Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 04:57 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Who said I'm focused on # of cylinders? The Number of pistons mean nothing. It's the stroke volume and bore dimension that is key.
OHV engines have the camshaft below the cylinder head, and thus use lifters and pushrods to help actuate the valves that are in the cylinder head. Compared to OHC engines, they allow for better packaging, but are less efficient compared to OHC designs due to increased valvetrain mass. To open a valve, the camshaft pushes on a lifter, which pushes a pushrod, which pushes on a rocker arm, which opens the valve. OHC engines don't have the weight of the pushrod to overcome. While the weight of a pushrod & lifter is seemingly insignificant, when you consider it can account for more than 15% of the valvetrain mass, and it has to open a valve up to 6000 times a minute (or more), it adds up to measurable difference. It's all about inertia - the less weight it has to move, the less energy is required to open the valve, and thus, there is more energy that can be transferred to the crankshaft - meaning more HP to the wheels.

Should I continue?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Are you really comparing an engine (LS1) that was designed in the early 1990's to one 15-20yrs later (370Z)??

All that has zero to do with the the number of cams and more with the heads. You do realize they make 4v per cylinder OHC engines that make as much power. Key to power is head air flow, It doesn't matter how it's done, but the engine that can achieve the largest volume of air the fastest (as well as utilize this air) will make the most power.

OHC have direct advantages to DOHC, weight and size, and packaging are among the most important. I love how many think OHC engines are "new technology" and OHV are "dinosaurs" when SOHC/DOHC engine have been around since the late teen's/early 1920's.

Each has its place, to think other wise shows ignorance.
Just want to prove that a pushrod motor is not always lighter!

Mopar V8:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/moparv8.html

Honda V8

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/mugenv8.html
Old 10-11-2010, 12:21 AM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Who would win? The one with the most $$$$$ of course. A better question would be, who with win within a set budget, say $10,000.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 AM
kageryu311
Pro

Originally Posted by motogib1
Who would win? The one with the most $$$$$ of course. A better question would be, who with win within a set budget, say $10,000.
That wouldn't be even either way, because the ZR1 is still $20k more than the GT-R. A $110k car with 10 grand in it vs an $85K car with $10k in it.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by motogib1
Who would win? The one with the most $$$$$ of course.
This.

Both cars are exceptional in performance. There's no denying that. However I would make the debate as realistic by comparing the cars, mod for mod. Both cars have forced induction, so it is pretty comparable that they will both respond well to a simple intake and exhaust. Couple that, with suspension mods and see which one comes out better in a battery of tests like slalom, 1/4 mile, 0-60 etc. I think that's as fair as that gets.

-Alex
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Zr1 would win. no question about it. A modified Z06 would win too.
no contest when modds com in to play
Old 10-11-2010, 07:06 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crwtrans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAmLc75S39k

Boy I swear, that mighty(supercharged) V10 is fast!
its funny how you actually think that Viper has a supercharger, that Viper at most had an exhaust
Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

I wasn't comparing any specific car. The point is, displacement has less relevance when forced induction is introduced.
Actually it does, I have to run 16lbs of boost on my 306 fox to make 620 rwhp, and that is with a D1SC procharger(which is much more effeciant the the P1SC so its actually like running 20+)a boosted V-10 would need about 6lbs to make that power, at 16ps1 a V-10 Viper would be over 1000hp.
I like all fast cars and am not brand loyal, and think running small engines and getting big power is a great feat, but fact is fact.
The smaller engines also have to work much harder, to make big power, stressing all the internals of the motor.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
The smaller engines also have to work much harder, to make big power, stressing all the internals of the motor.
2JZGTE

-Alex
Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Actually it does, I have to run 16lbs of boost on my 306 fox to make 620 rwhp, and that is with a D1SC procharger(which is much more effeciant the the P1SC so its actually like running 20+)a boosted V-10 would need about 6lbs to make that power, at 16ps1 a V-10 Viper would be over 1000hp.
I like all fast cars and am not brand loyal, and think running small engines and getting big power is a great feat, but fact is fact.
No it doesn't! The number on cylinders will not determine the amount of power you make! So you're telling me that a 5.0 liter 4cyl will make less power than a 3.0 V8? Secondly, head design plays an important role in determining the efficiency a motor. Take for instance an M3 motor(2002-08). They make over 500rwhp with 8psi of boost. The head design of an M3 flows more cfm than an ls1 or C6 vette stock(I've tested). Third as I expressed earlier, DOHC motors have a significant advantage of pushrod setups, because you are able to control intake and exhaust timing! This is why I expressed earlier that you can not find a motor with equal displacement making the same or more power than a DOHC setup.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
This.

