Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

theoretically... (pontiac fiero)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Default theoretically... (pontiac fiero)

...could a pontiac fiero be made to outdo a (standard) C4 for looks and performance? What would it take?

yes, I know a modified vette would be a better choice, but I'm not really there yet (some day the fiero may be replaced by a vette, which will be modified, but until then I need inspiration) and it would suck to not do something to the fiero, seeing as that is half the fun of toy vehicles.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

This one probably moves pretty good. Keep the fire extinguisher handy though...ooohhhh. I had to.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Run into a lot of standard C4s, do you?

Google fiero v8 and go to town.

Of course, if it's go-fastiness you want, you're probably much better off starting with a Camaro.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 AM
PerKr
Racer

Originally Posted by Jinx
Run into a lot of standard C4s, do you?

Google fiero v8 and go to town.

Of course, if it's go-fastiness you want, you're probably much better off starting with a Camaro.
nah, haven't seen a lot of c4:s lately (this year I've counted 0 C4, 2 C5 and 1 C6 so far), just that I have to have a realistic goal. Besides, a C4 is on my "what do I look for if the fiero turns out to be boring and sad as hell" list
That and I would be (even more of) an idiot to try and make it on par with a standard C6
Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

v8 Archie... http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm
Bill
Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Thor 18
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

better off going with a 3800 from what i've seen. granted, i still need to finish my fiero.....when i do I'll let ya know how it moves
Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 PM
PerKr
Racer

So, I'd need about 250-300 hp from the engine for the straight-line performance, right? And if I want to embarass the local fart-can tribe in their rev-it-up-at-the-redlight ritual, it has to be a V8 (then again, I don't feel that need).

how about cornering? please tell me the C4 handles like a battleship in rough sea (really, I know it doesn't)?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:42 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the C4 was one of the first cars from the factory to break 1g on the skidpad...
Bill
Old 05-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have always thought that the Fiero was a chick's car.

Stick to corvettes, I think you will be a lot happier in the long run!
Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 PM
PerKr
Racer

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
I have always thought that the Fiero was a chick's car.
that was the first thing I was told at work and in standard form, you're right, it is a bit wimpy. I had a plan to fix that at the time I bought it though. Still do, sort of.

Stick to corvettes, I think you will be a lot happier in the long run!
Maybe. but I have to have some sort of project until I can afford a vette, right?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by PerKr
that was the first thing I was told at work and in standard form, you're right, it is a bit wimpy. I had a plan to fix that at the time I bought it though. Still do, sort of.

Maybe. but I have to have some sort of project until I can afford a vette, right?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
cyberslick18
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of dumping that money into your current car, hold onto it and make your vette that much closer.

You have no idea how many people say that they wish they had my c5, or my 2008 m5.

Most of the guys that say that are driving $5-8,000 cars with $10,000+ into the car. Those mods add up FAST, even the little ones, and unfortunately, very rarely do they add anything to the car value wise. This is usually why you see people parting out their performance cars when the time comes. If you add that up, you are at $15,000, thats already over the price of the vette.

I'd rather have a tuned out z06 in 3 years, than a tuned out fiero in 1 year, no offense or anything.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM
PerKr
Racer

from a logic standpoint you are right. My current goal is to get the damn thing on the street and have it running for at least two seasons before going to a different car. That should give me the time needed to test-drive a couple of C4's.

The problem I see with this reasoning is this:
what if the c4 isn't the leap it needs to be? or what if I decide there are things I want to do to it? well, maybe the c5 is better then. But what if I decide again there are things that need to be done to a C5 as well? might as well go with a C6. And if I don't stop there? If I ever own a C6 I will surely do my best to find things to modify and look for improvements.
I'm an engineer, and a curious one at that. I'm not likely to settle for a straight-out-of-the-box sort of experience when it comes to cars and guitars, that's just the way I am. So when I'm abandoning the fiero, it will be for a new project to work on.

edit to add: we're probably talking 10 years or so before a properly running vette is within reach (I'm expecting the C4's to appreciate in a couple of years) as I'm not about to repeat the mistake I made with the fiero (what was supposed to be just the e-brake needing adjustment turned into a lot more work just trying to get it on the road)

edit again: reading this, I'm coming across as an ***. I'm sorry. all I'm trying to say is that half the fun for me is figuring out what can be done to improve the ride I currently have and I don't want to spoil that part of it before-hand.

Last edited by PerKr; 05-13-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To theoretically... (pontiac fiero)

Quick Reply: theoretically... (pontiac fiero)