Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Rebuild and Sell

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:20 PM
jonn127
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Rebuild and Sell

Have a question. Can anyone tell me why more often than not, it seems like a lot of cars for sale have rebuilt engines. Not just rebuilt, but newly rebuilt. Seems like I come across ads all the time that say, "less than xxxx miles on the new engine." Do people just decide its time to get rid of the money pit or why do cars that are for sale that have rebuilds always seem to be hardly any miles on the "new" engines?

Last edited by jonn127; 03-12-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I can tell you from experience that there seem to be very few "engine builders" out there who can build an engine that is as reliable as a factory engine. The first time I and a friend rebuilt a 327 engine, I had a local shop do the cylinder boring and head work. That work turned out to be poor at best and my engine consumed way too much oil.
Eventually, I decided to go with a nationally-known shop, figuring the big bucks I'd spend would mean long-life. Nope: The engine ran hot and never did seem to break in. When it started blowing blue smoke I finally took the advice of a local Corvette shop owner who advised me to buy a GM crate engine. He went to say that it'll be more potent than the 327 ever was and will last a long time. Shortly after I bought one, there was a good article about crate engines in Chevy magazine. One of the engineers who worked with the crate engines told the mag writer that the ZZ4 is easily a 100,000 mile engine - something I cannot believe can be achieved by a rebuilt engine.

So to answer your question, I believe that when a rebuild goes wrong, it is often followed by another rebuild and then a sale. I'm sure there are other reasons, but I'll bet this one is very common.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
jonn127
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

very interesting and helpful information, I appreciate it.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 AM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I gotta go the other way than Dave 68...with the feedback on rebuild or crate ..
I just finished a 1968 Chevelle that had the original 375 horse engine ..
I restore to make them back to new ..To go with a factory replacement would cut the value buy 30-40%
A good engine builder will do things that are not standard on some crate jobs ..like a true balancing job ..with all of the rotating assembly in place ..
The ZZ4 is a few steps up the ladder ,but I have seen many with an assortment of crank bearings ..instead of machining to match ..

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild and Sell