Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ferrari F458 Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
I know the Porsche typically beats a ZR1 on the street from a stop... My focus was with the seriously high trap speed in particular. Let's get one thing straight - a 500 hp Porsche is NOT trapping 134 mph. If it were, it is certainly not doing it with 500 crank hp, and especially not with 3400 lbs. Now with the Ferrari, I also believe it not to be able to trap that high with only 560 hp. Could be wrong with this new tranny in effect, but I still have my doubts.

For the record, vehicle launch does not significantly change trap speeds. A ZR1 trapping 134 with a terrible launch will likely trap about the same with a perfect launch. Main difference will be it will cross the finish line sooner with a better launch. Not so much at a higher speed.

I only doubt a 134 mph trap with a 560 horsepower 3400 lb car. That's all that stands out to me. I dispute the power specs more so than the times.

Looks like a very advanced car either way... I kind of hope it really is doing this trap with only 560 hp. That can only mean MUCH faster acceleration in future cars. In a few years, you might be able to grab a used 458 Italia for about a hundred grand less than MSRP. Depending on mileage of course. Then I might buy one!

- Bryan
Since the coefficients of drag for the ZR1 and the 458 seem pretty close as do the published weights, do you think the advantages accruing from a seven speed gear box might be the difference maker. From the drag equations, it is apparent that you need a lot more horsepower to realize higher speeds as the velocity increase, but perhaps the difference in gearing can adequately make up for the difference in HP at 1/4 mile speeds.

The other question is how much down force do the respective cars bring to the table at the speeds involved. Down force is commonly discussed when talking about Ferraris, but not so much when you talk about vettes, yet it has to be present as part of a well designed car, which the ZR1 most certainly is. Down force can have a huge impact upon top speeds, but again, I don't profess to have a clue how much down force these cars would have at 134 MPH and its impact upon HP requirements.

All of these toys are certainly remarkable vehicles.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

I will say that shifting can have an affect on trap speed. Take a look some of the best drag racers of stock cars on this board, Jamie, Ranger, Kyle (blownlt1&c6z). They have the ability to get some very high trap speeds out of stock cars and they do it with very percise quick shifts. When I co-drove a ZR1 with Ranger at a track rental he was able to trap 2-3mph higher than me even if I turned in a better ET. So I could see how the 458's transmission might help with higher trap speeds too.

Now with that said, I will reserve my judgement until a few more test have been done. There is a bit of a history of Ferraris not turning in the same acceleration numbers as when they are under Ferrari's strict control like this test.

Last edited by racerns; 09-01-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Let's get one thing straight - a 500 hp Porsche is NOT trapping 134 mph. If it were, it is certainly not doing it with 500 crank hp, and especially not with 3400 lbs.
Yes, but even the published 128 mph trap speeds for the 997TT PDK are on the high side for 500 hp/3500 lbs/AWD. I think the issue is that, with a 7 speed PDK, these cars are spending much more time near their peak torque output than they ever would with 6 wider spaced ratios.

Now with the Ferrari, I also believe it not to be able to trap that high with only 560 hp. Could be wrong with this new tranny in effect, but I still have my doubts......I only doubt a 134 mph trap with a 560 horsepower 3400 lb car. That's all that stands out to me. I dispute the power specs more so than the times.
Agreed....134 is hard to believe, as was C&D's 128 trap for the Porsche. But....again, super short gearing and sub 100 millisecond shifts allow the car to basically always be near peak torque in the RPM band, so time will tell if others can duplicate this feat.

With the inevitable proliferation of these types of drivelines....the broad torque curve of the LS9 becomes a bit less of an advantage in the numbers game, though NOTHING will ever replace the feel of strong "in gear" acceleration of a large FI motor.

Last edited by DoctorV8; 09-01-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I like these new transmissions from a performance standpoint. I'll never lose the love of a classic stick-shift, but the F1 style setups are growing on me. The incoming 7 speeds definitely seem to be the hot item in the upcoming supercars.

I drove a PDK 911 turbo, and I have to say I really did like the way it felt when going through the gears. (fastest shifts I've felt before). I didn't go too wild with it, but from 20 mph, to 120, it was extra nice. I still love the ZR1 for the sound, and raw thickness of power in virtually any RPM. I didn't get that with the Porsche. What I gained in powerband, I gave up in interior quality. As you can see, the trade-off didn't bother me that much.. haha

So, with the 458 Italia, a 9,000 rpm redline and that small displacement v8, it seems like it would be necessary to have that aggressive 7 speed & gearing to have an edge over the supercar world. With a 6 speed, I'd think it would be too long for it to be in the "sweet-spot" for enough % of the gearing to be competitive. Aside from that, I like the sound of almost a 9,000 rpm anything...

