Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Other Cars
Reload this Page >

You hear a Corvette coming yet you see a 240SX coming at you.

Notices
Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale
View Poll Results: Love it or Hate it?
Love It / It's cool
78.95%
Hate it / It's stupid
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

You hear a Corvette coming yet you see a 240SX coming at you.

 
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 PM
  #1  
Z06Fanatic
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Z06Fanatic's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Posts: 221
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default You hear a Corvette coming yet you see a 240SX coming at you.

Z06Fanatic is offline  
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
  #2  
SpeedyRCM_TX
CF Senior Member
 
SpeedyRCM_TX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Cypress TX
Posts: 575
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I actually really enjoy seeing people's creativity and crazy hybrid setups! What can I say, I love anything fast and well put together.
SpeedyRCM_TX is offline  
Old 01-15-2010, 10:04 PM
  #3  
andrewdonald1
CF Senior Member
 
andrewdonald1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Puyallup WA
Posts: 922
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

At least he was smart enough to go Vette in the heart of it.
andrewdonald1 is offline  
Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 PM
  #4  
jrose7004
CF Senior Member
 
jrose7004's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Posts: 56,067
Thanked 767 Times in 682 Posts
Default

I think it's pretty cool!
jrose7004 is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 AM
  #5  
itzza427
CF Senior Member
 
itzza427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Belleville Il
Posts: 7,602
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I grew up in the hot rodding days,,which included motor/drive train swaps,,so I agree,,,at least he put the corvette motor in something else!! He could have commuted a sacrilege and put a Nissan in a vet!! One way to make an import cool!!!!!:chee rs:
itzza427 is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 01:50 AM
  #6  
RideZX6R
CF Senior Member
 
RideZX6R's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Issaquah, WA (Seattle)
Posts: 1,845
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I did this with a newer body (1995) 240SX... in 2006-7. It wasn't really a new thing back then either. Fun car 2750lbs and 425whp.

However... the real deal is much nicer to own
RideZX6R is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 AM
  #7  
ZishanM
CF Senior Member
 
ZishanM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago-land / DC
Posts: 383
Thanked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
Fun car 2750lbs and 425whp.

However... the real deal is much nicer to own
This pretty much sums it up. I think its awesome, its a great swap but the cost and the hassle just isnt worth it when you buy a C5 for the prices you can these days. The C5 will do everything this car can, just better, and the price is better too!

The real deal is better not because its a corvette, but the actual performance numbers in every category; from street, strip, auto-x, road race, gas mileage, insurance premium, reliability, etc.

I know people are going to mention weight, but you have to understand that alot of these cars dont have power steering and a/c and you can't compare apples to apples with that.
ZishanM is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 04:50 AM
  #8  
RideZX6R
CF Senior Member
 
RideZX6R's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Issaquah, WA (Seattle)
Posts: 1,845
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZishanMalik View Post
This pretty much sums it up. I think its awesome, its a great swap but the cost and the hassle just isnt worth it when you buy a C5 for the prices you can these days. The C5 will do everything this car can, just better, and the price is better too!

The real deal is better not because its a corvette, but the actual performance numbers in every category; from street, strip, auto-x, road race, gas mileage, insurance premium, reliability, etc.

I know people are going to mention weight, but you have to understand that alot of these cars dont have power steering and a/c and you can't compare apples to apples with that.
Well you're half right. C5s are now available in the low to mid teens (97-99s usually with higher miles).
To build a proper 240SX with an LS1 and a T56 will cost you at least 12k (including a proper suspension setup and brakes and tires). So for a few grand more you get a Vette. So the cost is very similar...
The thing is... the real deal is better because it IS a corvette. Much better quality of ownership, more respect, etc.

However... Insurance is cheaper on an S14 chassis 240SX than a Vette (I know I owned both).

Reliability is moot. The only unreliable things in the 240 are the stock trans, and they get removed when the car gets swapped. However stuff like, air conditioning, the radio, power windows etc... I'd say the Nissans are more reliable in that respect.

As far as performance. my car weighed 2773 with a full tank of gas, working A/C and power steering and everything else you'd want (stereo etc). I built it as a street car, and you BEST BELIEVE it'd outperform my C5 (as my C5 sits right now making 350whp with a few bucks in suspension/brakes and tires) in every arena.
240s don't have 50/50 weight distribution, however the LSx swap actually makes them LIGHTER in the front because the 2.4L inline 4 they have is an IRON block which is to say... VERY HEAVY. LSx being aluminum is lighter, transmission weight is the same. And in short, anyone who builds an LSx 240 isn't gonna leave the stock manifolds/exhaust/intake (or more than likely the heads and cam as well) on - theyre gonna mod them before the motor is installed.

