Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Won't accelerate at times

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM
1dog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Won't accelerate at times

Told my neighbor I would ask the question here because The Forum has so many knowledgeable people. They have an older Ford Taurus that at times when you press the accelerator to speed up the car remains at the same speed. If you are in cruise control though the car will act normal and accelerate when you push the button to accelerate or resume speed. Mechanic at a shop told them they need a new transmission.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 AM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

They likely do need a new tranny. Check the color of the fluid on the dip stick. Probably it will be very black and smell burned. It should be a reddish color if things are normal. A fluid flush might make things a little better but from the description it sounds like big $$$$$.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I would say that it may be worthwhile to get a second opinion, but most likely, it is the tranny. I recommend that if the owner wants to keep the car that he or she does not have the tranny rebuilt at the shop. A factory-rebuilt/refurbished tranny has all the latest updates and will most likely last far longer than a home-tranny rebuild.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
03clyde
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave68
I would say that it may be worthwhile to get a second opinion, but most likely, it is the tranny. I recommend that if the owner wants to keep the car that he or she does not have the tranny rebuilt at the shop. A factory-rebuilt/refurbished tranny has all the latest updates and will most likely last far longer than a home-tranny rebuild.
+2

Get notified of new replies

To Won't accelerate at times

Quick Reply: Won't accelerate at times