- Bryan

Last edited by CrystalRedMetal ZR-1; 09-01-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's get one thing straight - a 500 hp Porsche is NOT trapping 134 mph. If it were, it is certainly not doing it with 500 crank hp, and especially not with 3400 lbs. Now with the Ferrari, I also believe it not to be able to trap that high with only 560 hp. Could be wrong with this new tranny in effect, but I still have my doubts.

I only doubt a 134 mph trap with a 560 horsepower 3400 lb car. That's all that stands out to me. I dispute the power specs more so than the times.

In a few years, you might be able to grab a used 458 Italia for about a hundred grand less than MSRP. Depending on mileage of course. Then I might buy one!

- Bryan
On your first issue of questioning Horsepower. I think your on the money! I believe these cars are under rated as far as HP goes.

Your comment about picking one up in a few years is a common comment that applies to Corvettes but definitely not Ferrari's. In a few years you may be able to get one for MSRP. I've been blackmailed too many times by Ferrari dealers who say that if you want a new car, you have to buy something you don't want from them. Then you can lose money selling it back to them. Then they will put you on a long waiting list for the car you wanted in the first place. Look at e-bay prices. They hold up quite well. I've been trying to buy a new Ferrari for years now. Of course this subject ties in to the manual trans (F1) issues. Many of these customers (not all) aren't really car enthusiasts. Many just have a bunch of money (or credit) and want the status symbol to take for a Sunday drive. In my area two people have killed themselves in Ferraris and one burned up in a new 458 in the past 18 months.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FIRSTC6Z06
On your first issue of questioning Horsepower. I think your on the money! I believe these cars are under rated as far as HP goes.
"underrating" horsepower is unlikely in the modern era. Since automakers started using the SAE J1349 several years ago, HP numbers are much more reproducible and accurate.

http://www.sae.org/certifiedpower/

The more likely culprit here is either a "ringer" test car, and/or suspect timing equipment/conditions. Automobile's numbers are but one point on the upcoming data curve....time will tell if others reproduce the 134 trap.

in my area two people have killed themselves in Ferraris and one burned up in a new 458 in the past 18 months.
The 458 fire issue has been well documented, and is apparently the subject of a new recall...not related to driver error...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296152
Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
Yes, but even the published 128 mph trap speeds for the 997TT PDK are on the high side for 500 hp/3500 lbs/AWD. I think the issue is that, with a 7 speed PDK, these cars are spending much more time near their peak torque output than they ever would with 6 wider spaced ratios.

Agreed....134 is hard to believe, as was C&D's 128 trap for the Porsche. But....again, super short gearing and sub 100 millisecond shifts allow the car to basically always be near peak torque in the RPM band, so time will tell if others can duplicate this feat.

With the inevitable proliferation of these types of drivelines....the broad torque curve of the LS9 becomes a bit less of an advantage in the numbers game, though NOTHING will ever replace the feel of strong "in gear" acceleration of a large FI motor.
What trap speed do you expect for the 997TT PDK? Are you comparing it to cars with similar outputs/wt and with similar transmissions? If not then, you can't say with any certainty that power output is the defining difference.
A Panamera Turbo traps 118-119 mph, which is close to what Gen 2 and early Gen 3 Vipers trapped at. And it weighs 1000 lbs more.
Being near peak torque is one issue, but so is the shift itself: full throttle, no lift, no loss of boost.

Check this acceleration chart of the GT-R, 997TT manual, and the ZR1:

The green lines indicate the increments where the manual-transmission cars must re-cover the speed they lost due to the shifts. During this period, they have gained zero net mph, but they are still rolling toward the 1/4 mile mark. The GT-R, on the other hand, loses no speed (though its acceleration decreases slightly in this test); it continues to accelerate toward the quarter mile even during the shifts.
Other tests have shown no dip in acceleration for the GT-R, as we see there. In some tests of DCT-equipped cars in their sportiest transmission settings, there can actually be a spike in acceleration as the car, on full throttle, is briefly jolted by the rotational inertia of the engine at peak power. You can see it in this chart of the newer PDK-equipped Boxster S (blue) vs Z4 (red), with the old Cayman S imposed (in yellow).

The Cayman has stronger in-gear acceleration, but it's clearly losing time and speed on each shift to the PDK Boxster.

