Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Crossfire as a daily driver, what say you

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Crossfire as a daily driver, what say you

I may have to replace my 93 Trans Am with 199,323 miles in the near future. I was thinking of a Crossfire as a daily driver. The owner comments on kellybluebook.com are all positive. The one I saw online had 35,000 miles for about $14,000. Anyone own one or has any feedback I would appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:30 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Friend of the family had a lease deal for 39 months...and I drove it...I really liked it..and for 14 grand...I'd say its a steal...

Just be aware the parts are mercedes underneath so could be pricey over time....

I believe it was based off the MB SLK 320 last generation....
Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

if you can get past the stigma they carry, I'm sure they would make a nice DD.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Friend of the family had a lease deal for 39 months...and I drove it...I really liked it..and for 14 grand...I'd say its a steal...

Just be aware the parts are mercedes underneath so could be pricey over time....

I believe it was based off the MB SLK 320 last generation....

"if you can get past the stigma they carry, I'm sure they would make a nice DD." - Corey 68
Yep, that's what scares me and why I was hoping for feedback. I have heard the SLK320 motor was not reliable and that is what scares me.

Yes I can get past the stigma, afterall I own a C4 and Trans Ams and all the stereotypes associated with them. My worry is if Chrysler will be around long enough to supply parts considering I keep my cars for long terms.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by prinzSD455; 04-19-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Generally speaking, the rarer the vehicle, the more scarce and expensive the replacement parts. I rarely see any of those cars here in San Diego, so my guess is that you will be running into parts "issues" should anything break or get damaged.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Friend has the supercharged version. He's real happy with it. I got to drive it once. It's not bad, but I don't like the visibility or lack of trunk space(my c5 beats this car in every way...)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
Yep, that's what scares me and why I was hoping for feedback. I have heard the SLK320 motor was not reliable and that is what scares me.

Yes I can get past the stigma, afterall I own a C4 and Trans Ams and all the stereotypes associated with them. My worry is if Chrysler will be around long enough to supply parts considering I keep my cars for long terms.

Thanks for the feedback.
1st off.. the V6 motors are pretty darn good. 2nd.. it's ALL mercedes so who cares if Chrysler is going to be around. 3rd.. there are TONS of mod stuff available should you ever decide to play with it.
Yes, the parts are a bit pricey.. but nothing close to porsche parts.

As for the car: They handle well, and drive nice. There aren't a ton of them on the road so you don't look like every other honda. It would make a nice dd as long as you're not spending all day in it. They're still a little "sporty" to be considered as a touring car.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
CA C6 Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chrysler is "obligated" to support the Crossfire for (at least) the short term. As soon as Fiat impacts vehicles/parts (and that will be soon, since most of Chrysler will turn into Fiat), Crossfire parts will become scarce. If you really want to chance getting a part from Mercedes, I'd say go for it. The pricing you are getting seems to be very agressive, for the car.

Keep in mind, just because the Crossfire is mostly a MB vehicle; you may find many MB dealerships unwilling to "help" you. I would call around and investigate which local MB (and even Chrysler) dealers can help you to support this vehicle. Because it would be a damn-shame purchasing this kind of vehicle and not get proper support for it. My 2-cents.

Last edited by CA C6 Fan; 04-22-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard of some pretty heavy discounts when they were new. One story was around $17K for a brand-new leftover model from the previous year. So what's that... $10K off list?

Seems to me you should be able to steal them on the used market. Slow sellers from new plus the uncertainty should equal bargains.

Get notified of new replies

To Crossfire as a daily driver, what say you

Quick Reply: Crossfire as a daily driver, what say you