Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Changing up to an M5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeSkid
...he's now looking for the right plain CTS-V and we're gonna SC it ourselves. 560hp is apparently pretty easy with a bolt-on supercharger, rails & pullies. Well, you C5&6 guys would know more about that than me.

$20-25K CDN for an '04 + the SC.... a little less than a new M5
You're obviously talking about the previous-gen CTS-V if you're going to add a SC. The current gen is much, much nicer in every way. It's also a lot more $. But have your buddy do his research before buying. The first years were LS6s, then they go LS2s. I think the LS2 is probably the way to go. All of the diffs were weak, but I believe the early cars were the worst.

And with a blower either the LS6 or LS2 should be able to achieve 550+ RWHP on pump gas with the right supporting mods.

-TJ
Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
If he's looking at M5s why would you suggest the CTS-V Coupe? Most people agree the CTS-V Sedan looks better, and why give up the rear doors and rear seat room with no real benefit (the Coupe is just as heavy)?

I think the whole point of ub3r sedans like the M5 and CTS-V is that they are big 4-doors that also are wicked fast. If you want a fast 2-door just get a 'vette (or the new Camaro Z28 when it comes out if you really want back seats).

-TJ
If the OP likes the CTS V sedan better than the CTS V coupe...get the sedan. I like the CTS V coupe better...and probably brand new costs about the same as the M5 used..

The CTS V coupe offers a little more practicality over the corvette being that it has 2 + 2 seating...and its a little easier to get in and out of...being more a sports coupe ...than sports car..

Its a middle ground between the M5 or CTS V sedan and the corvette...

with performance that will smoke a M5...and its good looking ..

Again..its just a personal opinion... Either CTS V is probably a more reasonable daily driver than the m5 which maintaince without an extended warranty would be..

I do like the M5...but I believe the CTS V either in coupe or sedan form would be a better daily driver...(especially from a maintaince perspective)

I like the factory LSA powerplant big time. Impressive and luxurious...probably faster than an m5 as well.

Quick Reply: Changing up to an M5?