Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

"Restomod" project??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default "Restomod" project??

I was thinking of another project. Want an old car body style but new car drivability and all safety and comfort. Would it be possible to change the body only from one car to another. Say an '05 cadillac and a 55 cadillac? Just an example. So the interior and all modern things are still intact but the outside looks as it did before.

Anyone have any ideas of actual cars that might match up? Same wheel base, etc..

Then it could be a daily driver just as the new car might have been, etc.. And in an accident safe as new.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Mein Blower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
I was thinking of another project. Want an old car body style but new car drivability and all safety and comfort. Would it be possible to change the body only from one car to another. Say an '05 cadillac and a 55 cadillac? Just an example. So the interior and all modern things are still intact but the outside looks as it did before.

Anyone have any ideas of actual cars that might match up? Same wheel base, etc..

Then it could be a daily driver just as the new car might have been, etc.. And in an accident safe as new.
It's definitely possible. There are quite a few Corvette chassis under older cars, but it will get very expensive very quickly.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Kebrock
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Mein Blower
It's definitely possible. There are quite a few Corvette chassis under older cars, but it will get very expensive very quickly.
I would think that one would need crazy skills/knowledge and some very deep pockets.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a video of west coast custums doing just that with a 69 GTO over an 06 GTO, they have also done a 69 Charger over a 2007 Charger SRT-8 For a CSI actor. They have a pretty good handle on those conversions. Oh and they did a Chevelle 67 i think over a C5 for an extreme freestyle biker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwrq8MZtp0w
Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd love to do a '69 Camaro with an updated interior and frame.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I'd love to do a '69 Camaro with an updated interior and frame.
Not just updated interior and frame. The idea is to change just the outside body. So sitting inside you have a 2010 Camaro with all the modern performance and safety with the airbags, etc.. But from the outside it looks like a 69. That way the performance in every way is just as balanced and perfectly working as new.

The performance of the '10 would blow away the actual '69
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 AM
minitech
Safety Car

For my project I actually have an '05 Cadillac STS that is flawless as it is. It is the big brother to the CTS, larger and more luxury / less sporty. It is an outstanding car. But I was thinking it also would make a great donor for a body swap project.

I was looking into maybe doing a 1959 Cadillac body on top of it. The one with the big tail fins.

Does anyone have any ideas of what car body would go with the new STS?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Not just updated interior and frame. The idea is to change just the outside body. So sitting inside you have a 2010 Camaro with all the modern performance and safety with the airbags, etc.. But from the outside it looks like a 69. That way the performance in every way is just as balanced and perfectly working as new.

The performance of the '10 would blow away the actual '69
I dont like the new camaro interior though...
Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Kebrock
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

For my project I actually have an '05 Cadillac STS that is flawless as it is. It is the big brother to the CTS, larger and more luxury / less sporty. It is an outstanding car. But I was thinking it also would make a great donor for a body swap project.

I was looking into maybe doing a 1959 Cadillac body on top of it. The one with the big tail fins.

Does anyone have any ideas of what car body would go with the new STS?
It might be pretty tough to do....the '59 has a 130" wheelbase, while the '05 has a 116.4" wheelbase. The '59 is 225" long and the '05 is 196" long.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kebrock
It might be pretty tough to do....the '59 has a 130" wheelbase, while the '05 has a 116.4" wheelbase. The '59 is 225" long and the '05 is 196" long.
I was just looking those numbers up. One way to do it would be to just do a front and rear clip from the '59 on the '05 STS. Put wide chrome bezel around the stock windshield and back window so the new parts look like old. This would keep the entire passenger compartment and doors intact.

Anyone want to photoshop 1959 Cadillac 4 door front and rear clips on an '05 Cadillac STS? I know some people are geniouses with the photoshop and could do it. Red color if so!

Get notified of new replies

To "Restomod" project??

Quick Reply: "Restomod" project??