Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

))))camaro/Vette((((

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts
Default ))))camaro/Vette((((

saw the ultimate factory on the camaro the other night, really neat show. "BUT" they are pumping those babies out left and right. Drove by the local dealer today, had 35 camaros and 4 Vettes. Think they flooded the market and the coolness will wear off? I love the lines but just hate the back end. Cool concept dont know where it will be in 2 years tho? pAuL
Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

i guess we're not in Kansas anymore.
i do like the new Camaro....enough that i wouldn't mind one for a DD when the newness wears off. Althought my little Cobalt is just fine. I went to the local dealer last week and noticed there were 5 vettes and probably 10 Camaros. At least two of the new vettes were 2009 cars that the dealer was discounting heavily. Right now would be a great time to buy one if someone was in the market.

Not sure what this means for the future of either car, but the Camaro has been in production for a year now and i believe they have sold over 100,000 cars. I'm glad to see this, for GM 's sake plus its nice that people are excited about a GM product again. Hopefully they will continue to enjoy strong sales and take a bite out of the Mustang.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just can't warm up to the new Camaro. One of our Corvette club members bought one for a DD and he likes it just fine for his 40+mi. daily commute. He went clear to someplace in Tejas, Austin or Houston, 'cause local Chevy dealers wouldn't come off their "added value pricing," read "stick it to you" policy. Go figure!

Last edited by jackcasa; 03-24-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't care for the retro interior. However, I do like the front and most of the exterior. Not enough to buy though.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:25 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They are feeding and counting on yet more pent up demand. It's the same marketing model as in the late 60s....a relatively small number of the new Camaros will be high hp performance models. All the rest will be almost as heavy, just as ugly*, and sell for more than they are worth because of the halo effect of the small percentage that are performance.

* Now, if you think the car is attractive this is just my opinion. The thing looks, IMO, like a cartoon. But it's selling...and selling to people far younger than I am now (60).
Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM
ateam311
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HANNY
saw the ultimate factory on the camaro the other night, really neat show. "BUT" they are pumping those babies out left and right. Drove by the local dealer today, had 35 camaros and 4 Vettes. Think they flooded the market and the coolness will wear off? I love the lines but just hate the back end. Cool concept dont know where it will be in 2 years tho? pAuL
I have a few issues with all of this Camaro business:

1) The biggest issue is that we had to wait far too long for it to come out. It's my opinion that GM shouldn't have started kicking it around as early as they did (2006).

2) They're going to be busting *** to keep up with the Mustang (not a Ford guy myself, but that 2011 is looking to put some heat on the Camaro)

3) Dealers are still jacking up prices on them. Enjoy handing your wallet and soul over to buy a brand new 2SS with kick-*** options.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,674 Posts

I think they are sharp, but really large. They are almost as big as my jeep. Seriously...the tires are as big as my Jeep.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
BSheppard
Pro

I love the SS 6sp manual but the car feels BIG after a test drive in it and the Mustang. The little 4.6L in the stang was just as much fun and I'm sure the new 5.0 will be a home run for Ford. If I was buying (and I might be at the end of the year), I would go for the new Mustang.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

I drove the Camaro last weekend. I'm writing this with the perspective of a 6'8", 300 lbs. guy in mind.

Firstly, lots of room. Nice, well bolstered seats. Lose the sunroof, gain more headroom. You sit way down in it, and the car comes up around you. Any car that makes me feel small is okay in my book.

Secondly, sight lines out are not that bad. Didn't bother me at all.

Thirdly, pure, demonic, LS power. Always a good thing, no question. You definitely feel all of the 4,000 lbs. though. It's way too heavy, and if Ford got a brain and added a independent rear suspension to their upcoming Stang, it will give the Camaro a run for it's money. It's because of this weight actually that I am still pursuing a C6 despite the fact that I will have to pay more to make modifications to the seats to make me fit. The suspension is very nice, and it does handle, but it is just far too heavy for my tastes.

Lastly, the gauges and switch gear. I didn't have many problems getting used to the center stack, but I don't like the speedometer. Apparently, neither does GM as they have included a digital one in the Driver's Info Center smack dab between the speedo and the tach.

Overall, excellent amount of room, but the weight of the car along with the price, and ease of use of the gauges somewhat damper the experience for me. I'm still going after the Vette.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One dealer I read about is selling Calloway Camaros with about 576 HP with a supercharger. I wonder how this might be, but the base price is $55,000 and goes up to like $77,000 optioned out. A lot of money for an SS car in the what mid $35-40,000 range?

Kind of looks cool though. The things that bother me is the suspension and brakes are the same as the SS model, and it looks like the price goes from $55K to over $60K to upgrade those and the sway bars.

I'm thinking you would have to do more than just add the blower in order to make it handle decent and stop the car when you need to.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
I think they are sharp, but really large. They are almost as big as my jeep. Seriously...the tires are as big as my Jeep.
maybe a lower profile sidewall would help? And lower the damn thin gof course
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by beden1
One dealer I read about is selling Calloway Camaros with about 576 HP with a supercharger. I wonder how this might be, but the base price is $55,000 and goes up to like $77,000 optioned out. A lot of money for an SS car in the what mid $35-40,000 range?

Kind of looks cool though. The things that bother me is the suspension and brakes are the same as the SS model, and it looks like the price goes from $55K to over $60K to upgrade those and the sway bars.

I'm thinking you would have to do more than just add the blower in order to make it handle decent and stop the car when you need to.
The thing stops fine. Brembo sees to that. The problem is the 4000 lbs. trying to turn.

Get notified of new replies

To ))))camaro/Vette((((

Quick Reply: ))))camaro/Vette((((