Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Grand Marquis "Skipping"

Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grand Marquis "Skipping"

Hi!

The offending car is a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LX - 4.6 Liter.

In the course of a 1000 mile trip to the beach and back this car developed a "skipping" missing issue. It's most prevelent when crusing at a steady speed in any given gear. (It could be doing it under coasting or hard accelleration - but it's harder to notice).

The problem was progressive... it started as an occaisional "hiccup" while cruising and then got worse and worse. Now it's doing it all the time and is almost undrivable. But I would not quite call it "bucking".

The check engine light finally came on near the end of the trip during a particularly bad fit of sneezing. I plan to pull the codes on Wednesday, but fear the code might be from a reaction to the sneezing that was going on at the time - as opposed to the root cause.

It did something like this before, and as as I recall, it was something like a bad spark plug boot (or something) - a shop in Clorpus fixed it on a trip we took years ago. I forget now... (sigh)

-W

Last edited by Clams Canino; 04-26-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I would check the plug wires first, make sure they are all on and tight(pushed home) then if they are all tight check the ends of the wires for burning or corrosion.

Has the fuel filter ever been changed? or have the plugs even been replaced, these are both throw away items
Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Plug wires,02 sensor and finally maybe you got some bad gas along the way somewhere.My Lincoln acted like the motor was going to fall out all from a dose of bad gas.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Marquis "Skipping"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grand Marquis "Skipping"