Both cars are exceptional in performance. There's no denying that. However I would make the debate as realistic by comparing the cars, mod for mod. Both cars have forced induction, so it is pretty comparable that they will both respond well to a simple intake and exhaust. Couple that, with suspension mods and see which one comes out better in a battery of tests like slalom, 1/4 mile, 0-60 etc. I think that's as fair as that gets.

-Alex
The GTR will produce greater results because it is turbocharged opposed to being supercharged. Spending 1000 on a gtr nets you close to 100hp and 100lbft of torque with a simple Cobb ecu upgrade. Look on the first page and see the results of two similarly powered cars.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

You guys are kidding right?

Uhm.. there are quite a few supercharged STOCK C5's in the low 10's, even high 9's, a BONE STOCK C5 Z06 in the high 9's with a TTI X kit and an auto conversion.

I would hope with all of the technology the GTR has that it can go low 9's.. besides thats on RACE gas.

Limit the cars to PUMP gas and the advantage of the extra cubes is obvious.

This will be even more interesting when the C7 DPI engine comes out
Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
a BONE STOCK C5 Z06 in the high 9's with a TTI X kit and an auto conversion.
This statement is self-contradictory. Any if you mean his engine wasn't forged the I bet he was using race gas, or he is crazy.

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
You guys are kidding right?
This will be even more interesting when the C7 DPI engine comes out
You mean direct injection? Its not DPI. Its just DI. We already have port injection. Also, if you haven't noticed, no DI engine as of late has been able to more than double its horsepower from aftermarket stuff. Hopefully the magnitude of the corvette aftermarket can change that, though.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PaintballaXX
This statement is self-contradictory. Any if you mean his engine wasn't forged the I bet he was using race gas, or he is crazy.

You mean direct injection? Its not DPI. Its just DI. We already have port injection. Also, if you haven't noticed, no DI engine as of late has been able to more than double its horsepower from aftermarket stuff. Hopefully the magnitude of the corvette aftermarket can change that, though.
He is a little crazy, but it was with pump gas with alky

Dr. Phil achieved a 9 second 1/4 YEARS ago with a forged 346 and an auto on 94 Sunoco (thats how long ago it was) with stock Ti exhaust.

DI/DPI... I will be the first person to say I am not an expert. However, I have been racing for perhaps a decade or two and know what I have seen. I have "heard" that some very interesting things are in the works

If you're going to argue hp/liter, you should really join a Honda website, they'd love you there!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

No it doesn't! The number on cylinders will not determine the amount of power you make! So you're telling me that a 5.0 liter 4cyl will make less power than a 3.0 V8? Secondly, head design plays an important role in determining the efficiency a motor. Take for instance an M3 motor(2002-08). They make over 500rwhp with 8psi of boost. The head design of an M3 flows more cfm than an ls1 or C6 vette stock(I've tested). Third as I expressed earlier, DOHC motors have a significant advantage of pushrod setups, because you are able to control intake and exhaust timing! This is why I expressed earlier that you can not find a motor with equal displacement making the same or more power than a DOHC setup.
You have your points w dohc motors, yes they are more efficiant, regardless you arent going to convince me nor anybody else smaller cubes are better in any application for racing.
You are also being very optimistic of M3's running 500 rwhp on 8lbs of boost. Regardless if you are buying a bmw to go fast, you bought the wrong car.
Do you think anybody in a stock LS7 is going to be scared to line up with a 500rwhp bmw
There is a shop near my house that strickly does, bmw, and other imports,from what I have personally seen it takes more than that.
They wanted to give me free dyno pulls with my Viper no thanks.
You are forgetting the loss of torque, which plays a huge role in racing, that small cubes are lacking.

