride sportsbikes with no problems. I might be a bad judge of that, but on a road trips you should not be entering/exiting that much anyway.

As far as the newer Gen III's and IV's go, I have some seat time in both and all are great cars. My favorites are the gen II GTS and Gen IV ACR. The performance of the ones I have been in, the GEN II through GEN III are all pretty close but the new 600hp gen IV are MUCH faster. I'm not a Vert fan so no 2003-2004 for me. They are great cars and weigh LESS than the coupe.

A few test drives will answer all these questions. The old school GTS just does it for me but every one has different tastes.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:19 PM
RED HAWK
Racer

Originally Posted by BSheppard
I have been on a few road trips in my Viper. Honestly the seats are MUCH better than in my C6Z. It is the lack of cruise and dead pedal that kinda get old after a few hours on the road. The big thing that people bitch about in the viper is getting in and out and the heat. My car is a coupe and the air works great. I have a corsa exhaust and high flow cats, so maybe that is the heat difference but never remember having a problem when it was new/stock. I also don't have a problem getting in or out but I also ride sportsbikes with no problems. I might be a bad judge of that, but on a road trips you should not be entering/exiting that much anyway.

As far as the newer Gen III's and IV's go, I have some seat time in both and all are great cars. My favorites are the gen II GTS and Gen IV ACR. The performance of the ones I have been in, the GEN II through GEN III are all pretty close but the new 600hp gen IV are MUCH faster. I'm not a Vert fan so no 2003-2004 for me. They are great cars and weigh LESS than the coupe.

A few test drives will answer all these questions. The old school GTS just does it for me but every one has different tastes.
Ditto. I'm running 675 HP all motor in my '98 GTS. Just can't beat it for a visceral beast. Gen IV is nice but hard to mod and 600 HP is not enough. In addition, it's too civilized.

Last edited by RED HAWK; 01-30-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HAWK
Ditto. I'm running 675 HP all motor in my '98 GTS. Just can't beat it for a visceral beast. Gen IV is nice but hard to mod and 600 HP is not enough. In addition, it's too civilized
Or you could get a normal looking Viper without all the add on rice and not be a laughing stock.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:47 AM
RED HAWK
Racer

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Or you could get a normal looking Viper without all the add on rice and not be a laughing stock.
I have the exact same aero mods as the highly sought after GTSR White/Blue GT2 Commemorative Edition. So I would say you are a stupid idiot that doesn't know anything about Vipers. In addition, I race mine and the aero provides down force. Obviously, you're a poser and not a racer. So why don't you just shut up.

Last edited by RED HAWK; 01-31-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

06 Viper, add all the HP you want

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy a Viper, or 911 turbo or C6 Z06 by the summer

Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM
FaSSt67
Instructor

Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope your joking because you know him or somthing.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 PM
RED HAWK
Racer

Originally Posted by PA Z06
I hope your joking because you know him or somthing.
No. He doesn't know me. He's just a jerk. I'd call him worse, however, posting rules prohibit it. Maybe he won't be as jealous once he has enough money to do some mods on his "regular" Viper.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Viper, or 911 turbo or C6 Z06 by the summer