Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Changing up to an M5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 AM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing up to an M5?

What do you guys think? My car is so modded, Im growing tired of it as a DD. Im thinking of a black 07 M5 within the next few months. 5.0 500hp V10 and 7 speed automatic...
Old 10-09-2010, 11:30 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

What do I think? I think threads like this one are a waste of time and space. What does it matter what anyone else thinks? If you prefer the BMW, then buy it. Personally, I hate them. In my mind, they're synonymous with arrogance and idiotic drivers. Still, what I think shouldn't matter one iota to you. Drive what you want to drive and be done with it.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Buy a used 500+hp "stock" Z with a warranty and drive to your hearts content!!!...
Old 10-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I think this is a C6 forum. I think I'd stay with a C6. Maybe those folks in the Other Cars forum might have some suggestions for you.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Not a bad choice if you are looking for a change, everything I have read about the M5 has been positive.
Myself I would keep the Vette and find something very inexpensive and basic for a DD. Then I doubt you would grow tired of your Vette.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:40 AM
rmedina
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand where you are coming from. GM can't touch BMW when it comes to quality.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:40 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
What do I think? I think threads like this one are a waste of time and space. What does it matter what anyone else thinks? If you prefer the BMW, then buy it. Personally, I hate them. In my mind, they're synonymous with arrogance and idiotic drivers. Still, what I think shouldn't matter one iota to you. Drive what you want to drive and be done with it.

Whoa, chill out.

If you think it's a waste of time and space, why do you contribute?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Up ??????.................................. .............not
Old 10-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by VettinFan
Whoa, chill out.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing against bimmer's here, and maybe get your V-10 while you can, as BMW is pulling the plug on big multi cylinder engine's and going more to inline 6 tubo's to meet fuel efficiency rating's. A guy with our open day track group sometime's bring's a 5 litre V-10 M6 vert, and while a thing of rolling beauty, really doesn't have the low end torque to haul all that curb weight of threat to most late model Vette's. Get what you want, but quite happy keeping my LS7 ZO-6.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

horrible idea esp. for a C forum.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

110%
Stupid and somewhat ignorant post. The OP should read C&D a bit more about changing up to a M5.

Some of the BMW's are nice for luxury like the 6 & 7 series along with the SUV's. However, the rest of the car line is rather boring without any real sense of style at all. Many of the smaller BMW's amount to what is now refered to as German rice.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Whoa, chill out.

Originally Posted by Stingray23
I made no attempt to contribute to the process of telling the OP whether or not he should switch cars since he provided no information other than "I'm thinking about it - what do you think?" Help me understand the point of starting such a thread and I'll eat my words. If people here say, "I like the M5 better than the C6" is that a good reason for the OP to make the switch? If people here say "Keep the C6", is that a good reason to keep it? With no info on what the OP wants or needs in a car, what he likes and dislikes about the contenders, asking for opinions is pointless.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:09 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have owned several BMW's over the years. Before my last vette, I had my heart set on the e60 M5. Prior to that I had an e39 M5 and sold it and bought a used 7 series to hold me over until the E60 M prices dropped to a reasonable number. Needless to say, the 7 series was not for me and I sold it. The prices on the E60 M's were beyond my justification so I began searching. I was never a vette guy but always a chevy guy so I started giving the vettes more consideration until I happened upon a great deal on a new 07 C6 Vert. That car was a great car and never had a single issue to speak of during the 3 years I owned it. When my lease was up on it, I didnt even consider the M this time around (well maybe briefly) and found a great deal on a slightly used 09 Z06. I couldnt be happier.

That said, I always liked the M's but they are troublesome. Lots of electrical issues. There were some Vanos issues among other things. BMW's saving grace is the service which is second to none. The biggest issue I see with the e60 M's is that the new body style is out and the new M's are being tested. The new M will feature a twin turbo V8 making the 10 cylinder in the E60M a thing of the past. As such, the E60 M's value will plummet making this the wrong time to get one. Of course that is just my opinion. I have owned 4 BMW's and my wife currently has an X5. They make great cars and back them with the best service in the auto industry but still, I would think twice about the e60 M. You might look long and hard for an M6 but even that is slated to change soon. Why not consider a newer if not new Z06?? There are some great deals to be had out there and with 0% financing, it might be a viable option for you.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by slief; 10-09-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Go ahead and get one. Just don't try and track it-I don't need any more rolling road blocks please.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Whoa, chill out.

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
110%
Stupid and somewhat ignorant post.

RIF, what did the OP post? Here, I'll help you, since neither of you seem to have read what he posted.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

It sounds like you dont like your vette anymore because you modded it so much. Well, unmod it or replace it with another vette or like someone posted, pick up a small daily driver, maybe 4 banger so when you get in your vette, its a major diff in power and enjoyment.

But, its up to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing up to an M5?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Guys, guys, guys....in the world of internet and conjecture, I think the OP is expecting all kinds of responses. Not just the "oh that's a great idea!" or, "oh, that's alousy idea and here's why...!!!"

Mine is short and to the point, Mike's is his opinion and a bit more in length. Is it inappropriate? Not at all. The OP did not say or ask that those who have no opinion or a negative opinion, please don't respond.

I responded. For a Vette forum, weird to ask the very open ended question. just my opinion, but it's as valid as the next.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JimTN

RIF, what did the OP post? Here, I'll help you, since neither of you seem to have read what he posted.
This is a Corvette forum with most members either owning or very much into the Corvette. Lets be honest for a moment. Most guys who spend time on a car forum are probably pretty passionate about the car. For the OP to take a shot at the Corvette and many of the forums members by stating "Changing up to a M5" is not only arrogant it is somewhat ignorant.

If the OP did not use the words "changing up" more then likely he would get some honest responses. Again, taking a shot at a car many are passionate about is without question the wrong way to start a thread.

Now I know this is the new kinder and gentler Corvette forum. However, without a little controversy and the ability to stick up for car a member owns and is passionate about the forum becomes just another politically correct waste of time. Let us all hope that never happens.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:41 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Changing up to an M5?