Just for example, a friend a me just built our foxes, at the same time, he went with the 408, I went with the 306, our cars have identical setups, the only thing different are the cam's and the size of the AFR heads, on the same PSI he makes well over 100lbs of torque and Hp than I do, and that is all over the torque band.
A dohc motor can compensate for that but only so much.
There is no replacement for displacement, isnt just a saying, its the truth.
The only people who argue are the guys who a strictly into imports.

If you are talking heads and flow, I have AFR on my fox, which are the best in the bussiness, the LS series head are very simular.
If you say you have "tested" at what lift did the M3 heads flow more? that plays a major role.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 10-11-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

You have your points w dohc motors, yes they are more efficiant, regardless you arent going to convince me nor anybody else smaller cubes are better in any application for racing.
You are also being very optimistic of M3's running 500 rwhp on 8lbs of boost. Regardless if you are buying a bmw to go fast, you bought the wrong car.
There is a shop near my house that strickly does, bmw, and other imports, it take more than that.
They wanted to give me free dyno pulls with my Viper no thanks.

If you are talking heads and flow, I have AFR on my fox, which are the best in the bussiness, the LS series head are very simular.
I'm not saying augmenting cubes do not play a roll in overall performance because it does, especially if you are running n/a. But, increasing displacement does not give you hp. It gives you the ability to make more power. But the only way to make more power is to increase VE(volumeric efficiency) at redline!

Lets take an:

LT5
LS1
LT1
LT4

for an example. All have 5.7 liters. All based on the similar platform except LT5(DOHC) and all weigh nearly the same. First of all, the 1993 lt1 produced 300hp@5000rpm and 340lb-ft@3600rpm. It wasn't until 96 that the lt4 produced 330hp. The lt5 in the 93 zr1 produced 405hp@5900rpm and 400lb-ft@4000rpm. Now that we're comparing apples to apples, there is a 105hp and 60lb-ft difference in output, let alone a narrower powerband, all from the same displacement.

As a matter of fact, now the difference in output is a staggering 35% and in torque 17.6%. If that is not a significant figure, I don't know what is. Ironically, these two engines were put in the same chassis side by side and both corvettes, so i don't see how any vette fan could be biased towards one or the other either.

Fact of matter is, it wasn't until 10 years after the first ZR1 that chevrolet matched the output of the powerplant with the ls6.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM
crwtrans
Burning Brakes

You are forgetting the loss of torque, which plays a huge role in racing, that small cubes are lacking.

Torque does not play a role in roll racing. That is what a standard is used for so you can manipulate your torque curve. Furthermore, torque does not accelerate you car.

Get notified of new replies

To Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 PM
kageryu311
Pro

There are a lot of smaller motors that are stronger than bigger motors as far as boost is concerned. Look at the 2JZ-GTE, The Porche motors and the Terminator Cobra motors. Smaller displacement than the LS-series motors but can make more power on the stock internals safely.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 PM
kageryu311
Pro

its funny how you actually think that Viper has a supercharger, that Viper at most had an exhaust
How do you know? An 800whp GT-R with aggressive gearing a good powerband (obviously) and more power and torque can't take a Viper with less power? The P800 packages on the GT-R are doing low 10s on pump gas and much easier to drive than a Viper. Its a street race as well and we all know anything can happen on the street.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kageryu311
There are a lot of smaller motors that are stronger than bigger motors as far as boost is concerned. Look at the 2JZ-GTE, The Porche motors and the Terminator Cobra motors. Smaller displacement than the LS-series motors but can make more power on the stock internals safely.
It doesn't hurt that the Terminators and 2JZ come from the factory with forged pistons. The LSX motors do not. Try making 800rwhp with the stock pistons in a Non-turbo 2jz and see how well that goes. For that matter, lets see how much power the 2jz(turbo version or not) can make on pump gas, and compare that to what an LSX motor with better pistons can make on pump gas...

Quick Reply: Modified GTR vs. Modified ZR1 who would win?