See also this test of manual vs DCT-equipped Mitsubishi Evos:
"It takes an average of about 0.37 seconds to make an upshift happen [in the manual car], and you'll lose about 0.9 mph in the process. Meanwhile, the paddle-shift MR is pulling away..."

As for downforce, here are the downforce figures obtained by German mag Sport Auto in the same windtunnel, along with in-gear performance data:
Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Automobile's numbers are but one point on the upcoming data curve....time will tell if others reproduce the 134 trap.
Italian Magazine Quattroruote was pretty close. 132.2 mph in 0-400m. I do think Automobile's result will be at the high end though, and cool testing conditions can easily account for that.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Guibo
What trap speed do you expect for the 997TT PDK? Are you comparing it to cars with similar outputs/wt and with similar transmissions? If not then, you can't say with any certainty that power output is the defining difference.
When you consider that the average stock 6 speed 997TT would trap in the 118-120 mph range with marginally less power than the 997.2, an 8-10 mph trap speed bump is indicative of far more than just a small power increase. It's all in the transmission. Launch control, more gears, and faster shifts. R&T even tested a 2010 997TT with the new DI motor, but a 6 speed, and only trapped 121, which is about what I was expecting.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...37f15cd095.pdf
Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

When you consider that the average stock 6 speed 997TT would trap in the 118-120 mph range with marginally less power than the 997.2, an 8-10 mph trap speed bump is indicative of far more than just a small power increase. It's all in the transmission. Launch control, more gears, and faster shifts. R&T even tested a 2010 997TT with the new DI motor, but a 6 speed, and only trapped 121, which is about what I was expecting.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...37f15cd095.pdf
Agreed. Yep, that's the test I used for my first chart. Factor in ~1 mph lost for each shift to the 1/4 mile for the manual Turbo and you're looking at 3 seconds for a PDK-equipped car. 124 mph is close enough to what this customer got with his own private car (125.9):
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...tt-vboxed.html

The Italian magazine Auto recorded 127.4 in 0-400m with their PDK equipped Turbo. Another Italian mag, Automobilismo, recorded 126.6. Evo, from Britain, recorded 125.5 on a wet surface. These minor differences are likely due more to variables in conditions rather than "ringer" engines.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisducati
Let's summarize as to why the 458 could be quicker than the ZR1 even with an inferior power to weight ratio:

1) Effective launch control combined with the engine over the drive wheels. (Yes, 2010 ZR1 has launch control, but still challenged with front engine/rear drive).

2) Dual clutch gearbox and super fast shifts as noted by another post.

3) Much lower gearing--all Corvettes, including ZR1, are geared very tall.

I currently own a Nissan GTR, ZR1, and Audi R8 V10. All great cars--IMHO it is neck and neck between the GTR and ZR1 for #1 value in the supercar market. As another post says, $250K buys you a bunch of cool stuff.
Those are nice cars. I would like to ride in one to see first hand! Congrats on your collection!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

The 458 fire issue has been well documented, and is apparently the subject of a new recall...not related to driver error...
I'm aware of the recall.

I wish someone would "Well Document" how Ferrari dealers are blackmailing customers by making them buy what they don't want to get something they do want. It's pathetic.

My point was that many Ferraris are purchased by people for status only with no idea how to handle the car at speed. Of the two that died in my area recently in Ferrari's, one was an 18 yr. old kid who's parents gave him the car. He had absolutely no experience driving high performance cars of any type.

Two weeks ago I was at the local post office and parked next to a new black F599. It didn't have license plates yet. The pretty blonde who was driving the car put her baby in a front car seat before pulling away like she was driving a caddy. Not a bad car for hauling the kid around to run errands.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:33 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Agreed. Yep, that's the test I used for my first chart. Factor in ~1 mph lost for each shift to the 1/4 mile for the manual Turbo and you're looking at 3 seconds for a PDK-equipped car. 124 mph is close enough to what this customer got with his own private car (125.9):

The Italian magazine Auto recorded 127.4 in 0-400m with their PDK equipped Turbo. Another Italian mag, Automobilismo, recorded 126.6. Evo, from Britain, recorded 125.5 on a wet surface. These minor differences are likely due more to variables in conditions rather than "ringer" engines.
Another factor here for the magazine tests is the fact that the PDK has been even further improved recently in the newest cars and for the record, there are 3 modes for the transmission. In the "Sport Plus"(racing) mode, the trans mapping is altered for max use of HP. and TQ when shifting. Magazines I have seen do not specify which mode the car has been in, so we could see very different results from different tests. In standard drive mode the car gets better mileage and doesn't hold shifts. In the middle "sport" mode the mapping changes for the enthusiast driver and it is a noticeable difference. Revs immediately jump but the car still has reserves untapped until you get to "Sport PLUS".

