Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

ACR Viper record at the Nurburgring falls!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
...Only hope would be for GM to offer near race tires as an option, ala Viper ACR......even then to knock 6 secs off would be near impossible imo.
Exactly why I'm getting tired of hearing about the record times for the ring. Manufacturers are building cars that I wouldn't even want to drive on the street just for bragging rights.

For the record though, on a track that long 6 seconds is not really that much. Race compound tires would definitely knock of 6 seconds on that track.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Love the GTR and its track capabilities but I find this part of the article hard to believe.....

while the coefficient of drag is further reduced from 0.27 to 0.26.

That would make it more aerodynamic than a C6Z and even the base C6.

The GTR is no slim car and is much like a brick flying through the air is why I question this piece of information. Other than that I'd pickup a GTR if I had the cash laying around.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Qtr_Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if GM would camp outside the Nurburgring like Nissan did and had alot more rounds on the ring they would do better IMO.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:38 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The problem with that car is that it is just too ugly. Nothing about how it looks makes my pulse jump.

Now, the 370Z, that car looks the part. If that car had the guts of the GT-R, Nissan would have a winner.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:14 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
The problem with that car is that it is just too ugly. Nothing about how it looks makes my pulse jump.

Now, the 370Z, that car looks the part. If that car had the guts of the GT-R, Nissan would have a winner.

The 370Z looks stout. The flared rear emulates the look that GM was going for with the Z06.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

this is why we have an Other Cars section
Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

The 2010 Viper ACR would be easily 2 seconds faster than the previous one, just from the transmission change alone. 2010 Vipers actually have a usable 5th gear, instead of two overdrives found in the 09 and older cars. I believe the record ACR run could only muster 156 mph on the long straight, due to the aero drag and that weaksauce 5th gear ratio.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

...... and to take the cake the ACR has ZERO nannies! The GTR is practically a remote controlled car with all the electronic aids driving the car for the driver. :o

*Keep in mind I really do love the GTR and respect the car a ton but no one can deny that it's sooooo advanced it takes a lot of the "driving" away from the driver.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

After running with two GTR's in my class at Road America last April I commented on how we Z06 owners better learn to respect these cars. Ugly or not (and like opinions we all know where that leads us) the GTR can haul the mail.

Tom
Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
I'm probably in the minority on this one but the Z06's interior works for me. ..............but as long as my butt is comfy in it then what I really care about most is performance!
Having had 3 Z's I don't think the seats are all that comfortable on a trip and they SURE are not performance seats.

Lets have some seats that give lateral support and a slot for harnesses.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Love the GTR and its track capabilities but I find this part of the article hard to believe.....

The GTR is no slim car and is much like a brick flying through the air is why I question this piece of information. Other than that I'd pickup a GTR if I had the cash laying around.
The GT-R and C6Z both recorded the same drag coefficient in the wind tunnel used by Sport Auto, 0.31. That's a static wind tunnel; one with rollers to allow the wheels to rotate and channel the air may produce a different figure. The GT-R has a larger drag area than the Z06, though. That's countered by much lower lift figures (net 3kg of downforce vs 36kg avg lift on the Z06).

As for the warranty, if it's voided then it could be the same as any manufacturer who voids warranty on the basis of participating in a timed event on a track. I'm sure plenty of GT-R owners have tracked on the 'Ring without warranty issues (same as for other brands).

Originally Posted by Qtr_Z06
I think if GM would camp outside the Nurburgring like Nissan did and had alot more rounds on the ring they would do better IMO.
Absolutely 100% agreed.
Jan Magnussen said he could lap the ZR1 in under 7:20. I have no reason to doubt that.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

The drag coefficient of the GT-R is very good and the new 2012 is even better.

...... and to take the cake the ACR has ZERO nannies! The GTR is practically a remote controlled car with all the electronic aids driving the car for the driver. :o

*Keep in mind I really do love the GTR and respect the car a ton but no one can deny that it's sooooo advanced it takes a lot of the "driving" away from the driver.
A lot of the guys that have really tracked the GT-R at it's limits know that it's not as easy as many think. Driver skill still has to be there. WIth that said if you saw the video one of the editors got to go along for a ride in one of the new 2012 GT-R's piloted by one of their track pros and he was amazed at how much better it handled in all areas and was much faster.

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
After running with two GTR's in my class at Road America last April I commented on how we Z06 owners better learn to respect these cars. Ugly or not (and like opinions we all know where that leads us) the GTR can haul the mail.

Tom

Originally Posted by greendot
Having had 3 Z's I don't think the seats are all that comfortable on a trip and they SURE are not performance seats.

Lets have some seats that give lateral support and a slot for harnesses.
I agree with you and maybe I worded it wrong. I would like a better performance seat in the Z06 especially for the track but I've never been uncomfortable with the stock seats when street/highway driving.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

I'm not a big Nissan ( the company ) fan boy but I've got to give them credit on this one.

They took the same 2012 GT-R to the N ring to run that your going to be able to buy on your Nissan dealers showroom in the next few months.

I know that Nissan didn't want to post the times of the special edition Spec V that only a select few would get to own to the N ring for this test. Nissan has yet to release the older Spec V's ring time let alone the newer one. Inside sources from Australia that are close to Nissan says that the older Spec V ran a 7.19 and the newer one would easily knock a few seconds off that time!

The car is the real deal like it or not. I hope we can see the next generation C7 go over there and kick some butt.

BTW some of the Viper guys over on the forum are trying to get enough members to kick in the money to send over the current 2010 ACR to try and reclaim the record!!

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 10-18-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: ACR Viper record at the Nurburgring falls!!