Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Anyone Have a Chevy HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:23 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone Have a Chevy HHR?

Thoughts and opinions? I'm looking for a vehicle for my other half...the HHR would fit her needs.

RMX
Old 03-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 2 of them:
1. 2007 LT bought new. Drove it 40,000 in 2 years. At 35,000 the check engine light kept coming on. Knock sensor replaced. Ditto at 38K & 40K miles. The dealership was out in the sticks. Traded it on a Deville.
2. 2006 LT certified used - only $11K 25K miles - new tires - went through winter like a champ. No issues in 6K miles

Cliffs:
The 2007 had a nicer Pioneer sound system and I wish the 06 had the same. The 06 has 16" tires rather than the 17" on the 07. The 06 rides much nicer.

The HHR can haul lots of stuff and both of my units have got about 25 MPG in combined driving.

My only complaint is for trips the seats are a little lacking in support. This is only evident in long trips. I would buy another. I plan on giving my son my present unit in a year when he turns 16.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 AM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detail out what exactly your wife's needs are. Perhaps we can help you narrow it down or lead you to a better vehicle.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:46 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My leased Highlander is going back on 4/22/10.

She's buying something on her own (used) this time - price limit is $13k. We have an older bigger dog and she has to be able to jump up into the cargo area. The HHR and the Honda Fit both have nice low bumper clearance in the back. The Fit and HHR both allow the rear seats to fold down and leave a "flat" area. Fuel economy is also a concern. The Fit gets like 28 mpg in the city. Vehicle has to be reliable. The HHRs are inexpensive - you can get really low mileage 09 examples in the $12-13k range with some remaining warranty intact. 07 08 Honda Fits are in that range as well but as certified used with a limited warranty. The Fit is a abysmal on acceleration. I will be driving on occasion for trips to Lowes, Home Depot, etc. She hates the Highlander BTW.

Looked at: Dodge Caliber, Scions, etc.

RMX
Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Millenium 04
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The HHR is a peppy ride....it will also have much more interior room than an Fit. I do not hate on Hondas.....I really like my Civic!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Look into the Mazda3 Hatch and the Mini Cooper Clubman as well as the Ford Focus Hatch.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Look into the Mazda3 Hatch and the Mini Cooper Clubman as well as the Ford Focus Hatch.
Yah, the Mazda3 would be good if you can get past that horrible smiling grill. It looks like they took it straight out of the "Maximum Overdrive" movie. A Mazda salesman told me that they have toned down the smiling grill on all Mazdas for 2011.

Back to the subject at hand, I like the HHR and was looking into getting one but that was until I found out there were no SS's available in Canada. That is what I was told anyway.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Yah, the Mazda3 would be good if you can get past that horrible smiling grill. It looks like they took it straight out of the "Maximum Overdrive" movie. A Mazda salesman told me that they have toned down the smiling grill on all Mazdas for 2011.

Back to the subject at hand, I like the HHR and was looking into getting one but that was until I found out there were no SS's available in Canada. That is what I was told anyway.
No, no, get the older gen Mazda3. You might have to go slightly used, but it is far worth it. They are based on the same platform as the MX-5.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 PM
stlchevy97
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to mention the new mazda 3's are god awful ugly while the previous gen is pretty good looking

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Have a Chevy HHR?

Quick Reply: Anyone Have a Chevy HHR?