Porsche has now come out with the Turbo"S" that is all the time 530HP, however, if the test (whether a Turbo or Turbo "S") is in California where it is difficult to find 93 octane fuel, the car may be producing less than max power (on 91 that is available) which becomes another variable aside from conditions like air temp.

I would like to see a test that confirms all conditions, fuel, air temp and trans. settings for the PDK in a Turbo "S" with 530 HP all the time. It could be even quicker at full max. octane and sport plus PDK mode than prev. tests.....or not?

Last edited by FIRSTC6Z06; 09-02-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by FIRSTC6Z06
I'm aware of the recall.

I wish someone would "Well Document" how Ferrari dealers are blackmailing customers by making them buy what they don't want to get something they do want. It's pathetic.

My point was that many Ferraris are purchased by people for status only with no idea how to handle the car at speed. Of the two that died in my area recently in Ferrari's, one was an 18 yr. old kid who's parents gave him the car. He had absolutely no experience driving high performance cars of any type.

Two weeks ago I was at the local post office and parked next to a new black F599. It didn't have license plates yet. The pretty blonde who was driving the car put her baby in a front car seat before pulling away like she was driving a caddy. Not a bad car for hauling the kid around to run errands.
My attempt at buying an F430 was not a lot of fun. I plunked 10K down at Ferrari of Washington (DC) as a deposit for an F430 in December of '04 and was number 28 on the waiting list to buy a car at MSRP. I was told the wait was 3-4 years at most. At the time, the salesmen told me that there were ways to get the list to move faster. When I asked specifically what he meant, he told me that should I buy a used F car from their dealership, they considered "loyalty" as a means to get things to happen sooner. Indeed, I received a substantial number of calls, always for a used Ferrari at ridiculous prices.

Four years into the program, I had gone from 28 to 3 on the list. Then I was told that the 430 Stradales didn't count against my number and that I would have at least another year to wait. At this time, the 458's were starting to reach fruition as was the collapse of the financial world as we knew it. I started having concerns at that time about the dealer being financially secure, so I called and asked if my deposit of 10K was in an escrow account. I was told that it was not, indeed, it was in their operating account. I became concerned and asked that my deposit be returned, and the dealer did so promptly.

In hindsight, I probably should have stayed on the list and would have been eligible for a 458 at MSRP, although at this point, I don't care enough to plunk down the coin to make the purchase. Moreover, who knows how many more years it would have taken to finally get the car.

Last edited by vette6799; 09-02-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ZOsixTT
The 7 speed dual clutch may help lower the ETs, but the trap speed shows the power the car is making. I just dont see how a 560hp car can trap at 134 mph.

Tuned nissan gtrs that run high 10s, with a dual clutch transmission trap between 128 and 132 and they are making 550 at the wheels.
I agree, it doesn't add up.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a GTR and have to admit the PDK is a monster and extremely efficient. Too bad it is just so damn expensive. Like the 911 but still an overrefined ill designed car. Thats why they don't make the cayman more powerful or they would not sell an overpriced 911. With the F1 boxes these cars just use the powerbands so efficiently and they will never miss a shift. Very repeatable performance.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

While those times might have been accomplished -- I don't believe the claimed specs of the car. If they did in-fact achieve those times, then the manufacturer is not accurately representing the car's power. How would this make any sense? 562 hp (much less than a ZR1), pulling 3400 lbs of weight (more than a ZR1), and getting 134 mph trap speeds? (higher than average ZR1) Where does it pull the top-end from? I think the specs were fudged or something, but that's just me. Who knows, maybe this thing's gearing is god-like, but I will be skeptical until more info surfaces. Would love to see a dyno also. :P

At the very least, under-rated power. I'd say likely a tad over 600...

- Bryan
Engine over the rear tires + better transmission + better engine management.

Get notified of new replies

To Ferrari F458 Road Test

Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 AM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

So what your saying is if the Z had this type trans and GM did it right then A Z could possible be trapping 137ish?

Last edited by tomsws6; 09-03-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tomsws6
So what your saying is if the Z had this type trans and GM did it right then A Z could possible be trapping 137ish?
Yes, it's possible.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I opened up that link to 6 speed and now have a nasty redirect virus...

Quick Reply: Ferrari F458 Road Test