Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Cayman S

Drove my brother in law's Porsche Cayman S he bought as a daily driver, he's a huge Porsche guy, although generally I'm not a big fan of the P-car, I've got to give credit where its due, the car is a lot of fun to drive, very balanced and gets up on going effortlessly. doesn't look too girly like the Boxter and the Cayman's lines look much cleaner and flow better than the 911 in my opinion, I did tell him it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and that ended his offer for a cold one after the drive
Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

I like the sound of a flat six

Last edited by PeterK; 04-09-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:07 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

I took a Cayman S for an extended test-drive and got to push it very hard. I was pretty impressed, much more than I expected to be. I would pay a lot of money to get the steering feel and accuracy from the Cayman S on my C5Z. Power was adequate, the brakes were strong (though obviously I didn't get to push their limits the way a road course would).

I couldn't justify the price (the one I drove was more than a C6Z) but I did enjoy the car.

The Boxster/Cayman is really the better platform as compared to the 911s. The mid-engine balance is superb. However, Porsche politics keep the power down, and no "GT3" type model for the pure enthusiast.

-TJ
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 AM
BSheppard
Pro

IMO it is one of the best sports cars out there at the price point and I own a C6Z. The ones I have been in make up for the lack of performance with the fun to drive factor. If you have to have the best performance #s for your $'s, then the Vette can't be matched but if you are just looking for fun to drive the Cayman is a good choice. Does not hurt it is also a great looking car.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BSheppard
IMO it is one of the best sports cars out there at the price point and I own a C6Z. The ones I have been in make up for the lack of performance with the fun to drive factor. If you have to have the best performance #s for your $'s, then the Vette can't be matched but if you are just looking for fun to drive the Cayman is a good choice. Does not hurt it is also a great looking car.
I think they're decent looking but I can't handle one in light of the existence of the 911. As good as the Cayman is in terms of styling and power, the 911 is better. The best way to resolve the rear sloping roofline on the Cayman would have been to do it like the 911; that would look so much cleaner, but then why buy a 911?

Furthermore, the car is just begging for the 911's engines, and it can definitely handle them being mid-engined. However, why buy the 911? And that's the issue; the car is intentionally held down so as to maintain the flagship.

I considered one instead of the C6Z but the styling just doesn't do a lot for me in the rear... it's a car that needs, in my opinion, a drop/wheels/some sort of rear spoiler to look appropriate in back.

Also, just for fun, go ahead and mention the Cayman S in C6 General. You will get eaten alive.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Originally Posted by KMK454

Also, just for fun, go ahead and mention the Cayman S in C6 General. You will get eaten alive.

Why? They don't like them? What do they have against the Cayman S? The new PDK (I hate autos) did 0-60 in the low 4's. Seems like most would have shopped the Cayman since it is close in price to the C6.

ETA- Did a search and you are right they HATE it.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:00 PM
ls2alex
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice cars. Too bad theyre underpowered. They do feel better than the stronger 911s tho
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

I think they're decent looking but I can't handle one in light of the existence of the 911. As good as the Cayman is in terms of styling and power, the 911 is better. The best way to resolve the rear sloping roofline on the Cayman would have been to do it like the 911; that would look so much cleaner, but then why buy a 911?

Furthermore, the car is just begging for the 911's engines, and it can definitely handle them being mid-engined. However, why buy the 911? And that's the issue; the car is intentionally held down so as to maintain the flagship.

I considered one instead of the C6Z but the styling just doesn't do a lot for me in the rear... it's a car that needs, in my opinion, a drop/wheels/some sort of rear spoiler to look appropriate in back.

It's so funny how 'vette guys get so defensive about P-cars, particularly the Cayman. I think a lot of it probably has to do with the type of personality that generally buy 'vettes, maybe some of it is how much we all love our cars. The bottom-line is most 'vette owners, especially C6 owners can't stand the thought of Porsche's middle of the lineup model being a true contender with Chevy's flagship sports car.

The fact is the C6 is the faster car in every measure (or a C5Z for that matter). But the Cayman has some qualities that are hard to quantify. As a DD and occasional track day car it's a great choice for a lot of buyers.

