Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale
View Poll Results: which car?
Restore the Monte
0%
Buy a C5 Corvette
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Monte Carlo vs Vette

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monte Carlo vs Vette

Its no contest, right? Any day of the week, in any category except passenger capacity, a corvette will kick a monte carlo's a$$. This brings me to the dilemma I have been contemplating for the better part of a year now.

I am 23 years old, just graduated from college last year, was lucky enough to score myself a half-decent job in this economy, and now I'm getting antsy to buy myself a car. And not just any car, mind you, but a shiny new (old) C5 corvette. Like many others here, I grew up with the corvette as my dream car. I have the models, the posters, the books, etc. I am at the point where (I think) I can afford to get into a nice C5, which is really freakin awesome to me!

The only thing standing in the way, however, is my first car. Its a '79 Monte Carlo, older than me, but I've been driving it since I was 17 and its been in the family since new. Just rolled over 100k miles this past year. I've had a ton of fun in this car; alot of firsts, a ton of roadtrips, and more memories than I can begin to count. Plus, it was originally bought by my grandfather who passed away a couple years back, so there is that connection.

The downsides to this car are many. Anyone who has driven a bone-stock car from the late-70s (even a corvette) knows how slow these cars are. Gas mileage isnt great, it needs a paint job, and there are many little problems that are springing up that need attention. Overall though, its been a solid car for me. It starts up every single morning, even in the dead of winter, so I really cant complain about reliability.

Even if I don't do much of the work myself (which I'd be kidding myself if I said I was going to), I can restore this car to pretty nice shape and reasonably quick for less than the $20k I'm planning on spending on a corvette.

I love this car and I will miss it if I let it go. I've seen grown men close to tears thinking about their first car, and I'd hate to be one of those guys someday. Monte Carlo's have gotten sort of a reputation in recent years as being popular with the low-rider crowd, but if you can get past that, I honestly think its a decent looking car. For those of you unfamiliar with a 79 Monte (which I'm pretty sure is rarer than a corvette now), here is a picture of one.

I know you guys are biased here, but I'm interested in your opinions as to what you would do. I have no wife or kids right now, so I feel like now is the best time to have a vette. But on the other hand, I hate to see the monte go, and I have no storage space for two cars.

What do you think? (and sorry for the long post)
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to worry about winter driving, a Vette is not right for you. (And yes, I know what people say about taking a Vette out in snow, but it just ain't right goddamit!)
Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
If you have to worry about winter driving, a Vette is not right for you. (And yes, I know what people say about taking a Vette out in snow, but it just ain't right goddamit!)
I have driven the monte (RWD) in the snow, and honestly I dont see how a car with traction control and ABS can be worse than it. Managed to keep it on the road so far. My opinion is that if you understand the limits of the car, and don't try to exceed them, you will be fine. You see plenty of 4WD monsters in ditches in the snow, because they don't know their limits.

And also, my area is pretty developed. Its very rare that you have snow on the roads for more than a single day before they are cleared. I can find alternative transportation or just take it slow on those days
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njvetteguy1
I have driven the monte (RWD) in the snow, and honestly I dont see how a car with traction control and ABS can be worse than it. Managed to keep it on the road so far. My opinion is that if you understand the limits of the car, and don't try to exceed them, you will be fine. You see plenty of 4WD monsters in ditches in the snow, because they don't know their limits.

And also, my area is pretty developed. Its very rare that you have snow on the roads for more than a single day before they are cleared. I can find alternative transportation or just take it slow on those days
I could care less about RWD in snow, hell, I do that everyday, it's just the combination of the wide rear tires and low clearance that kills it for me. If you are happy with your Vette having the living chit eaten out of it by salt, then by all means, go ahead, but I personally wouldn't drive a Vette without having a winter driver.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

First of all - where do you live? It helps to make a suggestion, knowing which state in which you reside. If you live in Vermont, then no, a C5 is not the car to have unless it is one of two cars you can drive.

Regarding your Monte: I bought my first Corvette at 21 years of age. It was a 68 vert with 327-350 HP and like you, I had many fond memories in it and of it. After more than 21 years of ownership, I decided it was time to move on. I wish I could've kept it, but I had no room for it, a new 01 C5, and a "beater" for trips to less-than-nice places. For 21+ years I had some kind of beater as a partner to my 68. Yes, it was very hard to sell that car, but I'm glad I did. A real Corvette enthusiest bought it and takes good care of it. My dream of having a new car had finally come true and I won't ever regret making that decision.

Everyone has had a favorite car, but unless you are a wealthy car collector, it is usually in your best interest to move on with your life. As George Harrison said, "All things must pass."

I vote for your getting a newer car, even it's not a C5.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 AM
m and t's77
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Best of both worlds:Trailblazer SS
Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 AM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by m and t's77
Best of both worlds:Trailblazer SS
ehh, not an SUV guy, and that still wouldnt solve my problem about what to do with the Monte. I have considered something like a GTO or an F-body, but again, I don't have room for two cars, so I'd be getting rid of the Monte anyway, and if i'm gonna buy a newer car I really would like it to be a vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Monte Carlo vs Vette

Quick Reply: Monte Carlo vs Vette