Now, add that to a good suspension setup, brakes, tires, etc (which most will also do before the car hits the pavement). It'll run circles around a stock (or even mildly modded - like mine) C5. However you don't need the LSx to do it, a good friend of mine has the Japanese aluminum block 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo motor (SR20DET) making 400whp on pump gas, he runs it at the track with 330whp on lower boost for safety. His suspension is VERY well sorted out... he'll beat me on the drag strip or at any HPDE, the car is well done. However he'll openly admit 2 things about his car...
1- if he had to do it over again, he'd have swapped in an LSx
2 - He likes my Corvette better on the whole - however he likes his cheap insurance more


Basically, I would have enjoyed keeping my LS powered 240, however at the time I needed the cash and had to go to one car only - so I sold it and my Trailblazer and bought an STI. Eventually I found a C5 and I've wanted one since I was 12. I won't get rid of it unless I have to, slower than my 240 or not. It's a more prestigious car, it garners more attention anywhere/everywhere I go and its MUCH better looking if you ask me.
RideZX6R is offline  
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 PM
  #9  
ZumZum
CF Senior Member
 
ZumZum's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Central Il
Posts: 11,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Never cared for the SX. Put that motor in '72 240Z, now we're talking.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/...0e4800.jpg?v=0
ZumZum is online now  
Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 PM
  #10  
RideZX6R
CF Senior Member
 
RideZX6R's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Issaquah, WA (Seattle)
Posts: 1,845
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by zumzum View Post
never cared for the sx. Put that motor in '72 240z, now we're talking.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/...0e4800.jpg?v=0
yesssss!!!
RideZX6R is offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 11:30 AM
  #11  
dpd3672
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
dpd3672's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit MI
Posts: 10,738
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
Well you're half right. C5s are now available in the low to mid teens (97-99s usually with higher miles).
To build a proper 240SX with an LS1 and a T56 will cost you at least 12k (including a proper suspension setup and brakes and tires). So for a few grand more you get a Vette. So the cost is very similar...
The thing is... the real deal is better because it IS a corvette. Much better quality of ownership, more respect, etc.

However... Insurance is cheaper on an S14 chassis 240SX than a Vette (I know I owned both).

Reliability is moot. The only unreliable things in the 240 are the stock trans, and they get removed when the car gets swapped. However stuff like, air conditioning, the radio, power windows etc... I'd say the Nissans are more reliable in that respect.

As far as performance. my car weighed 2773 with a full tank of gas, working A/C and power steering and everything else you'd want (stereo etc). I built it as a street car, and you BEST BELIEVE it'd outperform my C5 (as my C5 sits right now making 350whp with a few bucks in suspension/brakes and tires) in every arena.
240s don't have 50/50 weight distribution, however the LSx swap actually makes them LIGHTER in the front because the 2.4L inline 4 they have is an IRON block which is to say... VERY HEAVY. LSx being aluminum is lighter, transmission weight is the same. And in short, anyone who builds an LSx 240 isn't gonna leave the stock manifolds/exhaust/intake (or more than likely the heads and cam as well) on - theyre gonna mod them before the motor is installed.

Now, add that to a good suspension setup, brakes, tires, etc (which most will also do before the car hits the pavement). It'll run circles around a stock (or even mildly modded - like mine) C5. However you don't need the LSx to do it, a good friend of mine has the Japanese aluminum block 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo motor (SR20DET) making 400whp on pump gas, he runs it at the track with 330whp on lower boost for safety. His suspension is VERY well sorted out... he'll beat me on the drag strip or at any HPDE, the car is well done. However he'll openly admit 2 things about his car...
1- if he had to do it over again, he'd have swapped in an LSx
2 - He likes my Corvette better on the whole - however he likes his cheap insurance more


Basically, I would have enjoyed keeping my LS powered 240, however at the time I needed the cash and had to go to one car only - so I sold it and my Trailblazer and bought an STI. Eventually I found a C5 and I've wanted one since I was 12. I won't get rid of it unless I have to, slower than my 240 or not. It's a more prestigious car, it garners more attention anywhere/everywhere I go and its MUCH better looking if you ask me.

I don't think most folks that do swaps like this do so for the value for the money. It seems like most do it just to prove (or see if) it can be done.

I'm all for stuff like this. If done well, it's pretty cool.
dpd3672 is offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
  #12  
JustinStrife
CF Senior Member
 
JustinStrife's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Lake Havasu AZ
Posts: 26,903
Thanked 80 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
I don't think most folks that do swaps like this do so for the value for the money. It seems like most do it just to prove (or see if) it can be done.

I'm all for stuff like this. If done well, it's pretty cool.
Most people on the import forums who were doing this, did it not only to prove it could be done, but because it was such a badass swap that made the car considerably better than before. Not to mention, when most of these swaps were being done, C5's still commanded 20+ on the market.
JustinStrife is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 AM
  #13  
ClipperFan
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 6,398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZumZum View Post
Never cared for the SX. Put that motor in '72 240Z, now we're talking.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/...0e4800.jpg?v=0
I bought one with a v-8 four speed manual trans from my brother many years ago. That thing was so much fun to drive I almost wish I'd kept it. It ran like low 12's at 115-120 mph.................
ClipperFan is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 AM
  #14  
ZishanM
CF Senior Member
 
ZishanM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago-land / DC
Posts: 383
Thanked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JustinStrife View Post
Most people on the import forums who were doing this, did it not only to prove it could be done, but because it was such a badass swap that made the car considerably better than before. Not to mention, when most of these swaps were being done, C5's still commanded 20+ on the market.
C5's have been commanding between 15-20k for years now, nearly 3-4 years in fact, but the idea is as you stated early because its the best mod they could do. More reliable power and less weight and more power potential to go with it.
ZishanM is offline  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:24 AM
  #15  
ZishanM
CF Senior Member
 
ZishanM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago-land / DC
Posts: 383
Thanked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZumZum View Post
Never cared for the SX. Put that motor in '72 240Z, now we're talking.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/...0e4800.jpg?v=0
The chassis on those cars isn't like the cars they produced twenty years ago. I imagine a high hp motor would twist the car apart. I suppose bracing is an option.
ZishanM is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You hear a Corvette coming yet you see a 240SX coming at you.


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: