Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2011 Mustang GT a ZO6 eater?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM
smearig
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I have nothing against bikes, but I live in Los Angeles, so the last thing I'll ever buy is a bike. I have friends with bikes and they don't get to ride that much. Both my parents were bikers (that's actually how they met) and I still find nothing appealing about bikes other than they look cool and you can split lanes.
LA is a spectacular place to have a bike.

"Other than being unbeatable in terms of speed/$$, splitting lanes and looking cool I don't see the appeal."

Sounds like three really good reasons to buy one from where I'm sitting.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL! Don't paraphrase me if you're going to twist my words!

I don't care about the speed/dollar factor of a bike. I could build a 10 second '75 280z with an LS3 for about $8K, but would I really want to drive a sardine can that fast? No... Speed/dollar wouldn't matter to me if the ride is unsafe.

Lane splitting is a neat thing. In LA traffic, it's the only redeeming feature of a bike. But I don't drive during the day, so it's not a high priority.

Bikes look cool, but they don't look NEARLY as cool to me as a C5Z. So it's an easy decision: "Safer, cooler looking vehicle I can putt around in, put stuff in the truck, and drive in the rain, or super fast lane splitter I can easily kill myself on and put whatever I can carry in a backpack, but it costs 1/3rd the price... Decisions, decisions."
Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Not sure if I posted in this thread before but if I didn't.....

Amateur driver- Auto GT
Pro driver- Z06
Anything in between- drivers race with the more experienced drivers favoring the Z, and less favoring the GT

This is 1/4 mile of course. Adding curves I don't think there would be (should be) any reason the Z has to worry.

Just my opinion, of course. If there are any bone stock/mostly stock Z06s that frequent SAR my friend has a 2011 GT that we could settle this with

A noob would be good btw My friend has only been to the track twice and has less than 10 runs total under his belt

Last edited by tail_lights; 12-22-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:06 AM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Just my opinion, of course. If there are any bone stock/mostly stock Z06s that frequent SAR my friend has a 2011 GT that we could settle this with
I'll be back once I get my wheels + tires. I'd like to see your car running down the strip too!

I'm still fairly close to stock. I'll even run the 7s Maxima if it's ready!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:03 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ysb02
I'll be back once I get my wheels + tires. I'd like to see your car running down the strip too!

I'm still fairly close to stock. I'll even run the 7s Maxima if it's ready!

Sweet, let me know. I'm sure we can set up something.... As for the Maxima, uhhhhh.... They are dropping in the motor (again, at least the 5th time I've heard that story) so needless to say its not ready... yet
Old 12-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I care about my interior AND I go to the strip. HOWEVER, I actually really like my C5's interior. To this day I don't get why guys complain so much about the interior of Corvettes. Compared to my 300zx, 02 Trans Am and 97 Formula, C5s have excellent interior.

What I suspect is that it's old farts that also have a daily driver Infiniti or Cadillac that get into the Corvette and go "Where's my heated seats? Where's my super heavy ultra luxurious seat coolers and ball holders?" Oh no! A sports car built for the track?! No.... Just be happy you get A/C and a power driver's seat!

And I stopped reading magazine performance comparisons because they're full of crap anyway. For them to compare two cars in a performance aspect and then choose the slower more comfortable one as a winner, it's clear that the loser's manufacturer paid good money for the win. Magazines are corrupt. No point in reading them anymore. You want to see who's faster? Look at the leader boards. They pulled that crap with the Camaro/Challenger/Mustang comparison too, and the Challenger won for comfort... Good thing those things are slow and built like ****.
Actually, the biggest beef with the C5s and C6s is with the driver seat's lack of latteral support. Testers have to brace their knees against the door because the seats can't prevent them from sliding over. This gets to be tiring on the track and is not required in other sportscars.
The other criteria that is often emphasized is the "fun" factor on the street. The Z06 is often downgraded because while it "comes alive" on the track, its steering feel on the street is lacking compared to cars like the most Lotus and Porsche models, and even the Mazda RX8 and MX5.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I've never driven an RX8 or MX5 or even a Lotus. I will say that I like the steering in my C5. I liked the steering in the C4 a lot too... It felt like I was driving a go-kart.

But I do agree with you about the seats. I'm still in awe how the C5 coupes and verts got better (more supportive) seats than the Z06. The Z06 got 1/4 bench seats really. There's no bolsters an lumbar support is a joke. I slide around in the seats going straight! LOL At some point I plan to get some nice supportive seats, but at the moment it's not high on the priority list.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Surprisingly, I thought my C5s steering was great until I drove a Mazda Protege ES (now my daughter's car) and an MX5. The steering response and feel of each is noticeably better.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave68
Surprisingly, I thought my C5s steering was great until I drove a Mazda Protege ES (now my daughter's car) and an MX5. The steering response and feel of each is noticeably better.
Hard to imagine, actually. LOL

I've driven so many cars, and the C5Z's steering feels spot on.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Dave68
Race Director

My C5's steering is certainly better than any of the other cars I have driven before the aforementioned Mazdas. My C5 tracks as straight as a laser and has a reasonably quick ratio but even with an auto tranny, that Protege ES's steering makes driving the car very entertaining (fun). It transmits road surface irregularities better and has a quicker steering response (45-series tires).
If you ever get a chance, drive an MX5 on some tight, twisty roads. You'll probably want to have both the Z and the MX since each one rewards in completely different ways.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

heard from some people that the mustang gt manual got some serious problem, so does it really have a problem? some said it's fine some said it does have problem. should I get a GT or not?
Old 10-08-2011, 11:55 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Holy crap. Thread from the dead.

IB4TL...

But in the mean time, there were issues with the manuals not staying in 3rd and 4th. They may have ironed out that issue though. I know someone who had this problem as well, but if you go on youtube and look up Mustang 5.0 Transmission, I'm sure you'll find videos of exactly what happens.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
04goatman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok guys I hear a lot of opinions and I am a true GM fan but Ford has built a great car in the 2011 -2012 mustang. Its fast is a good handling car and it has great drivability. Also remember when it comes to a race you have to remember that the stang has a solid axle, which is much better for hooking up in a drag race, and when you have different surfaces (street) the Vette has independent and of course can wheel hop, or spin quicker. The vette also has much more on the low end when it comes to power so you have to be careful on the launch or you will spin. So that said in out of the hole / from dig situations you might want to make sure that you know how to hook up. The stang is easier to launch than a vette but the vette has the advantage when it comes to mid range & top end. The stang will have to play catch up. So on the strip / street, if you are racing a stang make sure that you can make that vette hook or its gonna be fail unless you have some road to make up. I don’t agree that the 2011-2012 stangs equal the c5 z06 in handling and drag racing, but I do believe that they can given some seat time and the correct mods, stock c5's better beware.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM
ignatkor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to forever ago lol. I red the entire thread again and it is funny to see posts claiming that 01z06 would be faster, after it has been proven many times that stock for stock 2011 5.0 with 3.73 edges out 01z06. I guess some vette owners were in a big denial at that time.lol

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT a ZO6 eater?