I do agree, I can't warm up to the styling as much as the 911. And I'd have trouble owning one knowing the 911 is out there. I guess that's the 'vette owner ego I was referring to earlier. For whatever the reason our collective psyche has been conditioned to think the 911 is gorgeous and the epitome of performance.

If looked at entirely subjectively, outside of the decades of conditioning, the 911 is an awkward looking evolution of the VW Beetle. And it does amazing things defying the physics of its rear-engine platform, but it is an entirely flawed design to begin with.

You're certainly right about the engines though. As I pointed out before it's Porsche politics that keep the Cayman/Boxster underpowered as compared to their 911 stablemates.

Originally Posted by BSheppard
Why? They don't like them? What do they have against the Cayman S? The new PDK (I hate autos) did 0-60 in the low 4's. Seems like most would have shopped the Cayman since it is close in price to the C6.

ETA- Did a search and you are right they HATE it.
The new PDK is pretty amazing. I'm an old-fashioned shift my own gear type, but it's hard to deny the advantages of a well engineered and executed dual-clutch trans (insert GT-R trans braking jokes here).

I gave my entirely unscientific opinion on why C6 general hates the Cayman above. It's just my $0.02 but I think it's pretty accurate.

-TJ
Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

, but it is an entirely flawed design to begin with.

-TJ[/QUOTE]

Flawed design it is, but there's no denying it's engineered to perfection
Old 04-11-2010, 12:53 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteship
, but it is an entirely flawed design to begin with.

-TJ
Flawed design it is, but there's no denying it's engineered to perfection[/QUOTE]

Yup... it's pretty amazing what they've been able to engineer a VW bug into (just joking P-car fans, don't stone me to death). I know a few people that race 'em, and you certainly have to drive them very differently. But if you can master the 911 driving style they are seriously fast. A 997 GT3 is a great track-day car, but not for the faint of heart. The edge of its handling envelope is less accessible than that of a C6Z, which the mags like to say is a handful.

-TJ
Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
you certainly have to drive them very differently.

Neighbor has an early (non S) Cayman. It was a lot of fun to drive but his has had some issues w/ the rear main seal(so he says).
Old 04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Originally Posted by wildanblue

Neighbor has an early (non S) Cayman. It was a lot of fun to drive but his has had some issues w/ the rear main seal(so he says).
I think this was a 2006 and 2007 problem. Someone told me they fixed it in 2008? Anyone know if that is true?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Oil leaks of all sorts seem to plague P-cars.

-TJ
Old 04-17-2010, 08:43 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Can't deal with the maintaince ...and cost factor of repair..

the beauty of the corvette is that its faster and really inexpensive to own over time.

I dig the DSG type transmission the cayman S and it looks like a cool ride...

Just can't pass up on the performance of the vette for a cayman S and the price is over the top.

If you don't mind dropping the green for the car and the following maintaince and repair costs...Then go for it!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Tj-"I gave my entirely unscientific opinion on why C6 general hates the Cayman above. It's just my $0.02 but I think it's pretty accurate."
--------------------------------
I disagree with you. Im in C6 general alot. I own a C6 and dont "hate" the Cayman or any Porsche for that matter nor do many of the people who frequent there. I think your generalization of C6 General is off the mark by a wide margin.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I drove and considered a Cayman S as a DD and after driving them back to back the 335i was the better choice to me. Not a bad car, I just have a problem driving a car (cayman) that was designed to be less than it could be rather built to fill a market segment between a Boxster and a 911.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're checking out the Cayman S, also check out the BMW 135i with sport package.

Get notified of new replies

To Cayman S

Old 04-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

If you're checking out the Cayman S, also check out the BMW 135i with sport package.
pretty big price difference between the two, almost $30,000 difference. For that money he'd be better off with a 335i or even a low option M3.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I did, and bought one. M-Sport Package.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 PM
JLC629
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
I did, and bought one. M-Sport Package.
Well, lets see it, post 'em up.

Quick Reply: Cayman S